Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving in sea/salt water  (Read 9354 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Driving in sea/salt water
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2019, 22:12:08 »

Ouch...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2019, 22:15:31 »

Ours are designed for way way more, seeing the new Evoque on the off road course was quite eye opening, sadly they rarely get used to the full potential

Given that LR products took 4 of the top 5 least reliable large/luxury SUV slots in last year's What Car survey, perhaps a slightly different design focus might be more appropriate....
What was the fifth?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2019, 22:17:20 »

Salt water and metal do not mix !!!

No they don't. But using a 4x4 to tow trailers on slippery surfaces like beaches and launch ramps is one of the better reasons to own one!

If only most of them weren't designed for nothing more arduous than posing on the school run. ;D

Ours are designed for way way more, seeing the new Evoque on the off road course was quite eye opening, sadly they rarely get used to the full potential
But off road courses are generally inland far away from salt water. My ML is apparently capable of driving through a couple of feet of water (off road pack & Airmatic) but I wouldn't let if paddle in the sea.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2019, 22:18:25 »

Ouch...

As the Australians say, you want to go into the outback, you take a land rover. Want to come back again, you take a land cruiser.

What was the fifth?

Ford Edge.

I guess it snuck in under the "Large" part of the criteria.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2019, 22:40:42 »

Salt water and metal do not mix !!!

No they don't. But using a 4x4 to tow trailers on slippery surfaces like beaches and launch ramps is one of the better reasons to own one!

If only most of them weren't designed for nothing more arduous than posing on the school run. ;D

But off road courses are generally inland far away from salt water. My ML is apparently capable of driving through a couple of feet of water (off road pack & Airmatic) but I wouldn't let if paddle in the sea.

I remember the day years ago when we tried driving the old company G-Wagen on the beach. It was so heavy it just sank to its axles if you weren't careful. Or maybe it was the weight of all the tractor juice it needed to actually move? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2019, 23:11:07 »

Ouch...

As the Australians say, you want to go into the outback, you take a land rover. Want to come back again, you take a land cruiser.

What was the fifth?

Ford Edge.

I guess it snuck in under the "Large" part of the criteria.
That's a relief, not even on the radar :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2019, 23:21:23 »

No Mercs in the shame list, e-class was the most reliable luxury saloon in 2018.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 September 2019, 07:35:11 »

Given that LR products took 4 of the top 5 least reliable large/luxury SUV slots in last year's What Car survey, perhaps a slightly different design focus might be more appropriate....

It already is, fault lights are not being lit for minor issues the same as the other big manufacturers have done for some time.  :y

Reliability is mainly a customer perception rather than real faults (but then as manufacturers use pretty much all common parts then that is no surprise) which is no surprise.

JLRs biggest issue has been the infotainment system software, as of about last August this took a big leap forward and is being campaigned so big steps will be seen upwards (in fact big improvements are already being seen).

The worst reliability car at the moment is the new X5......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 September 2019, 19:24:27 »

It already is, fault lights are not being lit for minor issues the same as the other big manufacturers have done for some time.  :y

Reliability is mainly a customer perception rather than real faults (but then as manufacturers use pretty much all common parts then that is no surprise) which is no surprise.

JLRs biggest issue has been the infotainment system software, as of about last August this took a big leap forward and is being campaigned so big steps will be seen upwards (in fact big improvements are already being seen).

It'll take years to lose that stigma though. I suspect a lot of that "perception" is from the BMW/Ford era...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 September 2019, 19:25:34 »

No Mercs in the shame list, e-class was the most reliable luxury saloon in 2018.
Excellent.  I'll see if I can get a link for bro ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 September 2019, 19:31:34 »

It'll take years to lose that stigma though. I suspect a lot of that "perception" is from the BMW/Ford era...
Possibly.

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 02 September 2019, 19:43:30 »

Did I mention that the alternator just packed up on my L320 RRS.. ;D :-X :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 September 2019, 21:15:09 »

I'd agree there is probably quite a lot in the perception point. But then again why wouldn't there be?

If I dropped £15k on Dacia duster, £35k on a Kia sorento or £75-100k on a FF RR, my expectations of those three cars would be vastly different in every respect, and I would (quite rightly in my view) be ready to lose my sh!t if my FF RR emitted so much as a squeek or rattle.

And therin lies my problem with JLR products, even the bang up to date ones (I'm thinking of the i-pace specifically) have pieces of cr@p design and flaws which are just unnaceptable at their price point.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2019, 22:24:02 »

Excellent.  I'll see if I can get a link for bro ;D

Do they still rust away before they break down, then? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 September 2019, 07:36:19 »

I'd agree there is probably quite a lot in the perception point. But then again why wouldn't there be?

If I dropped £15k on Dacia duster, £35k on a Kia sorento or £75-100k on a FF RR, my expectations of those three cars would be vastly different in every respect, and I would (quite rightly in my view) be ready to lose my sh!t if my FF RR emitted so much as a squeek or rattle.

And therin lies my problem with JLR products, even the bang up to date ones (I'm thinking of the i-pace specifically) have pieces of cr@p design and flaws which are just unnaceptable at their price point.

I have been hacking about in a 405 a bit recently and despite the fact its an abused work lump, I had a bit of a eureka moment.

Basically, I never got why people bought one, but having stuck about 1k miles on a full fat, it suddenly occurs to you that the almost silent cabin, super smooth ride, massive power and supreme comfort delivers a 'happy' place to be and is totally effortless.

No issues, squeaks or anything at all with this one and its been badly treated and has plenty of war wounds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.