Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyundai Terracan - who had one?  (Read 6380 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Hyundai Terracan - who had one?
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2018, 09:42:43 »

Yes it's me 😀 bought mine in 2012 with 25,000 miles on the clock now on 75,000 and has never missed a beat will tow our twin axle Elldis Crusader Storm as if it's not even
there, towing MPG 26 average 30 solo best was 33. Serviced once a year always use genuine parts , timing belt every 6 years or 60,000 miles . Absolutely brilliant off road & are capable of mega mileages if looked after. Most people who have owned one would buy another if still produced. Mine is a late 2005 & I have every intention of keeping it for at least another 5 years , timing belt etc was changed earlier this year at main dealer. Don't see many in the UK plenty in Spain where I am at present , they are very popular in Australia where I am led to believe most ended up there is an owner's forum which I went on when I first considered buying one which was extremely helpful. I paid £5450 for mine from eBay private seller who needed the cash for a business venture really wanted around £6500 but accepted my best offer, so it owes me nothing now I consider it to be an absolute bargain.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2018, 09:52:32 by Tilbo »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2018, 11:14:59 »

Thanks Tilbo, sounds promising, although I'll be fishing at the lower end of the market! Mpg is better than I would have expected  :y, take it yours is a manual?

My concern over a 3 pedal car is that buying with about 100k on and then doing serious towing seems a recipe for a busted clutch/ dmf (if fitted).

2boxerdogs

« Reply #18 on: 12 October 2018, 11:36:19 »

Yes mine is a manual , the lady who I bought it from bought it new she told me that she was advised by the dealership not to use supermarket fuel, after going on the forum a few owners had problems with injectors & all switched to premium brands which solved the problems I have always used BP diesel with no issues.

2boxerdogs

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 12 October 2018, 13:13:14 »

Thanks Tilbo, sounds promising, although I'll be fishing at the lower end of the market! Mpg is better than I would have expected  :y, take it yours is a manual?

My concern over a 3 pedal car is that buying with about 100k on and then doing serious towing seems a recipe for a busted clutch/ dmf (if fitted).

Mine is still on the original clutch , I never ride the clutch on my cars & have never replaced a clutch in any of my previous vehicles. I met a chap at a caravan site a couple of years ago with aTerracan who had just had the clutch replaced at 130,000 miles at the main dealer cost just under £900 .He had  owned the vehicle from new.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 October 2018, 18:25:34 »

Hardly ground breaking clutch life... 135k is pretty typical for an Omega clutch  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #22 on: 12 October 2018, 20:56:04 »

Hardly ground breaking clutch life... 135k is pretty typical for an Omega clutch  :D

Have no idea of clutch life having never had to replace one, just offering advice on a prospective purchase which has no bearing on a Vauxhall Omega clutch.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 October 2018, 22:41:55 »

it'll be a long time (if ever) before I buy a JLR product again!
The post BMW ones are an awful lot better...  ...Ford did a half decent job of sorting stuff out, and the Indians have finished it off.

While you may be proved right, history has shown me they're sh!te, and I'll need time to be convinced.

The only two people I know personally who've had modern jags have both suffered problems I consider unacceptable in a modern car.

1. Facelift Gen 1 XF (less than 3yrs old do thankfully a warranty job) dead electrics due to a boot full of water from leaking light cluster. The same issue that afflicted our x-type and many others. Clearly not learning from their mistakes.

2. XJ 3.0D with bubbling paint at less than 5yrs old. Not an uncommon problem and utterly utterly unacceptable to me on a car made in this decade.

Time will tell I'm sure, but JLR is not for me for the foreseeable future.
1st gen XF is little more than a properly configured X Type.  But I thought all the X type common issues (rust and leaks) were resolved.  I know the 8 speed gearbox initially caused a lot of issues when it was introduced (around 2011/2012) but otherwise there seem to be no serious common faults.

My XJ paintwork suffers. Not sure if its from factory or if its been touched up (few places seem to be able to properly do Ali)
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2018, 23:44:37 »

I'd guess it depends what you do with em. I'd consider 130k pretty good if doing a lot of heavy towing, but total bobbins if trolling up and down the motorway for a living.

And trust me, if you could buy a 4wd omega that could tow 3.5T, I'd be buying one!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2018, 00:06:48 »

This one has very low mileage and a very good MOT history. Only been doing a bout 4K miles a year
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809280956537?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1501&model=TERRACAN&postcode=bs32ab&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&make=HYUNDAI&sort=sponsored&page=1

It's a pity I'm not in s place to go looking now, that does look a smart one for sure, 3 pedals notwithstanding.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2018, 00:21:28 »

Mitsubishi and Hyundai both reliable, but any significant repairs will cost £££ Some of our older Shotguns, '57/8 have done nearly 300k miles, but still fetch well north of £3k at auction :o

Sounds like MrsGKs work - their Shoguns are on moon miles and very rarely put a foot wrong. She's quite attached to them.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2018, 01:02:25 »

Have no idea of clutch life having never had to replace one, just offering advice on a prospective purchase which has no bearing on a Vauxhall Omega clutch.
As was I ;)

Hardly ground breaking clutch life... By way of example, 135k is pretty typical for an Omega clutch  :D
Edited as my meaning was clearly , er, unclear ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2018, 20:07:44 »

My Hyundai contact confirms weak power train on well used ones
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2018, 08:35:55 »

Regarding the looks of the vehicle when I was on the owners forum a real enthusiastic owner in Australia who had shown some of his off road experiences, had also obtained a "chrome garnish kit" which consists of a one piece chrome front grille , bonnet air intake trim, mirror covers & rear light trim , I really liked the look of it & managed to get the kit direct from Korea for around £200 the front now looks identical to a Toyota Land Cruiser which quite a few folk have mistaken it for. It is without doubt a copy of a a Land Cruiser in its design . My final bit of advice would be to try & find a one owner one with full history which I did & have kept up with religiously I now think of it as a comfortable reliable vehicle which is totally capable in any conditions you throw at it. I have owned several 4x4s over the last 30 years the best have been Hyundai & Subaru.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.