Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Poll

What tread depth do you change your tyres at? Be honest!

4mm
3mm
2mm
legal limit
as soon as I sense a loss of handling

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking about tyres...  (Read 3752 times)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Talking about tyres...
« on: 29 October 2014, 21:00:59 »

I remembered something that I wanted to post about but completely forgot. The last set of tyres I had on the 3.2 were Hankook's Optimo 4S. An all seasons tyre, that to be fair was very grippy, worked especially well in the wet and lasted about 18k. Usually I change tyres at or just below 3mm. But work and other issues prevented me from changing them when they got down to 3mm.

One wet Friday,few weeks ago I was travelling up the A1M and decided to take the A57 across to the M1 as the sat nav identified an accident up ahead. Going past one of the roundabouts, I remember being in the fast lane, approaching the roundabout, perhaps a tiny bit faster than I normally do/should do. As I hit the roundabout, I lost all rear end grip. The next thing I know the back was sliding out and I was applying counter lock to try and gain control of the car. It felt like an eternity before I got the car back in line and managed to drive on in one piece. Thankfully no one was next to me in the outer lane or else I would have hit them.

Got home and checked the tyres the next day. 2.6mm depth pretty much across the tyre. Reasonably even wear. No bulges/bald patches. So what caused the loss of control? Could it have been a patch of oil? Or is the advice to change tyres at 3mm the correct advice?

More so, if 3mm is the depth to change at, then these so called part worns are pretty useless?

Suspension has been poly'd and set up at WIM about 12 months ago.

So what tyre depth do you change your tyres at? I am certainly going to stick with 3mm.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

05omegav6

Re: Talking about tyres...
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2014, 21:06:50 »

Was that the Michelins :o good job we swapped wheels then, as the Autonogrips would have seen you headfirst into the roundabout...

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2014, 21:19:07 »

No, this was a while ago. They were Hankooks. Optimo 4s. Pretty decent all weather tyres. I think it was the tyre depth and probably standing water at the roundabout.

The Michelins are fine.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2014, 21:20:26 »

Pc an we devide the forum into;

Drives like Tunnie

Doesn't drive like Tunnie.

18k. Grippy. All season tyre. Only Tunnieists could make such statements. ;D

Anyway, sorry. I shall read further to find the question. :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2014, 21:28:17 »

I change tyres when the hadling goes off. Regardless of tread.
 So that doesn't really help.

I'd suggest that either something was down, or those tyres are not as good as you suspect. I'm not going to suggest anything silly, but Agavating the car in corners to find the limit of grip is a good thing. That way you know your grip level, and if it lets go before that pint you know something is wrong. Either slippery substance, or a flat etc.

Presume pressures are where correct on all four?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2014, 21:32:28 »

The way it seems that some members drive, their tyres should be changed at 6mm and then the old ones sent to me for recycling!  :y

Premium brands only and I have no issues with winters.  :y  Whatever the season.  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2014, 21:35:38 »

The way it seems that some members drive, their tyres should be changed at 6mm and then the old ones sent to me for recycling!  :y

Premium brands only and I have no issues with winters.  :y  Whatever the season.  ;D
fit decent parts, and the omega is very capable. It's even possible to see where the road is when it rains. Believe it or not. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2014, 21:39:25 »

fit decent parts, and the omega is very capable. It's even possible to see where the road is when it rains. Believe it or not. ;)

I have 20/20 vision.  :y

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2014, 21:43:50 »

Probably worn tyres didn`t help :-\ but just thinking roundabouts is just the place spilled fuel gets dumped on a regular basis.

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2014, 21:48:24 »

I have 20/20 vision.  :y
is that with or without the prescription windscreen windscreen wipers.

(Old Billy Connoly joke ;D )

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2014, 22:23:24 »

Pressures were correct. I do test my tyres on corners, but this was completely unexpected. No warning at all. The mileage I think relates purely to 97% of those miles being bashed out on the M1/A1M/M40/M42 etc. Not much to tax tyres on most motorways. I suspect if I did those miles locally or along B roads, the mileage would be less.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2014, 22:40:36 »

Probably worn tyres didn`t help :-\ but just thinking roundabouts is just the place spilled fuel gets dumped on a regular basis.

Seems likely.  ;)

4x4

« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2014, 23:07:20 »

Was you driving with tc off,as the tc should have cut in aswell,or was you driving like tb on a bad day in which case expect the rear to get tail happy,thats because its the right wheel drive and not a fwd shitbox

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2014, 23:12:47 »

Tc Wont cut in with just side load. It will only cut power.

To catch side load you need ESP, which was EU only.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2014, 23:21:55 »

TC was switched on. But as above, it did not cut in at all.

Should I add a poll to see what tread depth others change their tyres at?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.