Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear tie rod ball joint removal recommended tool.  (Read 841 times)

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Rear tie rod ball joint removal recommended tool.
« on: 03 October 2019, 10:54:23 »

Hello and good morning Omegians.

Had a go at moving the rear tie rod adjusters with no luck so thought best to remove and throw in a tank of diesel for a day or two and use the vice to free them up.
Ball joints all look good so dont want to wreck the rubbers removing them with the pickle fork, which I hardly ever use anyway as a good whack with a lump hammer mostly pops them out.
However this one is hard to get a swing at, so I was thinking of purchasing one of the myriad of ball joint removal tools available has anyone found one particularly suitable for the rear tie rods that does not damage the boots. Or maybe another method.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Rear tie rod ball joint removal recommended tool.
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2019, 11:27:04 »

Can't remember which I used, but the only 2 I have are the fork type and the screw type - https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht222-ball-joint-remover/

TBH, you probably what to replace entire tie rods (and grease the threads before fitting), so not sure I'd be concerned about idiotting it with whatever was to hand.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2019, 12:31:15 »

Borrow another big hammer, and use both to pop the joint apart. The only place I don't do this is on aluminium castings. Do it right and you'll separate main suspension balljoints with two blows that have been together for 40years.

You probably need new adjusters anyway.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2019, 13:38:26 »

Borrow another big hammer, and use both to pop the joint apart. The only place I don't do this is on aluminium castings. Do it right and you'll separate main suspension balljoints with two blows that have been together for 40years.

You probably need new adjusters anyway.
Access is a bit tight there from memory.  I'm a fan of the 2 hammer method (if an air hammer fails - because I'm an idle bastard ;D), but I do recall using splitters when I did TBEs a couple of years back. Just cant remember which of my splitters I used. Its an age thing.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.