Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i have inherited a 96 omega diesel 2.5 with 65000  (Read 2082 times)

jdmcomp

• stockport
    • omega
    • View Profile
i have inherited a 96 omega diesel 2.5 with 65000
« on: 26 July 2018, 21:03:50 »

i have inherited a  96 omega diesel 2.5 with 65000

is it woth keeping.  has full service history and seems ok.  I have never owned a diesel before.  I think I may sell it but have no idea what's it worth

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: i have inherited a 96 omega diesel 2.5 with 65000
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2018, 21:54:56 »

saloon or estate? manual or auto,body condition?rusty arches etc all have a bearing

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2018, 08:43:13 »

Hello and welcome.

The 2.5 Diesel is a popular choice, especially with the manual box. If it's an estate and not a nail, you could have a good car there.

I'd certainly buy one, if the right one came up.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2018, 11:27:09 »

Hello and welcome.

The 2.5 Diesel is a popular choice, especially with the manual box. If it's an estate and not a nail, you could have a good car there.

I'd certainly buy one, if the right one came up.

Hence why no-one on here was interested in mine, and it went on Gumtree for £400. >:(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2018, 11:29:43 »

I found with my Turbo Weasel that with the autobox it felt frequently in the wrong gear, but also there never seemed to be any difference in mpg whether I drove it foot to the floor or like a nun on Sunday. The same cannot be said for the petrol V6....  ;)

Perfectly good engine in a very good car - so long as its not a rot box, as said. Give us more info, we're interested.  :)

PS, as extra info GM detuned the engine from the original BMW output, a remap is said to be a very good mod.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2018, 11:38:27 »

And as an answer to Mr Shackeng, he makes a hugely valid point, that being - Omegas are worth slightly less than a half eaten packet of crisps.

They are fine cars, easy to maintain, reliable with a few little things to keep an eye on, spacious, comfy, parts readily available. This does, however in no way relate to used values, they are totally underrated cars, as were the Carlton and Senators before them. And their values haven't climbed, really, so Omegas won't be appreciating any time soon I suspect.

This means than you can easy spend more than the car's value on parts to get it 'right'... which sounds bad, but that's really only because they're worth so little in the first place. I won't go into the 'to do' jobs on any old Omega, its been covered much on here, and also not the point of this post - simply that their monetary value is far, far less than their functional value.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2018, 11:50:43 »

They are fine cars, easy to maintain, reliable with a few little things to keep an eye on, spacious, comfy, parts readily available.
I know, I regret getting rid of mine. There aren't many estate cars that can take an 8x4 plasterboard, or a double mattress and still have room to spare.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2018, 12:57:50 »

I found with my Turbo Weasel that with the autobox it felt frequently in the wrong gear, but also there never seemed to be any difference in mpg whether I drove it foot to the floor or like a nun on Sunday. The same cannot be said for the petrol V6....  ;)

Perfectly good engine in a very good car - so long as its not a rot box, as said. Give us more info, we're interested.  :)

PS, as extra info GM detuned the engine from the original BMW output, a remap is said to be a very good mod.

I would agree with that. I frequently used third as the auto selection, the 'D' on long straights, Mways etc. My engine had the full fat chipped ECU which gave it very respectable performance. In fact I miss it a lot.:y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2018, 13:01:45 »

They are fine cars, easy to maintain, reliable with a few little things to keep an eye on, spacious, comfy, parts readily available.
I know, I regret getting rid of mine. There aren't many estate cars that can take an 8x4 plasterboard, or a double mattress and still have room to spare.

That's what I miss most. The Mondeo has a good sized load bed, but shy of the Omega's. IMO they have given the rear pax too much legroom in the Mondeo Estate, certainly more than the Omega Estate, another 2" would have made all the difference to the load space. :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2018, 15:47:29 »

;D Loved all my td estates,just could,nt get on with 2.2 dti engine,gutless compared to the chipped 2.5,s i had! and agree with autobox comments,MAYBE if mrs omegatoys box survived more tha 60 odd miles after i chipped it, I could have liked it?/ ;D

would buy another now back in uk if i could find one!!

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2018, 16:48:55 »

If you can afford to look after it, it would make a nice hobby and I don’t suppose you see many at showes?
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.