Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega alternatives  (Read 3871 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
Omega alternatives
« on: 28 October 2014, 20:32:37 »

I keep on getting told I'm obsessed with Omegas but I guess quite a few of us are on this forum. So what are the alternatives for Omega money i.e £2k  This can buy a late 3.2 with lowish miles with most common issues addressed. What else can I buy that is:

1. RWD
2. Fast (ish)
3. Spacious
4. Well equipped
5. Reasonable to maintain (fuel aside) which is largely due to OOF

Mercs and BMW of this era have intergalactic miles and can't be as cheap to maintain. Audi A4/A6, are the non Quattro models FWD? What about Jaguar S/X type or a Lexus?

Opinions?

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: Omega alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2014, 20:35:47 »

Lexus are relatively cheap  :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2014, 20:37:20 »

Which model?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2014, 20:53:24 »

similiar era bmw and mercedes models will have usual faults of old cars... and audi is no exception..

however, it depends on the personal choice and budget to pay that extra expense to enjoy them..
« Last Edit: 28 October 2014, 20:55:19 by cem »

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2014, 21:19:15 »

There aren't any. Hence the obsession.

....not for the money anyway.

There's been numerous threads in the subject. The only contenders are considerably more money.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2014, 21:33:45 »

As always, it depends. If you want a saloon then there are loads of options, but the big Lexus has it licked in just about every respect: they're dirt cheap, they don't go wrong, they're like an Omega just a bit bigger/faster/more comfortable/etc.

Personally I think a car of this size needs to be an estate and that makes things much more difficult. BMW estates aren't load carriers, Mercedes are just too uncomfortable for me, and I don't like Audis. They all suffer from 'premium' aspirations that are more marketing than real. That leaves Volvos, which I know aren't RWD, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. They have the same attributes as the Omega; big, comfortable, quiet, discreet, practical and cheap.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2014, 21:40:32 »

There aren't any. Hence the obsession.

....not for the money anyway.

There's been numerous threads in the subject. The only contenders are considerably more money.

+1. Sorry SMD but there just isn't.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2014, 21:43:45 »

I always wanted a BMW E39 in 535i or 540i Sport.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171515163175

They are affordable now but the part prices scare me shitless. In almost 12 years driving, I have never found a garage that even half trust which is what makes Omega ownership really appealing
« Last Edit: 28 October 2014, 21:45:44 by SMD »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2014, 21:50:50 »

I always wanted a BMW E39 in 535i or 540i Sport. They are affordable now but the part prices scare me shitless.

Why? Service parts(oil, filters, plugs, gaskets, shocks, bushes etc) are generic and readily available. In many cases they're cheaper than Omega parts, probably because the market is so much bigger. Bigger failures like engines or gearboxes are costly, but the cars are at the throwaway stage so why worry too much. They aren't necessarily easy to work on, but that's German engineering which the Omega suffers from.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2014, 22:14:51 »

Which model?

Most of the larger models not so much the is200 but even those are coming down  :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2014, 00:06:22 »

H has the is300. Not as big as the omega inside, narrower, but equal head room, regardless of what that Dtm fellow says.

Apart from a seized hid light levelling sensor it's been faultless. There's is a good forum, and a few breakers for parts.

All Jap cars of that era have very chunky unimaginative interiors though. Is300 isn't too bad, but the toy level is not as good as omega in this model anyway, even with the pop up nav screen in the dash. No memory seats, no one touch windows, no remote fob auto close. Does have Dual zone climate, heated seats, colour pop up nav screen, sun roof.

It's quicker than the 3.2 in the omega though, even though the power output is almost the same. Partly due to the 5 speed auto over the omegas 4, and being slightly lighter iirc despite being the estate model. Ignore the tip tronic it's too unrefined t be usefull.

The straight 6 gives a lovely howl, within the confines of an oe exhaust. Not intrusive, but let's you knows it's busy.

Load bay. Nowhere near as big as omega. Probably best described as a large hatch back than an estate.

But more usefull than an omega saloon as far as load carrying goes by some distance.

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2014, 00:09:32 »

Oh, and it's firmer sprung than omega. With double wishbone front suspension. So it's much more accurate to drive than omega. Much more. ;)

Rog

« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2014, 05:13:35 »

As always, it depends. If you want a saloon then there are loads of options, but the big Lexus has it licked in just about every respect: they're dirt cheap, they don't go wrong, they're like an Omega just a bit bigger/faster/more comfortable/etc.

Personally I think a car of this size needs to be an estate and that makes things much more difficult. BMW estates aren't load carriers, Mercedes are just too uncomfortable for me, and I don't like Audis. They all suffer from 'premium' aspirations that are more marketing than real. That leaves Volvos, which I know aren't RWD, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. They have the same attributes as the Omega; big, comfortable, quiet, discreet, practical and cheap.

+1 Same above

I just really need the load carrying capability of an estate. I've pretty much decided that if my Omega dies, then it will probably be a Volvo XC70, not exactly cheap, but probably fits the bill.

ckz

• Intermediate Member
  • burton on trent
    • Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2014, 06:00:11 »

Well I had loads of cars around the omega Aera ,
The Pajero is gone,clas a nice car but not as fast.
Loads positive aspects in weather conditions and parking wherever I wanted. Lol
I still got my v70 volvo, well is our second car.
Auto, estate, and apart from leather all the same specs.
It's a bit less loading space as the omega but otherwise exactly the same just fwd. And 5 cyl.
So a bit more economical.

And they going cheap.

Wanted originally a t5 but settled for a 2.4 instead because of overall condition. Petrol.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2014, 09:45:38 »

Nick - pattern service parts may be reasonable and might even be good quality but I meant genuine BMW items such as shocks, springs and brakes etc. Also at times some items may be a dealer only part.

Chris, I've always liked the Lexus IS but they are as common as Star Silver Omegas, at least with the Omegas there is a bit of exclusivity these days   ;D  however that doesn't put me off. I always thought for some reason the IS300 was the estate version of the saloon  ::). They do seem a bit on the small side though, not sure my 3 kids would be comfortable in the back especially as there would be a baby seat and a booster. Might go test drive one. But they're not quite Omega money yet.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2014, 10:35:17 »

H has the is300. Not as big as the omega inside, narrower, but equal head room, regardless of what that Dtm fellow says.

Apart from a seized hid light levelling sensor it's been faultless. There's is a good forum, and a few breakers for parts.

All Jap cars of that era have very chunky unimaginative interiors though. Is300 isn't too bad, but the toy level is not as good as omega in this model anyway, even with the pop up nav screen in the dash. No memory seats, no one touch windows, no remote fob auto close. Does have Dual zone climate, heated seats, colour pop up nav screen, sun roof.

It's quicker than the 3.2 in the omega though, even though the power output is almost the same. Partly due to the 5 speed auto over the omegas 4, and being slightly lighter iirc despite being the estate model. Ignore the tip tronic it's too unrefined t be usefull.

The straight 6 gives a lovely howl, within the confines of an oe exhaust. Not intrusive, but let's you knows it's busy.

Load bay. Nowhere near as big as omega. Probably best described as a large hatch back than an estate.

But more usefull than an omega saloon as far as load carrying goes by some distance.

enough room for golf clubs ;D :D
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2014, 11:06:11 »

Why buy anything different when you can by an immaculate 54000 mile  3.2 Omega Elite far £1000. ::) ::) :-X ;)

Just Kidding. :D

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2014, 11:23:25 »

Where, where ?  :o

Oh wait, you're trying to be being funny  :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2014, 11:42:59 »

Where, where ?  :o

Oh wait, you're trying to be being funny  :-X

I believe  Mistress Zoom has an immaculate 54000 mile Elite.

I'm guessing  she would demand significantly more than £1000 to part with it.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2014, 11:56:05 »

Not if I turn up with Luca Brasi  ;D

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2014, 14:38:33 »

Give Mr R B a ring , sure he can find an immaculate example hiding some where  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2014, 14:58:42 »

Give Mr R B a ring , sure he can find an immaculate example hiding some where  :)
Yep......and don't forget to have £4000 with you. ::) :)
« Last Edit: 29 October 2014, 15:04:42 by Doctor Opti »

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2014, 16:18:51 »

enough room for golf clubs ;D :D

In the is300 golf clubs won't fit in the back with the seats up. They do in the omega though :P ;D

...including the saloon, although NOT with an lpg tank behind the back seats obviously ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2014, 16:33:53 »

It's still sat on my drive at the moment.  ;)  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

omega3000

« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2014, 17:41:54 »

It's still sat on my drive at the moment;)  :)

Yeah thats a mint example for sure mate  :)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2014, 17:53:20 »

Too many estates around  :'(  :-[

omega3000

« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2014, 18:08:25 »

Too many estates around  :'(  :-[

Yeah .. damn common  :D ;D

Cant see any 3.2's  :(    A maybe Link   :-\

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2014, 18:16:33 »

That does look in good nick but its too expensive IMO for a 2.5 and age

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2014, 18:20:58 »

That does look in good nick but its too expensive IMO for a 2.5 and age

Best V6  ::) ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.