Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Modified SL pump bracket for LPG ECU?  (Read 2804 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Modified SL pump bracket for LPG ECU?
« on: 30 August 2015, 17:28:43 »

Anyone ever attempted this?

I was looking at the possibility of butchering one and bending the frame so it sits vertically rather than horizontally, obviously to do that you would lose the outermost fixing so it would just be bolted to the chassis rail.

Any thoughts?

05omegav6

Re: Modified SL pump bracket for LPG ECU?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2015, 17:53:58 »

Not sure you'll have space to due to the shape of the inner wing... Don't forget that the headlight ecu sits up behind the indicator in the only extra vertical space.

Lpg ecu slots neatly horizontally between the sl pump and the inner wing, effectively across beneath the headlight. The loom then enters the engine bay via the hole under the airfilter.

Here it splits... Ecu/power feeds drop down to chassis rail and forwards then follow the loom across the lower cross member. The rest, injectors/sensors/tank/dash feeds chase around the inner wing under the coolant bottle, splitting again where the powersounder used to live... Injectors then running along bulkhead to drop into the existing injector wiring... The rest running through the grommet behind the clocks.

If that makes any sense :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2015, 19:13:28 »

Headlight ECU is up higher on both of my Elites (ie. Not near indicator) you have to remove the arch liner to stand a chance of seeing it. Plenty of room on the bracket to mount the LPG ECU, just a bit concerned it is a little lower than I would like, that said, the SL pump happily sat there for 12 years without electrical issues.

I think I might try a little bit of metalworking tomorrow and see what I end up with..... I mean, what could possibly go wrong?!

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2015, 19:19:45 »

Different Road, but same post code ;)

Above the pump is about as protected as it can be in that area :y I did look at slotting it in between the airfilter and the inner wing... It almost fits but the shape of the wing/size of the ecu prevent it :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2015, 19:29:47 »

Thing is... I have no SL pumps on either of mine as both run B4's so I removed them. My aim really is to ensure the ECU is vertical as per Kevin's advice. :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2015, 21:03:18 »

I made brackets on my saloon and fitted it along with the SL pump.

On my estate (and TBE, and several other Omegas) it is bolted straight to the arch liner. Never had a water problem yet, including some very deep puddles ::)

Mind you... One of AC Stag's party tricks is to have a system running with the ecu submerged ;) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2015, 21:35:57 »

That simplifies things. Alot.

IIRC, the spacing of the two bolts into the chassis rail isn't too far different to the spacing of the mountings on the ecu...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2015, 22:32:49 »

That simplifies things. Alot.

IIRC, the spacing of the two bolts into the chassis rail isn't too far different to the spacing of the mountings on the ecu...

That could be worth investigating.  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2015, 23:32:45 »

;)

One observation though... It makes the wiring a bit tight. If you are going to wire in the big grey injection plus then it isn't a big drama :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2015, 08:38:19 »

Cool, mine would sit higher than that as there is no pump in situ.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2015, 12:24:07 »

On my estate (and TBE, and several other Omegas) it is bolted straight to the arch liner. Never had a water problem yet, including some very deep puddles ::)

Mind you... One of AC Stag's party tricks is to have a system running with the ecu submerged ;) :y
Not on TBE, that's on a bracket, as I was uncomfortable to just mount it on the liner. SL pump sits alongside it.

VXL V6, I believe AC's preference is to mount with the loom pointing downwards. I must have read that somewhere, else would have mounted mine the other way up.  So no issue to mount higher, but probably worth keeping vertical?
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2015, 12:41:18 »

Not on TBE, that's on a bracket, as I was uncomfortable to just mount it on the liner. SL pump sits alongside it.

VXL V6, I believe AC's preference is to mount with the loom pointing downwards. I must have read that somewhere, else would have mounted mine the other way up.  So no issue to mount higher, but probably worth keeping vertical?

Not sure if AC suggested it or just Kevin and I but mount with plug at bottom and, ideally, at a slight angle so loom exit from plug is slightly lower meaning water will drip off before ECU :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2015, 21:21:02 »

Kevin suggested having the ECU vertical to allow liquid to drain away from the plugs, the drain loop on the cable is common sense as I was always taught to do that on external wiring.  :y

Looking at the ECU and loom plug / lock mechanism there are two rubber gaskets incorporated so moisture is unlikely to enter the ECU through that route, the most likely route of ingress would be via the cable entry to the plug assembly.

One oddity is that the cable plug on the kit I have has the cable exiting to the right whereas I notice Lazydocker's exits on the left.

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2015, 22:05:45 »

Difference between 300 and 300+ :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2015, 22:38:47 »

Difference between 300 and 300+ :-\

Could be.  :-\

Works out better for me as the loom will be closer to it's inner wing exit points.  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.