Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost overrun  (Read 12491 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Cost overrun
« Reply #60 on: 25 July 2019, 23:20:12 »

Why don't we do that here then ? If they have trouble picking out who should be on the roof I will nominate them and wont even charge for my services.  :)

Lack of seats solved at a stroke too. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25 July 2019, 23:40:29 »

Yep, negating the need for HS2 and saving 20 30 50 80 billion at a stroke.  :y ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25 July 2019, 23:54:07 »

Yes and the longer we leave it the more we will save :D
Laying a rubber road.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 July 2019, 10:33:48 »

I see the old Victorian transport system has completely collapsed.  Yet the 20th century transport system has not suffered any issues today.

Kinda makes you wonder how they have trains that work in places like India and Mexico where it gets proper hot. :-\
They are held firmly onto the rails by the hundred odd people on the roof.

Yes, and that reflects how in those countries Health & Safety does not exist, and if there is an accident so be it!

The railways in this country, AND in Northern Europe, have been affected by this record breaking period of extreme heat which is not generally allowed for in the usual calculations of laying the tracks. Trains in the UK AND in Europe have been running at reduced speeds and frequency as a safety measure so as to not put their passengers at risk from buckled track.  The overhead wires have also been affected, particularly at Kings Cross where a cable short circuited and caused a track side fire.

As the World is heating up it is clear that the design of track will have to allow greater tolerances for track heat expansion.  When the outside temperature is say 36 degrees C, the track temperature can be 20 degrees C higher.  In hotter climates they build track not on sleepers but on concrete slabs, but that costs 4 times as much as the UK method.  But that will now have to be considered. ;)

AS for 'modern' air travel verses "Victorian" transport, well over 100 flights have been canceled in and out of Heathrow due to the heat here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.  So extreme heat affects everything no matter what "age" the method of transport is from! ::) ::) ;)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2019, 10:42:40 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #64 on: 26 July 2019, 11:45:34 »

Whatever happened to fishplates?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26 July 2019, 13:37:37 »

Whatever happened to fishplates?

They are still used, but on sections of welded track up to 20 metres long, whereas in the old days the track was in 20 foot lengths, so many more fish plates were used.  In my opinion that has also aggravated the buckling of track problem due to less expansion joints being included in modern track, where those 20 metre track lengths can expand by up to half a metre in the very hot conditions when the track temperature can be 20 degrees C higher than the air temperature. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 26 July 2019, 18:31:03 »

The railways in this country, AND in Northern Europe, have been affected by this record breaking period of extreme heat which is not generally allowed for in the usual calculations of laying the tracks. Trains in the UK AND in Europe have been running at reduced speeds and frequency as a safety measure so as to not put their passengers at risk from buckled track.  The overhead wires have also been affected, particularly at Kings Cross where a cable short circuited and caused a track side fire.
Its utter, sheer incompetence. There are lost of places in the world with less moderate climates than ours, and cope well.

Like the NHS, this ex civil service institution cannot be fixed, and is gobbling money for no gain. Our money.

AS for 'modern' air travel verses "Victorian" transport, well over 100 flights have been canceled in and out of Heathrow due to the heat here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.  So extreme heat affects everything no matter what "age" the method of transport is from! ::) ::) ;)
Were any of the major roads closed due to it? Nope.  A bit of weather, of any kind, and the Victorian shit falls apart.

The planes were cancelled due to storms, not heat.  But are working today. Unlike the 3 month repairs when a storm gets near a railway.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 26 July 2019, 19:38:04 »

Its utter, sheer incompetence. There are lost of places in the world with less moderate climates than ours, and cope well.

Like the NHS, this ex civil service institution cannot be fixed, and is gobbling money for no gain. Our money.

Were any of the major roads closed due to it? Nope.  A bit of weather, of any kind, and the Victorian shit falls apart.

The planes were cancelled due to storms, not heat.  But are working today. Unlike the 3 month repairs when a storm gets near a railway.

As I stated, our railways are built for our traditional climate, not extreme heat and it would cost four times - billions- as much to make them able to cope with the record temperatures seen. But, at least they still ran in part, unlike dozens of flights due to a air traffic control centre failure, storms, all brought about by the heat. So hi tech became low tech and unlike the "Victorian" technology, with trains still running in the main, but more slowly and of lesser desity, but aircraft not taking off or landing. Indeed in the USA temperatures in Arizona went to 49 degrees C, and flights were cancelled due to heat - so we are not alone. As for working today, well no, the media is still reporting cancellations and general disruption.

As for the roads, yes, they were very hot and not pleasant to travel on, but they, dating from Roman times, were still operating. But I wonder how many "modern" vehicles broke down due to the extreme heat?!

In all, no matter what mankind does, we will always be at the mercy of our weather extremes, but unless you want to pay a lot more in taxes, they will not be made weatherproof in the near future, but no doubt with climate change, that still people deny is happening, it will have to happen ;)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2019, 19:45:03 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 26 July 2019, 19:47:20 »

Well some of the planes are working today...  ::) NATS fell over earlier...

Still, more O/T for me 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 26 July 2019, 20:06:10 »

Well some of the planes are working today...  ::) NATS fell over earlier...

Still, more O/T for me 8)

There will always be winners DG, like ice cream and soft drink sellers 8) 8) :D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 27 July 2019, 09:47:13 »

As I stated, our railways are built for our traditional climate, not extreme heat and it would cost four times - billions- as much to make them able to cope with the record temperatures seen. But, at least they still ran in part, unlike dozens of flights due to a air traffic control centre failure, storms, all brought about by the heat.
So the Phase 1 of HS2 actually needs to cost £400bn then? What with the BBC's global warming, or it won't be able to run when the sun comes out.  That works out to £6000 for every man, woman and child in the entire UK, even though less than 0.01% of those will ever use it once a year.  It absolutely makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, the vast majority of planes were flying. Without significant delays.  Unlike the trains, where the vast majority were planned to be cancelled and delayed, and then the unplanned cancellations due to the Kings Cross/St-P SNAFU.

I should point out, as DG will confirm, as I'm sure I've berated airports to him privately, I absolutely detest the whole airport/flying thing.  So its not my love of planes that fuels my comments about how useless the trains are.
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 27 July 2019, 17:52:15 »

It’s a scandalous waste of cash. Spend it to fix the fkd up system that’s already in place (what a hope)
Laying a rubber road.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 27 July 2019, 19:04:43 »

As I stated, our railways are built for our traditional climate, not extreme heat and it would cost four times - billions- as much to make them able to cope with the record temperatures seen. But, at least they still ran in part, unlike dozens of flights due to a air traffic control centre failure, storms, all brought about by the heat. So hi tech became low tech and unlike the "Victorian" technology, with trains still running in the main, but more slowly and of lesser desity, but aircraft not taking off or landingIndeed in the USA temperatures in Arizona went to 49 degrees C, and flights were cancelled due to heat - so we are not alone.As for working today, well no, the media is still reporting cancellations and general disruption.

As for the roads, yes, they were very hot and not pleasant to travel on, but they, dating from Roman times, were still operating. But I wonder how many "modern" vehicles broke down due to the extreme heat?!

In all, no matter what mankind does, we will always be at the mercy of our weather extremes, but unless you want to pay a lot more in taxes, they will not be made weatherproof in the near future, but no doubt with climate change, that still people deny is happening, it will have to happen ;)

Ahh good old Phoenix, I nearly got stuck there once due to this very issue. Whichever complete plum they got to design that cr@ppy airport didn't make the runway long enough for planes to take off in the heat.

Nothing wrong with the aircraft (I think most modern jets will take off up to about 52 degrees), just some sh!try penny pinching infrastructure.  ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 27 July 2019, 20:30:41 »

As I stated, our railways are built for our traditional climate, not extreme heat and it would cost four times - billions- as much to make them able to cope with the record temperatures seen. But, at least they still ran in part, unlike dozens of flights due to a air traffic control centre failure, storms, all brought about by the heat. So hi tech became low tech and unlike the "Victorian" technology, with trains still running in the main, but more slowly and of lesser desity, but aircraft not taking off or landing. Indeed in the USA temperatures in Arizona went to 49 degrees C, and flights were cancelled due to heat - so we are not alone. As for working today, well no, the media is still reporting cancellations and general disruption.

Lizzie. How come Spanish railways work in a range of temps? I have seen minus 14 deg C and plus 44 degC  in my time here.  Not all the lines are new or real high speed but the still work.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 27 July 2019, 22:31:05 »

I see the old Victorian transport system has completely collapsed.  Yet the 20th century transport system has not suffered any issues today.

Kinda makes you wonder how they have trains that work in places like India and Mexico where it gets proper hot. :-\
They are held firmly onto the rails by the hundred odd people on the roof.

Yes, and that reflects how in those countries Health & Safety does not exist, and if there is an accident so be it!

As the World is heating up it is clear that the design of track will have to allow greater tolerances for track heat expansion.  When the outside temperature is say 36 degrees C, the track temperature can be 20 degrees C higher.  In hotter climates they build track not on sleepers but on concrete slabs, but that costs 4 times as much as the UK method.  But that will now have to be considered. ;)

The world has been cooling down for the last 3 years, so there has been no overall global temperature increase since 1998. Those at the back therefore need to keep up & not rely on the BBC fake news propaganda. In the 20th century there were two warming periods in the 1920-30's and the 1980-90's. Many of the hottest temperature were set in the 1920-30's, which is one of several reasons why all Met records are post-1980 or just over one climate cycle long, so they can keep claiming 'ever-hotter' new records. >:( This website displays a graph of 21st century global temperatures in their header if you want a quick reference, so it is useful to bookmark.

https://www.thegwpf.com/urban-heat-island-effect-caused-50-of-warming-in-china/

Expect the trend to be for continued cooling as current solar cycle 24 ends & a weak solar cycle 25 starts. The shortest duration solar cycles are 11 years long. In 2008, which was the end of solar cycle 23 we had a very cold spell with snow in October & a cold winter, so it is going to interesting to see if 2019-20 winter is colder than average.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.