Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Window Blind  (Read 6176 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Rear Window Blind
« on: 06 July 2019, 10:22:32 »

My rear window blind, that I retrofitted over two years ago, has suddenly stopped working, just as I need it.  It was working two months ago!!

This morning I have checked the fuse and the wiring connections back to the electric motor.  Power is getting through to there, so is it common for these electric blinds to stop working? Any recommendations please???? ??? ???

Do not really want to have the rear parcel shelf out again.................but, if I have to.......... ::) ::) ::)

None of my previous ones stopped working! ::) ::) :P

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Window Blind
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2019, 10:43:15 »

Does it just click when you press the button?

Common problem i'm afraid, had four different ones do it but managed to get them working for another 12 months or so... then they break again and the process repeats!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2019, 10:48:53 »

Does it just click when you press the button?

Common problem i'm afraid, had four different ones do it but managed to get them working for another 12 months or so... then they break again and the process repeats!

No.  No click, nothing I'm afraid. :'( :'(

I did wonder if this is an age thing with these units that are at least 16 years old, and they sit in a fairly hostile environment under the back shelf that can get very hot in the summer. ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2019, 11:03:49 »

They died within a couple of years when new. You need to check over the motor and mechanism carefully.

The pre-facelift ones are slightly more robust than the facelift ones for some unknown reason although the one I have here is black rather than anthracite and has a different material / design to the blind itself.

Incidently, if you remove the shelf from the car, try powering it out of the car and see if it springs to life.....

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2019, 11:39:41 »

They died within a couple of years when new. You need to check over the motor and mechanism carefully.

The pre-facelift ones are slightly more robust than the facelift ones for some unknown reason although the one I have here is black rather than anthracite and has a different material / design to the blind itself.

Incidently, if you remove the shelf from the car, try powering it out of the car and see if it springs to life.....

Is the motor the same and can it be fitted to my existing facelift blind?  If so, is it for sale? ??? :D ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2019, 11:53:21 »

I cant say for certain, I'm clutching at straws, but if its found to be the motor, surely most electric motors have their specs written on them, and replacements can be sourced, it doesn't have to be a 'vauxhall' motor, if you follow? I don't know, because I've never had one apart to that extent, but id assume this to be the case.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2019, 11:56:53 »

I cant say for certain, I'm clutching at straws, but if its found to be the motor, surely most electric motors have their specs written on them, and replacements can be sourced, it doesn't have to be a 'vauxhall' motor, if you follow? I don't know, because I've never had one apart to that extent, but id assume this to be the case.

That's a thought! :D :D :D  :y :y

Has anyone any knowledge of suitable auto electric motors that would be the same as the ones fitted to our F/L Omega's? electric blinds ??? ??? ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2019, 12:26:15 »

When the blind packed in on my MFL it came back to life again simply by helping the motor spin  ..... there was just enough spindle sticking out of the motor to get hold of.
It was very rare my blind was ever lowered ..... usually by SWMBO as she complained she could see to reverse with it raised.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2019, 12:30:05 »

When the blind packed in on my MFL it came back to life again simply by helping the motor spin ..... there was just enough spindle sticking out of the motor to get hold of.
It was very rare my blind was ever lowered ..... usually by SWMBO as she complained she could see to reverse with it raised.

Ah, that's interesting.  Give it a helping hand?  I may well try that. :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2019, 13:04:04 »

Sadly I think best bet, whatever happens is to pop it out and have a play, much as its annoying to have to.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2019, 13:23:11 »

Hi Lizzie.

Have you unplugged the black connecter in the n/s back wheel arch and double checked you are getting power to that .?

I had a similar issue with mine as they tend to go "lazy" if not used for long periods and a light tap on the motor body may spring it back to life assuming you are getting power to the motor.Also try helping the blind up by hand whilst pushing the button is it may of just got stuck in the rails .Then wil need a very light lubrication with some silicone spray but go gentle as you don't want to apply too much .

If all else fails only real solution is to remove the entire unit and strip the motor down ,but a replacement motor would be quicker,although finding one could be a challenge.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2019, 13:27:27 »

Actually 1 for sale on Fleabay….323847669514...might be a quicker option if you could arrange courier or OFF Pony Express.!! :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2019, 14:37:30 »

Hi Lizzie.

Have you unplugged the black connecter in the n/s back wheel arch and double checked you are getting power to that .?

I had a similar issue with mine as they tend to go "lazy" if not used for long periods and a light tap on the motor body may spring it back to life assuming you are getting power to the motor.Also try helping the blind up by hand whilst pushing the button is it may of just got stuck in the rails .Then wil need a very light lubrication with some silicone spray but go gentle as you don't want to apply too much .

If all else fails only real solution is to remove the entire unit and strip the motor down ,but a replacement motor would be quicker,although finding one could be a challenge.

Thanks amba :y

I have tried some of that, but I am going to try again and other ways to get it going, as these motors are now rare.  I would love to bang the motor body, but of course it is inaccessible, being between the shelf and the metal section of chassis that holds the speakers. ;)

Anyway, I have not given up yet, but will try again during the week; other household chores to do first!  :D ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2019, 16:03:11 »

A Womans work is never done...ah !!! ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2019, 17:30:02 »

A Womans work is never done...ah !!! ;D

Too bloody true!! :o :o :D :D ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.