Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Angle Grinders  (Read 14544 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Angle Grinders
« Reply #45 on: 29 October 2014, 16:02:52 »

Thanks guys, will defo look at some vids when im home.

the AG itself looks like you should be cutting at a horizontal angle of the disc. so when turning it round (or vertical) you obviously want the disc rotating away from you right?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 29 October 2014, 17:50:26 »

Will be extremely careful mate!!!! thanks for the advice.

We were cutting out a rotten section of a land rover chassis years ago and the guard kept getting in the way so my mate removed it. The disc grabbed, shattered and took a chunk out of his wrist. He needed micro surgery to fix the tendons/nerves or whatever it was. Luckily it wasn't his face.

When I was an apprentice toolmaker, we had to endure endless safety videos, but the one I remember most is the grinding wheel safety video. We were shown the importance of safety specs when a wheel lets go and the guy doing the safety course asked if there were any questions, to which my mate asked "what happens if the shrapnel misses your glasses". Clearly this amused us but the seriousness of it is, it would destroy your face.  :o
Having seen a bench grinder let go years ago, and the bits stick in a wall, I've become paranoid about the ring test and wearing full face protection when using my 9"er.  ;) ;D ;D

We all become far too complacent with power tools, just be aware that they don't take prisoners.
Link below is not too graphic but gets the point across. Some are horrific.  :o

http://youtu.be/eJOiKuVeXA0

Just watched this. Pretty scared now  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 October 2014, 12:43:19 »

Right chaps can I just clarify some points please....

I bought this to cut metal. Firstly should I always use horizontal cuts so that if something does let go the safety guard will protect me? And when you talk about grinding.... is thiswhat I would call ''sanding''? as I mainly want it to cut
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #48 on: 30 October 2014, 12:48:37 »

Right chaps can I just clarify some points please....

I bought this to cut metal. Firstly should I always use horizontal cuts so that if something does let go the safety guard will protect me? And when you talk about grinding.... is thiswhat I would call ''sanding''? as I mainly want it to cut
Think of it as a 6 inch circular saw that has the abilty to rough sand :y

omega3000

« Reply #49 on: 30 October 2014, 13:01:53 »

Just watched this. Pretty scared now  :'(

Had totally forgot about discs shattering  :-X

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 30 October 2014, 13:08:10 »

My Makita has been brilliant, had a LOT of rough punishment.

My choice of 1mm cutting discs are these, lesser brands don't last two minutes and are much more prone to shattering:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115mm-4-5-ULTRA-THIN-METAL-CUTTING-DISC-4-1-2-STEEL-STAINLESS-Bluespot-1mm-/290688825257?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item43ae6777a9

For grinding welds....don't....use a 40 or 60 grit flap disc, much better job and work out a similar price as they last a lot longer.

As for guard position, you ideally want the sparks running away from you  but, you will find yourself occasionally in the position where you have to bend the rules a bit.

I use a pair of welding gauntlets when grinding as they protect your arms from sparks and being leather add some protection to.

Don't forget you need full goggles as safety specs wont cut it.

omega3000

« Reply #51 on: 30 October 2014, 13:20:55 »

My Makita has been brilliant, had a LOT of rough punishment.

My choice of 1mm cutting discs are these, lesser brands don't last two minutes and are much more prone to shattering:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115mm-4-5-ULTRA-THIN-METAL-CUTTING-DISC-4-1-2-STEEL-STAINLESS-Bluespot-1mm-/290688825257?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item43ae6777a9

For grinding welds....don't....use a 40 or 60 grit flap disc, much better job and work out a similar price as they last a lot longer.

As for guard position, you ideally want the sparks running away from you  but, you will find yourself occasionally in the position where you have to bend the rules a bit.

I use a pair of welding gauntlets when grinding as they protect your arms from sparks and being leather add some protection to.

Don't forget you need full goggles as safety specs wont cut it.

Yeah , it dont burn much mr bear  :D .. you will get use to it once you start to practice .. Try cutting open an old silencer  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 30 October 2014, 13:50:51 »

Thanks guys,

And sorry for all the posts (usual from me I know  ::)) but having only used one once or twice I really am not going to go about this until I feel 110% confident. Some may think I'm a pussy... perhaps... but I'd rather be safe than sorry  :y

So. The grinder has just arrived and I have 7 GRINDING discs only. I can now see why theyre grinding discs as the flat sides have notches all over. So these are for presumably flattening out bumps and stuff and shouldn't be used to cut, correct? For that I need the thin cutting discs that mark and others have posted links to.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30 October 2014, 14:44:01 »

....aaaaaand.....

When I tightenmy outer flange nut  ::) it says hand tighten? Shouldn't I tighten it FT with the special spanner?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 30 October 2014, 15:00:04 »

Unplug grinder. Put larger washer on with two luugs facing up,place new disc of choice on,locate disc,put top nut on,do up finger tight,then use special spanner to do nut up TIGHT..
Hoof'land storeman.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30 October 2014, 15:11:14 »

Unplug grinder. Put larger washer on with two luugs facing up,place new disc of choice on,locate disc,put top nut on,do up finger tight,then use special spanner to do nut up TIGHT..

Exactly what I thought. Thanks BG  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 October 2014, 15:15:18 »

If you tighten the nut to FT, you won't be able to undo it with the pin spanner. you might break the pins or round off the holes. Window fitters are good at this!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30 October 2014, 15:19:33 »

Thanks Nick. A good tight twist seems to set it nicely.

Ordered those cutting discs you recommend mark so thank you for that.

Is this guy ok for face / eye protection with safety glasses underneath...

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/4570448/Bolle-Face-Shield-Complete---EN---Simple-to-Adjust-and-Flip-up---BO-BLPI.html?gclid=CjwKEAjww8eiBRCE7qvK9Z7W_DgSJABfOjf2gsPKAcNo4YUk4726Cmi4JJUm3PmQH5wH8qhrsiRP1BoC2jXw_wcB#.VFJVZY1ybIU

And finally.....

The thing I'm going to practise on is the wife's pug 206 door that's fekked and that ivealready replaced (obviously with glass, wiring, motors etc removed.

As I obviousy cant clamp it im thinking big heavy objects like this don't need to be secured and I can do it with it on the floor???

finally..... grinding discs. can I also cut with these? I know not to grind with cutting wheels though  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30 October 2014, 15:34:40 »

On the nut question, I would nip the nut up as with a new disc you need the nut to grip so the disc does not spin. Finger tight and they can spin!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.