Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tailgate Release?  (Read 4723 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Tailgate Release?
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2007, 12:28:17 »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2007, 11:24:55 »

Trying to understand the setup here.

The tailgate contains a mecahnical external button release?
It is locked electrically with a solenoid operated from the central locking system?

So the problem is essentially mechanical?

You need to re-create the action of pressing the external button and lifting the gate?

So you need a device as suggested by MarksDTM to 'press the button'.  This will incorporate a remote switch to be mounted on the centre console by the handbrake, for instance.

You then need a lifter.  An electric aerial won't do it, I'm afraid!  Something to either push the tailgate a bit until the struts take over, or an extending lifter mounted instead of the struts.

To be honest, something like Omegatoy's low tech tennis ball idea may be best.  Maybe some kind of spring loaded arm to help the tailgate up would work.

Are there any disabled vehicle websites or forums to get ideas from, I wonder?
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Dan McIntyre

• Mirfield, West Yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2007, 22:22:20 »

THanks Hillper and everyone else and hey Kjon nice to know I'm not the only disabled guy out here  :y

I have been looking at the KC Mobility site, especially as they're local to me being in Batley, and they do a remote opening tailgate for estates, mpvs and hatches but it costs around £1300 and I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity I can do it cheaper.

I've watched a few episodes of "Pimp My Ride" on MTV and keep feeling that something involving one of the linear actuators they use would work.....

Obviously with my limited mobility I'm a bit limited in what I can do/try but I'll keep looking into it and thanks for all the suggestions!!
Dan McIntyre
Those who say it's impossible should not interrupt those who are doing it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2007, 22:27:26 »

I've watched a few episodes of "Pimp My Ride" on MTV and keep feeling that something involving one of the linear actuators they use would work.........
Starter solenoids always used to be used to open doors when the outside door handle had been removed.  :-/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.