Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost overrun  (Read 12483 times)

aaronjb

Re: Cost overrun
« Reply #90 on: 30 July 2019, 11:14:39 »

Can't see it happening. By 'pay third world people' you mean pay third world governments, and we all know how that ends up.

I googled "Corrupt third-world dictator" to post a picture as an example, but there were too many to choose from, so I gave up.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 30 July 2019, 19:00:50 »

Difficulty stating. Pure and simple. Too difficult so lets not bother.

It applies right down to individuals. Shall I walk or save time and use the car.?

Encouraging to see that the previous record for planting trees in a day was 50 million by India around three years ago. Ethiopia of all countries just planted 350 million indigenous trees out of a 3 or 4 billion ( cannot remember which) target in a day.  With help from the first world imagine what could be done around rhe world.

Footnote. You could have knocked me over with a feather when a TV programme said that nearly a half of the worlds oxygen is produced by plankton. Maybe the Japs are right to exterminate whales eating all our oxygen creating plankton!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 31 July 2019, 19:06:42 »

It applies right down to individuals. Shall I walk or save time and use the car.?
The vast majority of commuters cannot walk to the station.  That's why they moved out of the shitholes we call UK cities. They wanted country living. Which means driving to the nearest town to catch a train.  My nearest viable station is 14 miles away by car (there is one about 8 or 9 miles away, one that Beaching let get away)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 31 July 2019, 21:50:03 »

The vast majority of commuters cannot walk to the station.  That's why they moved out of the shitholes we call UK cities. They wanted country living. Which means driving to the nearest town to catch a train.  My nearest viable station is 14 miles away by car (there is one about 8 or 9 miles away, one that Beaching let get away)

Exactly - we're putting up rabbit hutches in the middle of nowhere as fast as we can, with no requirement to connect them to any form of transport infrastructure, then worrying why our roads are gridlocked and we keep getting a slap on the leg from the EU for our carbon emissions. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 31 July 2019, 22:11:52 »

Point taken about where houses are in relation to work.

However how many people drive around looking for a parking spot near where they are going rather than get out at the first not so close parking spot and walking a bit?. Or drive somewhere to avoid a bit of walking.

Time , rightly or wrongly is viewed as everything. Every minute saved is another available for Love Island or playing fortnite etc.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 31 July 2019, 22:49:37 »

Plus many houses are being built in places where there’s no infrastructure to support them I.E either facing droughts or floods!
Laying a rubber road.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 01 August 2019, 07:10:55 »

Yep,  they had to demolish a new development near here a few years back because building it on a flood plain turned out to be an issue. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 01 August 2019, 09:10:08 »

Yep,  they had to demolish a new development near here a few years back because building it on a flood plain turned out to be an issue. ::)

Yes, you have to be careful where you build in Watercress land! :D ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #98 on: 01 August 2019, 09:13:03 »

However how many people drive around looking for a parking spot near where they are going rather than get out at the first not so close parking spot and walking a bit?

If you want to park within a mile or two of the local station, here, then you either:

1) Pay £9 per day to park in the station car park (which is full after about 8am)
2) Pay £50/month to park on the street, as that area of town is permit holders only and they sell permits as "season ticket parking"

The reason the station car park is full, apparently, is because there are no traffic wardens there (there are on the streets, though!), so everyone just parks there and doesn't bother paying...

I live in the town, 3 miles from the station, and my options are:

1) 10 minutes drive in my own car
2) 45 minutes by foot & bus
3) 50 minute walk

Guess which one I'd pick? ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 01 August 2019, 09:19:13 »

That is just lack of “ policing” and a none joined up transport policy.

Quite some years ago we were friends with some quite left wing councillors in Leicester. They had responsibility for matters transport . Neither were car drivers or had any intention of ever being. We lost touch but often wonder what they are doing now.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 01 August 2019, 15:47:42 »

That is just lack of “ policing” and a none joined up transport policy.

Quite some years ago we were friends with some quite left wing councillors in Leicester. They had responsibility for matters transport . Neither were car drivers or had any intention of ever being. We lost touch but often wonder what they are doing now.
Presumably waiting to cross the road...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.