Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clouds of blue smoke  (Read 3822 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Clouds of blue smoke
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2014, 23:30:00 »

Breathers clear?

grain.ben

« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2014, 23:33:39 »

Yep

Just to add, it smokes constantly when idling let alone left for a few minutes sat at traffic lights for example  :'(

omega3000

« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2014, 23:47:51 »

Stem seals  :y Not a bad job , well it would have been if we didnt replace them in the dark and in the rain at 11pm  >:(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2014, 09:05:11 »

Stem seals  :y Not a bad job , well it would have been if we didnt replace them in the dark and in the rain at 11pm  >:(

Not sure I agree, I reckon it's getting past a ring.

My Astra was exactly the same and changing the stem seals did sod all...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2014, 10:35:23 »

A compression / leakdown test would probably be worth a shot in this instance. If it's getting past the rings the most likely cause is wear. That will (perhaps subtly) impact compression whereas stem seals won't.

It's not going to offer an instant diagnosis, but more information to the mix.

Also, leave it to idle for a while then take the intake manifold off and check for signs of oil in the intake ports and on the backs of the valves.

Does it smoke badly at startup or it it worst once hot?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2014, 11:38:54 »

A compression / leakdown test would probably be worth a shot in this instance. If it's getting past the rings the most likely cause is wear. That will (perhaps subtly) impact compression whereas stem seals won't.

Also, leave it to idle for a while then take the intake manifold off and check for signs of oil in the intake ports and on the backs of the valves.

Yup  :y mine was caked in oil  :(

grain.ben

« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2014, 13:40:50 »

That just went straight over my head as I wouldnt have a clue how to do that.

Smoke is minimal on a cold start, give it a few minutes literally and it starts and doesnt stop.

I stopped beside a glass building yesterday so i had a mirror view of the back of the car (whilst hot) at idling it was smoking, left it to idle for a few minutes to simulate being held up at traffic lights ect ect, then gave a quick sharp blip on the throttle, cloud comes out the back  :'( , and back to constant smoke on idling again. Not looking good either way  :'(

omega3000

« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2014, 14:48:25 »

It does sound like stem seals imo , cheap enough fix if it is that .. take it to garage and have them diagnose or someone on here mite be able to have a look for you  :-\

grain.ben

« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2014, 16:18:53 »

The problem i have is, all my cash has been swallowed up on the baby. Wether stem seals or rings, its still going to incur a lot of cash and i cant have it off the road as i haven't got access to another car, i need some form of transport as a priority as the baby is due in a couple of weeks and its conveniently at the same time its due its mot  :-[ which i know its probably going to fail.

So far, depending on wether im keeping it or not, it needs a new abs sensor for sure, then there is the engine, strip down the head so i might as well replace the head gasket while were there, new stem seals, new cambelt, tensioner and water pump (as its nearly due), new manifold (as im sure its cracked), might as well replace the aux belt too. All this is going to cost me a fortune which in turn will probably cost more than the cars worth at this rate, so im two minds on wether to even attempt all this, and thats even if it is the stem seals, could be something else and worse.

At this present moment, even though not diagnosed, im seriously thinking of getting rid for spares as i cant commit to paying out for it in such a short space of time.  :-[

4x4

« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2014, 17:49:26 »

If its time ,why not purchase a 2nd head thats allready skimmed etc
http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57950
New cambelt kit and waterpump £90 ish or less
Manifold can wait tho,infact it may just be lose nuts.
Coolant
Days work really

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2014, 18:07:23 »

It can all add up , up to you if you think the car is worth saving or put it into another with a full mot .. trouble is you never really know what your buying into till you have it  :(

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2014, 19:04:02 »

Over filled?

...the sump I mean.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 September 2014, 12:41:48 »

But at least i will know if its the rings or not.

Not so :)

If the compression rings are ok but oil control ring shot, you could get a good compression reading but still burn oil by the truck load

If it smokes heavily when cold but clears when up to temp - usually stem seals (where they have leaked overnight over time)

If it smokes when warm, and is worse when revved - piston rings (and bore wear) more likely

Does it smoke on a hard rev after ten mins idling at full temperature?

Does it smoke if you boot it after being on the over run for a period? Eg going down hill engine braking?

this is how my 2.2 went ben....in hindsight wish I had,had it repaired :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2014, 18:52:38 »

Given the minimal cost of these cars, is it worth buying another (runner) and swapping the engine, gleaning all the useful parts from the donor, then scrapping the shell.  Slowing selling any parts you don't need.

That might help pay for the nappies and jar foods...
Grumpy old man

grain.ben

« Reply #29 on: 29 September 2014, 10:21:57 »

Over filled?

...the sump I mean.

No Chris definatly not over-filled, im keeping my eye on the level constantly  ::)

But at least i will know if its the rings or not.

Not so :)

If the compression rings are ok but oil control ring shot, you could get a good compression reading but still burn oil by the truck load

If it smokes heavily when cold but clears when up to temp - usually stem seals (where they have leaked overnight over time)

If it smokes when warm, and is worse when revved - piston rings (and bore wear) more likely

Does it smoke on a hard rev after ten mins idling at full temperature?

Does it smoke if you boot it after being on the over run for a period? Eg going down hill engine braking?

this is how my 2.2 went ben....in hindsight wish I had,had it repaired :y

Thing is, imo this shouldn't be happening to a car that has only covered 74000miles  :o unless it was abused by the previous owner. Im in two mind on wether its possible to find out if its ever had an engine change. I really dont know what to do at this point in time  :-[

Given the minimal cost of these cars, is it worth buying another (runner) and swapping the engine, gleaning all the useful parts from the donor, then scrapping the shell.  Slowing selling any parts you don't need.

That might help pay for the nappies and jar foods...

This is exactly what i was thinking Jamie, only thing is, i have no where to store the car off the road which is a bummer!

UPDATE!!!!!

as of this morning, outside temperature 12 degrees, dampness in the air, stared car from cold, no smoke, only condensation with it being cold last night. Normal driving, engine temp 90, stopped at various traffic lights for at least a minute on each, pulled away normally NO BLUE SMOKE, what the frigging hell is going on, this is puzzling!  :o :o One thing i have noticed, it seems to smoke more when the ambient outdoor temperature is warm/hot and when the fans kick in. When its cool like it is now, it doesnt seem to do it, or as bad  ??? ???

Im thinking of giving it an oil change this week, making sure that everything is clean, breathers ect ect, i know it wont make any difference, then im going to try and at least get it through its mot and then try and sort this burning problem out.

Right, now for another thread on my ABS fault.  >:(

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.