Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-authorisation  (Read 3738 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Pre-authorisation
« on: 09 May 2018, 19:03:47 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44052530

Pre-authorisation. In case you're not familiar with this, the seller of something that you want to buy (very often this is a hotel) will use your card details to Pre-authorise payment up to a certain amount. For example, you book a hotel room and you will pay upon departure, but you may also have a meal and run up a bar bill, so when you check in the hotel gets a Pre-authorisation code up to the maximum that they think you are likely to spend. You go to fill up, in the case below ASDA is getting pre-authorisation up to the maximum amount of fuel it thinks you are likely to buy. The card company or bank then works on the assumption that you may well actually spend that amount and of course it has guaranteed payment to the vendor.

All well and good, except that if every hotel, petrol station, or whatever that supplies something where the final bill is not known until after it has been supplied, it could end up that we can't buy enything as the credit limit or bank funds required would be impractical. Driving to Scotland and back from The South in a couple of days or so, with hotels and a couple of tankfulls may require a very healthy card limit or bank account.

A while ago I booked a holiday. The holiday company got pre-authorisation but didn't use it. Then I went to pay but the card was declined as I needed available funds for double the amount of the holiday. I see some angry voices and a lot of confusion if this becomes commonplace.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-authorisation
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 19:09:47 »

It has been commonplace for decades.

Most clearing houses immediately adjust and update their systems at the point to actually pay (ie, check out, or finish fuelling etc).  Some of those prepayment type debit cards can take a while to update.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 19:14:51 »

Only place it ever happened to me was in The Bronx. Ive never had it happen in this country, and wont do it unless its a dire emergency.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 19:41:09 »

Asda self serve petrol pumps are pre authorising £99, the maximum the pump will dispense, in some places now. Not their idea, all down to Mastercard and Visa.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5703487/Customers-slam-Asda-charging-motorists-99-deposit.html

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 20:01:02 »

The other thing that is becoming more common is charging £1 BEFORE the service is provided along with pre-authorization to make sure a transaction is valid, the full transaction is then taken when the service is provided and eventually, it can take up to a month, the pre-transaction amount is refunded. At the end of the day as long as the rules for a transaction are displayed and transparent, if you want the service then you have no choice but to accept their terms or find an alternative supplier. All retailers pricing and terms are an invitation to trade which either side can decline. :y

The problem as always is the TB 10% cull list who rip off suppliers with insufficient funds, stolen cards etc, which inconveniences the rest of us. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 20:44:42 »

The other thing that is becoming more common is charging £1 BEFORE the service is provided along with pre-authorization to make sure a transaction is valid, the full transaction is then taken when the service is provided and eventually, it can take up to a month, the pre-transaction amount is refunded. At the end of the day as long as the rules for a transaction are displayed and transparent, if you want the service then you have no choice but to accept their terms or find an alternative supplier. All retailers pricing and terms are an invitation to trade which either side can decline. :y

The problem as always is the TB 10% cull list who rip off suppliers with insufficient funds, stolen cards etc, which inconveniences the rest of us. :(
It takes my bank 2 days to either deduct a pending payment from my balance or make it go away. It can take up to seven working days with some banks, but I've never heard of a month. Asda fuel usually comes up as £1 on my account, and the transaction is completed within 2 days.
I've never had a problem with it.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2018, 21:55:41 »

Answer as far as petrol stations are concerned is simple don't pay at the pump,that way there's no pre-authorisation and no refund to wait for :y Having said that a report today says one of the ways to beat obesity is to pay at the pump for fuel and then you're not tempted to buy all sorts of chocolate/sweets/sugary drinks etc. while you're in the kiosk paying ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2018, 22:38:28 »

Answer as far as petrol stations are concerned is simple don't pay at the pump,that way there's no pre-authorisation and no refund to wait for :y Having said that a report today says one of the ways to beat obesity is to pay at the pump for fuel and then you're not tempted to buy all sorts of chocolate/sweets/sugary drinks etc. while you're in the kiosk paying ::)
[/highlight]
Ignore ,em, it,s called willpower. ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 07:39:49 »

I do ignore them,but that's because the prices charged for such stuff are usually stupidly high compared to an ordinary shop,not because of obesity problems[I'm built like a biro refill and eat anything I want]

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 08:35:26 »

It takes my bank 2 days to either deduct a pending payment from my balance or make it go away. It can take up to seven working days with some banks, but I've never heard of a month. Asda fuel usually comes up as £1 on my account, and the transaction is completed within 2 days.
I've never had a problem with it.

The company in their T&Cs say that it will take up to 30 days to be reimbursed. I'm sure in non-ZIRP times with their sale volumes it earns them a useful amount of money but not these days. They are a one of two market leaders in their field and cheaper than their competitor.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 08:51:07 »

[I'm built like a biro refill and eat anything I want]

You can really go off someone, you know.  :P ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2018, 09:03:46 »

It's the main reason I refuse to use Airbnb.  You request a booking, card gets pre-auth'd for the amount. No worries.  Booking is rejected (too few days, owner doesn't like the sound of your name, forgot to update availability, etc) Pre-auth remains on card for about 3 days regardless.  In the meantime you request bookings with other owners and repeat ad nauseum until you have zero balance or get someone who will actually accept the booking, which I have found to be rare.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2018, 09:55:48 »

It's the main reason I refuse to use Airbnb.  You request a booking, card gets pre-auth'd for the amount. No worries.  Booking is rejected (too few days, owner doesn't like the sound of your name, forgot to update availability, etc) Pre-auth remains on card for about 3 days regardless.  In the meantime you request bookings with other owners and repeat ad nauseum until you have zero balance or get someone who will actually accept the booking, which I have found to be rare.

I'm an AirBnB host and never rejected anyone, and "so far" all guests have been great, well one or two have been a bit "odd" but no major issues. However we are not cheap, we're among the most expensive AirBnB places in the area.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 10:12:58 »

[/highlight]
Ignore ,em, it,s called willpower. ;D
I reckon, for some, the walk to the kiosk is the only exercise they get. :D

I do with all petrol stations would have pay at pump (and for LPG), as it's the only way to avoid the idiots doing their weekly shop.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2018, 10:29:25 »

I'm an AirBnB host and never rejected anyone, and "so far" all guests have been great, well one or two have been a bit "odd" but no major issues. However we are not cheap, we're among the most expensive AirBnB places in the area.

Catering for the discerning sheep enthusiast? ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.