Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was looking at something else....  (Read 1286 times)

STEMO

Was looking at something else....
« on: 18 June 2019, 16:54:49 »

.....and came across this. What a view those guys had:

https://youtu.be/JultKcPcKjk

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Was looking at something else....
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2019, 17:42:29 »

Was walking in the Yorkshire Dales with Mum and Dad, must have been 25years ago and two Tornados  caught us totally unawares. Scared us shitless but the sound was awesome. There is always something magical about seeing (and hearing) a jet plane when it,s below you. Thanks for the link. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2019, 17:53:31 »

My Gran lived about five miles from RAF Swanton Morley. The Tornados from RAF Marham would regularly 'bomb' it at speed on their way back from the ranges in the wash.

Likewise the F111s and F15s from Lakenheath... 8)

The only other time we used to hear a sonic boom over land was the 9pm Charles de Gaul to JFK Air France Concorde as it flew west over Guernsey at about 9:25 every evening. Flat out 8)

Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2019, 18:04:35 »

1981 , I was servicing some equipment at the reservoir that supplies Peebles in the Scottish Borders .
The reservoir is basically a large subteranian tank high above the town and at the end of a long valley.
Something caught my eye way down the valley flying towards us at very low level , keeping my eye on it I said to the res.keeper who was with me something along the lines of " what is that .....is it ....nah ...opps... it's a ...WHOOSH... :o
It was only then I seen him cowering in the opposite direction with his hands clamped over his ears .
I felt the wash from it's engines as it climbed up and over the hill we were on . It was very similar to that video.
Jaguar I think, on regular low level exercises, although I'll never be sure .

There was also a section of the old A9 that was stitched onto the side of long curving valley and it was most alarming to find a hercules overtaking you at eye level whilst northbound.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2019, 19:53:21 »

Pitlochry perhaps :-\

The 'new' A9 runs along the western edge of Loch Tummel, bypassing the town, dam and loch, but the old road is still used to get to/from the north (A924)  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2019, 20:53:06 »

A great sight, and I just wish I'd been clever enough, and born in an age that allows women to fly fast jets, to do just that. :D ;)

All I could do was watch some wonderful moments during the time we spent in Malta during 1962-64 involving All types of aircraft, of different nations, but still to this day it is the Vulcan bombers that impressed most. Then have the privilege of attending the Fairford Air Show over a number of years watching some very impressive flying by USAF fighter pilots 8) 8)

A few times on holiday in the Lake District though I have witnessed RAF fighter jets making low level runs and that, like in the film clip, is so impressive 8) 8) 8) :y

« Last Edit: 18 June 2019, 20:55:11 by Lizzie Zoom »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2019, 21:08:35 »

A few times on holiday in the Lake District though I have witnessed RAF fighter jets making low level runs and that, like in the film clip, is so impressive 8) 8) 8) :y

Makes you jump when you are rowing a boat on Derwent Water and they fly over at low level towards Windermere.  ;D ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2019, 07:56:35 »

Makes you jump when you are rowing a boat on Derwent Water and they fly over at low level towards Windermere.  ;D ;D

Indeed! ;D  ;D ;D 8)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2019, 12:41:16 »

That's an area in North Wales called the Mach Loop - or more accurately Machynlleth Loop. It's part of a low flying area (LFA7) that has become very popular with toggers in the last few years. There are a few other low level areas as well, but that's the most popular with the photographers.

The RAF have currently banned their fast jets from using it due to a number of incidents where the crews were 'playing up' to the photographers who 'just happened to be there' - or probably more accurately the crews had leaked their intentions and schedule to civilians who would arrange to be there to get some good photos  ::)

Can be interesting on days before or after big airshows - like Yeovilton or Fairford. Arriving/Departing aircrews often fancy a crack at the loop, so some interesting types may be visible. A USAF C-17 did it last year. However, foreign crews have to 'book a slot' at least 2 weeks in advance - it's not just a run-what-you-brung thing anymore.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2019, 21:22:44 »

when I lived on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales (Long Preston) they'd fly down the ginnel under our bedroom, and out into the back garden.  Great when you've got a new born.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.