Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EGR cheater x30xe (motronic)  (Read 11695 times)

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
Re: EGR cheater x30xe (motronic)
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2016, 22:27:16 »

Here is how I built the EGR cheater for my 1999 3L MV6 (Motronic ECU) based on the Z22SE EGR cheater purchased from the Z22SE club (cost around £10) I would imagine any cheater built for the Z22SE engine would work just the same.

Firstly, I cut the wiring socket from an old EGR valve so that my finished product would simply plug into the engine loom - I'm not a fan of chopping up wiring looms.

Since I was also fitting 2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds, I was able to completely remove all traces of the EGR valve and made a blanking plate for the side of the plenum - as can be seen in the last picture.

Step 1 - pins 1, 2 & 3 on the EGR cheater were connected to pins B, C & D on the EGR socket and a long wire onto pin 4 for connecting to the switching side of a small 12v relay (I used an old Carlton fog light relay because it was nice and compact)

Step 2 - connect 2 wires to pin E on the EGR socket (plain yellow wires in the next pic).  Since this is just to give you 2 +12v connections for the relay (1 on switching side, 1 on the switched side), you could also connect just one wire here and bridge at the back of the relay, your choice.

Step 3 - connect a wire to pin A on the EGR socket (yellow wire with red trace in next pic) which will go to the switched side of the relay

Finish off by wrapping in insulating tape or heatshrink as you prefer.  When complete it's small enough to be tucked away in the front cable tray...

Nothing to see here...

Clutter removed...

Blanking plate on the side of the plenum...

If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2016, 08:28:42 »

Nice work :).

Personally, I'd recommend something a bit more water resistant than insulating tape, such as a small box with sealant where wires go in, as dampness can creep in.

Fancy combining the circuit diagram and these pics (and also a pic of the rear of the vero to show cuts etc) into a new thread, and we'll ask Jimbob to add as a guide?
Grumpy old man

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2016, 09:37:30 »

Cheers TB.

Yeah, it is a little "exposed". When I was building it back up after the pics, I wrapped it in self-amalgamating tape (the stuff that sky engineers use on cable joins) but it needs to remain as small as possible to fit in the cable tray  ;)

I'll do an all-in post to put up as a guide - right enough, this topic does come up every now and then.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2016, 12:27:17 »

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need this when there's a blanking plate in situ?

The egr valve can do what it likes to little avail. And as long as its plugged in, no fault codes.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2016, 13:30:11 »

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need this when there's a blanking plate in situ?

The egr valve can do what it likes to little avail. And as long as its plugged in, no fault codes.

It's one less thing in your way when you're working on the engine  ;)

I removed the secondary air injection and all of the aircon components for much the same reason - no longer required/didn't work so they went in the bin.  I can change the auxiliary belt now without even having to remove the bagpipes, and changing the plugs on the left cylinder bank is a doddle, even getting into the b* bolt on the coolant transfer pipe is easy without the aircon pipes on the way  :)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2016, 12:21:01 »

it all looks like white mans magic to me, but I am watching this post with interest as I think my dti may have an egr problem

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2016, 17:57:48 »

it all looks like white mans magic to me, but I am watching this post with interest as I think my dti may have an egr problem
DTi needs the EGR, and can't be (as easily) cheated. Diesels run a shed load of egr when cruising, for economy reasons. On petrols, egr is for emissions, esp NOX
Grumpy old man

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2016, 19:34:30 »

I can't speak for this engine but tried it on a X14XE engine, blanking plate and an EGR plugged in close by, because of the absence of the EGR it was running lean and engine light came on.

calibrated

• Croatia
    • Opel Calibra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 February 2016, 11:28:51 »

Thank you for your info...will be wiring up sooon so will inform you about results

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 February 2016, 11:36:03 »

I can't speak for this engine but tried it on a X14XE engine, blanking plate and an EGR plugged in close by, because of the absence of the EGR it was running lean and engine light came on.

Cant have been blanked correctly, EGR Is based around the fact that exhaust gasses are inert so no impact on mixture with or without EGR 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2016, 11:38:22 »

Exactly the mod I have been looking for! Blanking the EGR is one thing, but having it sitting there effectively useless, and in the way, I never liked the idea of. Makes for a cleaner engine bay. Looking forward to seeing these in full-scale production! :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2016, 11:52:03 »

Cant have been blanked correctly, EGR Is based around the fact that exhaust gasses are inert so no impact on mixture with or without EGR

Yeah, sounds like it was leaking air at the blanking plate.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2016, 18:03:33 »

Im in the process of doing this mod, and have been looking for the circuit diagram to sort it for mine...

@SJC - Did you remove the AC pump....? What size aux belt did you use....? Im trying to use a non AC X20XEV aux belt as I thought that was the correct size, but it's too short...? I really don't want to re-install the AC pump if I don't have to...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2016, 18:16:08 »

@SJC - Did you remove the AC pump....? What size aux belt did you use....? Im trying to use a non AC X20XEV aux belt as I thought that was the correct size, but it's too short...? I really don't want to re-install the AC pump if I don't have to...
Go into any factor, and ask for an Aux belt for your car, emphasising it has no A/C. There are 2 different lengths, 10mm difference, based on age I believe.
Grumpy old man

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2016, 20:02:35 »

Yeah, I removed all of the AC components and used a non-AC belt

Part # 93181718 ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT (21.36 X 1900 MM)  W/O AirCon

Belt also has 6 PK 1900 marked on it which looks like a Gates part number to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.