Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Key Programming  (Read 5327 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Key Programming
« on: 01 April 2016, 22:00:15 »

What's the crack with this/ My dealer seems incompetent.

Went in 3 weeks ago - my 3 button key fob locks and opens the boot 100% reliably, but the door unlock is extremely flakey. Sometimes I have to open with the key, which then sets the alarm off till I start the car. I assume the open switch in the fob is dickey. So I go in to order a replacement key.

They want V5 log book, passport, drivers license and inside leg measurement. I think they were surprised when I said yep - got all that in the car. Next they want the cars key-pass, which sadly I don't have. So £22 to re-order, and then I' booked in a week later for a re-programming.

A week later I pitch up, and the key hasn't arrived - it's on special order from Germany. So re-book for a week later which was today.

Pitch up today and leave the car with them for an hour, Go back, and they're saying the key won't program to the car. They're re-ordering another key incase it's faulty, but suspect it's the car, and want me to book it in for an hour's investigation - presumably at £100+ an hour. break that.

So - what's involved in programming a new key? - 3.0 FL Elite auto saloon on a Y plate? I've got a Tech 1 - can I do it with that? The immobiliser chip is fine - it's just the radio controlled central (un)-locking that's iffey.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Key Programming
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2016, 01:25:50 »

When I bought a new remote from a local locksmith I was there for less than 15minutes on a Saturday morning. Drove up, he got the part from stock and the tech2, I gave him the car pass and my spare remote and he programmed both. Cost about £65 2 years ago. The woman after me paid another £20 because she didn't have the car pass. They will also supply and cut a key to code while you wait.

This is an everyday procedure if you use the right people. That is rarely a dealer.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2016, 20:14:08 »

When I bought a new remote from a local locksmith I was there for less than 15minutes on a Saturday morning. Drove up, he got the part from stock and the tech2, I gave him the car pass and my spare remote and he programmed both. Cost about £65 2 years ago. The woman after me paid another £20 because she didn't have the car pass. They will also supply and cut a key to code while you wait.

This is an everyday procedure if you use the right people. That is rarely a dealer.

Yes - that's what I was expecting from the dealer. The one I use is usually Ok, but on this occasion....

What I don't get is - I have a working blade and transponder in the old key. Can I just remove the non working button unit and replace it with something like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega-3-Button-anti-theft-Megamos-T-AM-2001-2004-car-key-remote-fob-/291671101581?hash=item43e8f3d08d:g:UmwAAOSwoydWqKOm

Then re-sync by pressing the ignition in and open/close buttons. Or does the fob itself need programming too?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2016, 20:30:34 »

I think a new fob needs to be programmed into the ECU before you can sync it :-\

The synchronisation is required because the fob needs to send a different code every time to prevent a thief with a scanner capturing a code  and playing it back to unlock the car later.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2016, 22:44:21 »

Bet they ordered wrong fob.  Happy to look anytime, either Brackley in eve/weekend, or Bletchley at weekday lunch
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2016, 22:45:20 »

Assuming you have carpass
Grumpy old man

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2016, 16:19:04 »

Only need Car-Pass for immobiliser or any other ECU programming...

Usually with the fob, as long as you have the correct frequency transmitted to the CL ECU then it should just be a case of programming to the car via ignition and 10 secs....

Could also be that the fob just needs repairing/soldering....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2016, 18:14:42 »

Usually with the fob, as long as you have the correct frequency transmitted to the CL ECU then it should just be a case of programming to the car via ignition and 10 secs....

Incorrect.
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2016, 21:15:22 »

Well - I have a car pass now - arrived in the post over the weekend. Whether or not it's the correct car pass is quite another matter.

The car is booked in for another go at programming a new key a week on Saturday. If they can't do it then, then I'll tell them what I think of them  ::)

I'm quite surprised at the complexity of this programming. I don't understand why there are two programming's needed - one for the transponder, and another for the remote. If I were setting it up I'd allow the remote to be programmed in car providing a valid transponder signal was present in the ignition.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2016, 21:36:28 »

Well - I have a car pass now - arrived in the post over the weekend. Whether or not it's the correct car pass is quite another matter.

The car is booked in for another go at programming a new key a week on Saturday. If they can't do it then, then I'll tell them what I think of them  ::)

I'm quite surprised at the complexity of this programming. I don't understand why there are two programming's needed - one for the transponder, and another for the remote. If I were setting it up I'd allow the remote to be programmed in car providing a valid transponder signal was present in the ignition.
The transponder and the fob are totally unconnected (until you clip them together).
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2016, 21:49:39 »

The transponder and the fob are totally unconnected (until you clip them together).

Yes - I understand that the transponder needs programming to the car (though I'm unsure if it's to the immobiliser or ECU). But - once you've done that and got a valid, programmed and recognised transponder in the ignition and the ignition turned on then the CL fob ought to be able to be synced without requiring Tech 2. After all, you've got enough there to open the car (with the key), start the car and drive it away regardless of remote C/L FOB.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2016, 12:55:44 »

Incorrect.

Elaborate..... instead of just saying incorrect.... :y  :P
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2016, 14:56:27 »

Incorrect.

Elaborate..... instead of just saying incorrect.... :y  :P

You were quoting the procedure to re-synchronise an already programmed remote fob. It doesn't work on a fob that the car isn't programmed to. It doesn't affect the immobiliser at all.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2016, 15:50:49 »

There you see, thats a much better answer :y
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2016, 16:28:50 »

There you see, thats a much better answer :y

It has been covered before. In this thread.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.