Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x4  (Read 10963 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: 4x4
« Reply #60 on: 04 March 2018, 19:59:37 »

So reading between all the other stuff that has been written. Would you really need a 4x4 with diff lock etc to cover the odd bit of snow on our roads or would a awd with winter tyres do just as well. Not counting for height clearence. I just dont really want to buy a x5 or a range rover for the odd couple of days.So no diff lock required.

Subaru Forester would fit the bill perfectly , we are on our second one ideal choice will cope adequately with the weather we have just had , would not take on hard off roading but will travel across fields easily, no diff lock on these, have taken ours across farmland with no problems.Classed & badged as AWD.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2018, 20:10:43 by Tilbo »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 March 2018, 21:02:12 »

So reading between all the other stuff that has been written. Would you really need a 4x4 with diff lock etc to cover the odd bit of snow on our roads or would a awd with winter tyres do just as well. Not counting for height clearence. I just dont really want to buy a x5 or a range rover for the odd couple of days.

I would buy either a cheapish(<£1000) 2.0l Vitara as a second car.
Or, more likely a £200 Corsa/Fiesta/clit and fit  a set of the cheapest chunky tyres I could find. Your basic throwaway transport.

It's the tyres and driver that matter in even the worst snow we see, not the car.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #62 on: 04 March 2018, 21:15:41 »

So reading between all the other stuff that has been written. Would you really need a 4x4 with diff lock etc to cover the odd bit of snow on our roads or would a awd with winter tyres do just as well. Not counting for height clearence. I just dont really want to buy a x5 or a range rover for the odd couple of days.

I would buy either a cheapish(<£1000) 2.0l Vitara as a second car.
Or, more likely a £200 Corsa/Fiesta/clit and fit  a set of the cheapest chunky tyres I could find. Your basic throwaway transport.

It's the tyres and driver that matter in even the worst snow we see, not the car.

Don't waste any cash on any 2WD car  they will not cope regardless of what tyres are fitted.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 05 March 2018, 03:52:26 »

Well my rwd £350 Omega managed just fine with only winter tyres... ::)

Pauls biggest issue is actually the need for an auto...
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #64 on: 05 March 2018, 07:19:24 »

All I am saying is an AWD vehicle will cope better than a 2WD he won't require a  " monster truck" to cope with the recent conditions , I'm not questioning anybody's driving skills , it's just common sense that an AWD vehicle will cope easily.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 05 March 2018, 09:39:15 »

All I am saying is an AWD vehicle will cope better than a 2WD he won't require a  " monster truck" to cope with the recent conditions , I'm not questioning anybody's driving skills , it's just common sense that an AWD vehicle will cope easily.

I disagree. A 2WD car with winter tyres will easily out perform a 4WD/AWD car with summer tyres in snowy/icy conditions.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 05 March 2018, 09:42:50 »

Indeed.

Anyway, the snow's gone now so we can all enjoy the comfort, economy and performance of not owning a 4x4 for another couple of years until it happens again. :D

;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

2boxerdogs

« Reply #67 on: 05 March 2018, 10:09:43 »

I disagree. A 2WD car with winter tyres will easily out perform a 4WD/AWD car with summer tyres in snowy/icy conditions.

😀😁😂

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 05 March 2018, 11:25:31 »

V6 Frontera coped easily without engaging 4wd, affordable relaxing 4x4, whats not to like  :D
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

2boxerdogs

« Reply #69 on: 05 March 2018, 11:45:51 »

V6 Frontera coped easily without engaging 4wd, affordable relaxing 4x4, whats not to like  :D

Exactly the 4 wheel drive is available if required.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05 March 2018, 11:50:47 »

The 600 BHP 2018 BMW M5 and Mercedes E63S are both two and four wheel drive.

In my warped mind this makes both cars 'the sensible choice'.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05 March 2018, 12:04:28 »

Indeed.

Anyway, the snow's gone now so we can all enjoy the comfort, economy and performance of not owning a 4x4 for another couple of years until it happens again. :D

;)

What if you already owned one?  ::)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #72 on: 05 March 2018, 12:09:49 »

Indeed.

;)

What if you already owned one?  ::)

Or three 😀

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 March 2018, 12:12:52 »

No accounting for taste :D

Although a late R55/63 would be nice...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 05 March 2018, 17:51:26 »

Most AWD designs are done for cost, and thus its almost as likely to get stuck as 2wd, due to the way all the diffs work.  Some has LSD options which help to an extent.

But as others have suggested, for that 1 day a decade?  In 15 years of Omega ownership, I've never had (unprovoked) issues, and in all my years driving, the only winter issues I've had was a transit not wanting to go straight or slow down on an icy decline, a FWD struggling (but made it) to get up a block paved incline, and roads that you would never attempt as the snow is significantly above the lower front bumper.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.