Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitted a clutch today. What caused the issue after...  (Read 2093 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Fitted a clutch today. What caused the issue after...
« on: 28 August 2015, 21:59:59 »

Peugeot 307 1.4 HDI

One of the worst cars I've ever worked on. it was a hard and difficult job in itself but mainly cos the car was an absolute dog with zero maintenance ever received.

Aaaanyhoo, firstly let me say no one had driven this car so no one knew what it was like prior to the clutch replacement...the clutch had been diagnosed by another place.

In the process of removing the gearbox I noticed the slave cylinder was pishing out brake fluid. And that the shift linkages had a lot of play.

After the clutch was fitted it was hard to get out of 5th.

What was most likely the issue? presumably if it was the slave then it was simply not engaging the clutch fully due to lack of fluid pressure. or was it the linkage not pulling the gear out enough due to the play.

I know its difficult to diagnose from the armchair but whats most likely in your esteemed opinions?

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
Re: Fitted a clutch today. What caused the issue after...
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2015, 22:01:46 »

ps just to add the slave is mounted on the outside of the box on these cars so to savehaving to bleed the clutch I simply unbolted the slavefrom the box...so in short the hydraulic system wasn't opened  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2015, 23:06:51 »

Should have changed slave cylinder,and also should have been test driven prior to changing clutch,just to make sure it was required,also selector rod bushes checked and replaced.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2015, 09:05:20 »

It's a bit worrying a garage will change a clutch based on the word of another garage without a road test!
Is it just 5th it struggled to get out of? :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2015, 19:50:09 »

In hindsight you're probably right. but having said that it's quite common for customers to call saying ''can you fit 'x' part'' and we simply fit it. as opposed to customer coming in asking for diagnosis then fitting. if they trust their initial source we wont argue with them. that's just the way it is.

The slave and linkages were advised but the customer didn't get back to us after we quoted them for the parts, I guess some people want the cheapest option and aren't interested in preventative maintenance....supported by the fact this car cant have had a service in years  :(

so, with regards to the actual issue... yeah it was just 5th that was hard to get out of. if you ''pushed'' it lightly in to gear and lightly out it would come out no problems. the trouble was when you tried to move it quite obviously all the way to the right and up / down to and from 5th.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2015, 22:05:56 »

If one gear is more difficult to engage/disengage than the others - especially on a WWD (wrong wheel drive) - then check the gear linkage for wear & adjustment .

After that then start to suspect wear or damage in the gearbox :-\ (quite possibly as a result of driving with a clutch that won't release fully.......)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2015, 22:11:48 »

If one gear is more difficult to engage/disengage than the others - especially on a WWD (wrong wheel drive) - then check the gear linkage for wear & adjustment .

After that then start to suspect wear or damage in the gearbox :-\ (quite possibly as a result of driving with a clutch that won't release fully.......)

I thinkyoure bang on there mate. especially as if it was the slave surely all gears would be affected?

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2015, 22:35:12 »

I thinkyoure bang on there mate. especially as if it was the slave surely all gears would be affected?

Years ago cars didn't have synchromesh on reverse gear so that would be the first gear to complain (loudly) if you tried to engage it with a dragging clutch.

If 5th gear is noticeably different to the others then I would definitely run through the process for adjusting/aligning the linkages before doing major surgery.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2015, 12:31:03 »

Thanks Andy  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2015, 14:23:33 »

Years ago cars didn't have synchromesh on reverse gear so that would be the first gear to complain (loudly) if you tried to engage it with a dragging clutch.

If 5th gear is noticeably different to the others then I would definitely run through the process for adjusting/aligning the linkages before doing major surgery.
Yes, on the Land Rover I learned to drive in,  you had to double declutch between first and second through the lack of synchromesh. When engaging first or reverse, you had to push the cogs together and wait for a gap.
My missus still does it.  ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2015, 23:51:44 »

It's a bit worrying a garage will change a clutch based on the word of another garage without a road test!
Is it just 5th it struggled to get out of? :y

Seconded - would be concerned to take any car of mine there ???
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.