Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crankshaft locking for pulley removal.  (Read 2966 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Crankshaft locking for pulley removal.
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2019, 20:18:04 »

I`ve heard some outrageous fun can be had unbolting the crank pulley bolt  :D
The torque setting is huge me thinks  ::)

In the past, on my Senator, I've just used a well placed clout of a lump hammer ..... it's all in the wrist action  ::) ::) however Marks suggests that 'isn't wise' on an Omega  :)
Or ..... block up a suitable spanner against the floor or inner wing & kick the starter. The last time I tried that (on a FWD car) I managed to wrap the ABS sensor wire around the spanner  :-[

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2019, 14:03:02 »

having done three in the past two years I stand by locking the crank. if the crank locking pin is inserted correctly so all is showing is the knurled end of pin you will not have even a thou play on the pulley. so no chance of damaging any thing. i admit it still needs brute strength but a good socket, breaker bar & i use a jack handle slipped over the bar. when i have done mine i have heard it crack then i have had to re-position the socket & bar then on the second attempt it made the cracking sound again . after that i can remove the bolt with a 1/2" ratchet. use a new bolt.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2019, 14:12:09 »

having done three in the past two years I stand by locking the crank. if the crank locking pin is inserted correctly so all is showing is the knurled end of pin you will not have even a thou play on the pulley. so no chance of damaging any thing. i admit it still needs brute strength but a good socket, breaker bar & i use a jack handle slipped over the bar. when i have done mine i have heard it crack then i have had to re-position the socket & bar then on the second attempt it made the cracking sound again . after that i can remove the bolt with a 1/2" ratchet. use a new bolt.

Very different on the V6, it tends to destroy the key on the sintered cambelt drive sprocket  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.