Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OIL PUMP, and 'Coolant Level Warning' Info Please  (Read 497 times)

Bishop

• 'Retired:' Tired Yesterday, 'n' Tired Again Today!
    • View Profile
OIL PUMP, and 'Coolant Level Warning' Info Please
« on: 22 October 2010, 22:09:46 »

1) Our high-Mileage  2.2CD displays its Oil Pressure Warning light over 3000rpm, especially in warmer weather. The Oil Pressure switch has been replaced, and 'Viscocity-improver' added, with little change.

I'm suspecting a weakened (old!) Oil Pressure Relief valve/spring, and planned to replace what appears to be an EXTERNAL oil pump, until my first quote offered was for over £140 plus carriage! My Jag one didn't cost that!! Does this price sound normal, or am I asking the wrong supplier??

2) Since purchase, the "Check Coolant Level' warning has been permanently displayed on the cockpit readout. Said Level has indeed been checked- and re-checked (!) and is perfect.

Assuming a faulty sensor ( quote: £40ish "...Including Header Tank" (Scam!) I wondered if it was worth trying to clean the old one first- and if so, how? Pressure-washer? Caustic??

Over to the experts!! :)

Thanks, Paul

aaronjb

Re: OIL PUMP, and 'Coolant Level Warning' Info Please
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2010, 22:15:55 »

Can't help on 1) but on 2) - the level sensor is a float in the bottom of the header tank which you may get away with cleaning, though received wisdom is that they usually get fragile and break and yes, you replace the header tank to replace the sensor.

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2010, 22:16:13 »

with regards to the sensor for the water bottle, pull bottle up and disconnect sensor connector, and bridge with a paperclip or similar, unless you want to pay £30 for a new bottle?

:y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2010, 22:51:19 »

Regarding oil pressure, drop the sump and clean the gunge from the oil strainer to start with.

Abiton

« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2010, 13:06:29 »

Oil pressure problem should be your priority here.

If it's the same on the 2.2 as the 2.0, which I strongly suspect; the relief valve assy is easily accessible sticking out towards the UK passenger side just behind the crank pulley, largish hex-head.
You'll ideally get a new seal (soft metal IIRC) that goes under the 'bolt' head before disturbing this assy though. I don't know if this will be relevant to your problem, but a replacement spring ought to be cheap if you want to test your theory.

The oil pump itself is mounted on the same casting as the oil filter etc.  To replace it, the crank pulley and sprocket have to come off, I believe.  The latter isn't a trivial job.  I would say that clogged pickup strainer, as Kneepad suggests, is a good bit more likely than a problem with the pump itself. 

What oil grade are you using?  Is it 'fresh'?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.