Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Poll

Who would you like to be the next leader of the Conservative Party and PM of the UK?

Boris Johnson
Jeremy Hunt

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: The Runners and Riders!  (Read 28327 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: The Runners and Riders!
« Reply #165 on: 18 June 2019, 13:02:07 »

In short, the selection of Boris, or whoever it is, to be Great Britain's Prime Minister has been done by a very small number of Conservative elite and this cannot be considered a sound democratic process for a long term, let alone even short term, Government.  Those elite  do not speak for me or you, but are acting on their own agendas. That is not democracy, and just makes everything we have seen over the last 3+ years even worse.

A General Election is the only way forward now for the sanity of the Country. :y

I don't remember ANY sort of contest when Gordon Brown became PM?  ???  He was just installed as our new PM and that was that for 3 years!  ::)

I don't think the lefties complained about the lack of democracy then....  :-X

A GE is the last thing we need right now IMO. The Tories will do better to sit tight and let Labour rip themselves apart over BREXIT as the clock ticks down to Halloween!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 18 June 2019, 13:14:09 »

Good point.  The question was really intended to show who people would like to be PM not necessarily who they think will be.  ::)

I definitely answered the question that was asked, as I would rather just about anybody than BoJo, who I selected as my poll vote.

I don't remember ANY sort of contest when Gordon Brown became PM?  ???  He was just installed as our new PM and that was that for 3 years!  ::)

A GE is the last thing we need right now IMO. The Tories will do better to sit tight and let Labour rip themselves apart over BREXIT as the clock ticks down to Halloween!  :y

No, but apparently it very much bothered Boris at the time. Amongst other things he called it a 'stitch-up' and a 'coup'. Clearly he's less bothered about it at the moment  ;)
https://evolvepolitics.com/boris-johnson-said-it-was-a-scandal-fraud-for-an-unelected-pm-not-to-call-immediate-general-election-after-inheriting-top-job/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 18 June 2019, 16:42:22 »

At the moment, the Brexit party is ahead in the polls and the Tories are in a solid 3rd place. For a Tory to wish for an election is to wish for either Farage or Corbyn in number 10.
Personally I would be happy to see *Farage in number 10, but would want someone to call in the generals if Corbyn won.

* As would 46% of Tory party members according to a poll this week.  :)

Not surprised as, no doubt like me, they cannot see Boris or any of the others as a credible leader who can actually deliver Brexit.  After all, Boris is saying when he says anything that he will get us out at the end of October. How exactly he is going to achieve that he never says! ::) ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 18 June 2019, 16:49:41 »

In short, the selection of Boris, or whoever it is, to be Great Britain's Prime Minister has been done by a very small number of Conservative elite and this cannot be considered a sound democratic process for a long term, let alone even short term, Government.  Those elite  do not speak for me or you, but are acting on their own agendas. That is not democracy, and just makes everything we have seen over the last 3+ years even worse.

A General Election is the only way forward now for the sanity of the Country. :y

Indeed, but at least he was the Chancellor of standing (for Labour!)  at the time, so had some credibility. :D

I am just so angry as to how our futures are going to be handled by THAT man when he, from my point of view, has no credibility and has achieved nothing, so why should we just accept what a small bunch of MP's decide is best fore the country when he has made so many guffs! >:( >:(

I am going to lay down now! :P :P :P ;D ;D ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 18 June 2019, 17:27:21 »

*Theresa May was a completely discredited and useless Home Secretary, and then popped up from behind the sofa to somehow become PM without even so much as being elected by her own MP,s, never mind the party members or the general public.
Its her who has put the Tories in their current position in the polls, not Boris or anyone else.
Im no great fan of Boris, but unless his opposition is Raab, then I have little choice but to vote for him, cross my fingers, and hope its a case of "cometh the hour. cometh the man".
The quality of the candidates is really very poor, but that's to be expected I suppose with the Modern Tory (unconservative) party.  :(
One thing Im certain of is, if we dont leave the EU (and leave properly) at the end of October, the Brexit party will sweep up many millions of votes at any election after that, and maybe finish the Tory party off completely.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 18 June 2019, 17:51:10 »

No, but apparently it very much bothered Boris at the time. Amongst other things he called it a 'stitch-up' and a 'coup'. Clearly he's less bothered about it at the moment  ;)

https://evolvepolitics.com/boris-johnson-said-it-was-a-scandal-fraud-for-an-unelected-pm-not-to-call-immediate-general-election-after-inheriting-top-job/

Yes of course he said all that, he was in opposition.  What else was he supposed to say?  ???  Congratulations on your coronation Gordon!  ;D

At least Boris is going through a contest (of sorts) to get the job.  ;)

Mind you I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gordon Brown with his usual complete lack of sense, attacks Boris for becoming an unelected PM!  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 18 June 2019, 17:53:32 »

Indeed, but at least he was the Chancellor of standing (for Labour!)  at the time, so had some credibility. :D

I don't think I've ever heard Gordon Brown described as having credibility before!  :-\  ::)  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 18 June 2019, 18:12:27 »

Raab out!

So that's five left...

STEMO

« Reply #173 on: 18 June 2019, 18:15:45 »

Raab out!

So that's five left...
Ah....Demonic Raab as Jonathan Pye calls him.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 18 June 2019, 18:19:10 »

Our elected representatives decide how our UK taxes are wasted spent. At least we can get rid of them every five years and elect a different bunch of idiots to waste our money. ;)
True, but in reality the whole country is run by the civil servants, not matter what knobs are fronting it.

Civil servants advise, ministers decide is the rule in Westminster. Much of what the ministers would like to do they can't due to EU directives, as their preferred policy breaks EU law. How much influence the civil servants have on policy is also dependent on how hard working & how competent the minister is. PM May has a particularly bad reputation here, plus she never listens to other ministers & MPs advice, preferring her personal advisers & civil servants.
Methinks you don't grasp how it works. A Minister, Prime or otherwise, cannot go against the senior civil service if they want the job next week.

Even the most ardent Brexiteer can't even begin to blame "Europe" for that, and the UK can and does pick and choose EU the rules it wants to follow.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 18 June 2019, 18:20:07 »

Raab out!

So that's five left...
Surely they must be able to whittle down to 1 by 6:30. I'm bored shitless.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #176 on: 18 June 2019, 18:21:37 »

Our elected representatives decide how our UK taxes are wasted spent. At least we can get rid of them every five years and elect a different bunch of idiots to waste our money. ;)
True, but in reality the whole country is run by the civil servants, not matter what knobs are fronting it.

Civil servants advise, ministers decide is the rule in Westminster. Much of what the ministers would like to do they can't due to EU directives, as their preferred policy breaks EU law. How much influence the civil servants have on policy is also dependent on how hard working & how competent the minister is. PM May has a particularly bad reputation here, plus she never listens to other ministers & MPs advice, preferring her personal advisers & civil servants.
Methinks you don't grasp how it works. A Minister, Prime or otherwise, cannot go against the senior civil service if they want the job next week.

Even the most ardent Brexiteer can't even begin to blame "Europe" for that, and the UK can and does pick and choose EU the rules it wants to follow.
That's how we get continuity in foreign policy, etc. Can't be loving a country one minute and bombing it the minute we change the governing party.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 18 June 2019, 18:24:47 »

We have continuity with foreign policy?  :o   Who knew?!  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #178 on: 18 June 2019, 18:25:21 »

Egg head scraped home by one vote!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 18 June 2019, 18:43:36 »

Well, I have to vote for Boris, and hope I don't live to regret it. I couldn't possibly vote for any of the others under any circumstances. ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.