Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: specsavers  (Read 1433 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
specsavers
« on: 04 May 2019, 13:11:14 »

wife & i recently had eye tests & purchased specs from specsavers. i opted for every day use a pair of varifocals & polaroid single vision sunglasses, & wife a pair of varifocals. when we went to collect my specs were put the lens in the wrong frames. wifey tried hers on & long distant was ok but reading wise she couldnt see anything on the card that they give to read off. in my case i had to wait a week for the lens swap but the wife was told that varifocals needed to be worn & got used too. she,s had throughout the years dozens of pairs & never had problems. on our return i picked up both pairs but re my wifes she explained to them were no good for reading. they messed about for two hours & finally a guy took them did something but fixed them. apparently it was the shape of the lens & originally the varifocal bit was wrong. but i think that type of establishments are more focused on the sell of spectacles

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Re: specsavers
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2019, 13:34:13 »

That's interesting raywilb, as my wife has just had a new pair of varifocals from them. When she tried them on she said that long distance was worse than her old pair. They checked them and did other things, then told her the same they take time to get used to. She has had vari's for years. I will tell her about your wife, she can then go back in and complain again.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2019, 22:21:52 »

Ahhh , Specsavers . >:(

I always got my glasses from them up to about six years ago. I always felt uncomfortable ( as in robbed ) after a visit to them as the 2 for 1 or half price never seemed to work out to my maths .My impression of them was / is that they just funnel you down a purchase route leading you to a considerably higher final cost than you anticipated , all explainable though.. ::)
So , as I said about six years ago I started to have my eyes tested and once done asked for my prescription and said that I'd return later when I had more time to have all the costings explained to me prior to purchase  :). This was always met with some disdain.
I then took my prescription and bought on line at a fraction of Specsavers cost.
I have purchased about ten pairs of reading , distance and sunglasses in that time and never had an issue at all, all have been perfect .
But let me tell you about my most recent visit to them.
In Feb this year I had my eyes tested before the two year recommended period as I felt some strain when using a screen. The optician who tested me in Specsavers , who actually turned out to be the franchise owner , mildly scolded me for having the test early and after a thorough examination said that the difference between the last prescription and this one was insufficient enough to warrant a new pair of reading glasses. I asked him specifically did I need a new pair and he again said no.
At the end of the eye test the sales assistant came in ,collected the paper work relevant to my test and whilst listening to the hand over I distinctly heard him say to her " optional " twice .
Out we went and she leads me to her sales desk ,opens up the folder and says to me that the optician recommends that I have a new pair of reading glasses.
Oh says I , that's funny as I specifically asked if I needed such and he said no so perhaps we should get him out here now and ask just what is going on ?
With incredible speed she closed the open file said OK then thanks , got up and abruptly left me sitting at the table .
Before she got four paces I asked in a loud voice for my prescription to which she faced me with the most plastic of smiles and eventually produced the most  illegible of prescriptions . I paid my test fee and left .
I should say that my wife paid over €340 for two pairs of glasses at the same visit.
Since then I found this by Martin Lewis .
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-glasses/
I've had two pairs of semi rimless prescription reading glasses from Selectspecs for less than €20 each  delivered , both optically and finish perfect ,and am waiting on a pair of rimless prescription distance glasses from goggles4u in America for the princely sum of $6 ( yes 6 dollars ) .If no good then I won't go back and won't cry either .
As a post script I was asked to review my recent visit to Specsavers and after thinking about it I told it as it happened no more no less.
Two days later I got a phone call from the owner /optician who in the most round the houses way apologised without actually apologising ....
He said that he could not recall who the sales assistant was but did not understand how such an error could occur , Yeah.
He promised to raise the issue at the next staff training day and rung off.
So I'll only ever use them for my eye test in the future ,paid in full by myself ,and they can erf off .

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2019, 22:34:32 »

The ASDA I used wasn't much better. The prescription distance glasses I was handed were worse than those they were replacing and I said so when I tried them on .... this was kind of ignored as I was asked to pay for them. I said again that I wasn't happy with them as the optician (different person than originally tested me) was passing, she took me for another test after which we went out into the store to test them while she used extra correction lenses. They were better but I'm still not convinced they're correct.
When Mrs Beanz collected hers they weren't correct either ... same original optician

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2019, 00:15:10 »

My off-the-shelf specs from Poundland are fine! :y

Ron.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2019, 08:42:04 »

I went to Specsavers for the first time a month ago.

It's the only Opticians I've been to that said I didn't need new glasses.
I like red cars

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2019, 11:44:23 »

I went to Boots for my eye prescription (Specsavers couldn't do an eye test for a fortnight and I had broken my previous reading pair)
I then took the prescription to Specsavers as the glasses were much cheaper than Boots.
They agreed to make the glasses up by the next day. I choose a £25 frame. Went the next day, they were ready and were perfect  :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2019, 00:17:25 »

I had a nightmare experience with Specsavers. Same situation as others on here. They came up with the crap about getting used to them, after I have had varifocals for ages. They made my eyes water, gave me headaches. When I went back to complain, I had a rant, and went up the 'pass the buck' scale until I got to a different opthalmist  who went potty because I had been sent from the shop with incorrect specs. I was given a new test, new glasses and a full refund. Came out ok in the end, and I think someone got a roasting from the shopfloor. Never been back....I use a private optician in Poole now, and never been happier with the service. Possibly a bit dearer, but its my sight, you only get one go at it !!! :)
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.