Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bypass standard amp - my way  (Read 1611 times)

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
bypass standard amp - my way
« on: 21 January 2007, 14:44:55 »

Ok, may be of use to someone somewhere, "cutting out" pardon the pun  :-X the omega amp that was cutting out when i put a new h/unit in my elite.
it had the Philips amp which is behind the spare wheel recess twds the front of the car behind the metal.
Firstly i unplugged the amp, checked which pairs of wires were for which channel and found that:

There are four obvious pairs (ie twisted round each other) in the loom
white n brown/white            NSR Door
green n brown/green           OSR Door
yellow n brown/yellow         OSF Door
blue n brown/blue               NSF door speaker

There are also :
white n brown/white           NS parcel shelf
green n brown/green         OS parcel shelf

These arent intertwined.

So i cut the wires ( some people may prefer to tap into them for ease of re-fitting amp at a later date)

Next i got four lenghts of speaker wire (made sure they were long enough obviously! :-[)
took the plug that came with the radio - it only had a plug on one end but you could easily cut the speaker wires off an iso connector and leave the power ones on so it will still just plug into the cars loom.
then i soldered the four lenghts of wire to the 4 channel outputs on the wiring plug

** remember to mark which one is for which channel**
I used masking tape wrapped round the end of the speaker wire and wrote on it i.e rr,fr,rl,fl

Then i wrapped electricians tape round all the speaker wires to keep them tidy and stop them getting snagged etc.

Next was getting them from radio to back of car.

I dont know about other people but on my 95 elite there aint a lot of gaps in the dash to get wires through and after loads of attempts i finally took a length of wire ( any wire will do maybe a couple of foot long) fed that through a gap (keeping one end where i could see it though :P), then i removed the plastic panel under the glovebox and made sure the wire came out the bottom.
Next my master stroke! i taped the end of this wire to the end of the speaker wires that would go to the back of the car and pulled it through from the passenger footwell. - took bloody ages as you have to wiggle and twist but it worked eventually.
The rest is straight forward.
just remove the door sill trim thingy and the panel in footwell by wing.
feed wires up the car and pull the two tabs to release rear seat.
I dont know the official way to do this put i just tugged the top of rear seat panel  ( the one at the side between rear door and seat) and it popped off showing a nice hole to feed speaker wires through.
Then i soldered wires to the pairs i cut off theoriginal philips amp plug ( colours as above) and there we go the speakers are done.

My radio didnt come with an iso connector so i had half an old iso lying around and all i did was hacksaw it so that i only had the power block left ( personal preference as i didnt want a load of unused wires connected encase they managed to short or something.) plugged it in and off i go.

The only thing i did was wire the red and yellow from head unit to the same live(yellow i think) after i put radio in so it didnt keep resetting and i just pop the face when i park up.

a couple of pics:
i cut the power section off the iso

i cant really use tape too well but aint got no heatshrink

again apologies for the tape

how the finish thing should look ready to feed into the car (N.B blue wire ready for an amp remote)

The rear shelf speakers can be wired into the same door speaker pairs but i am gonna try and put them on 2 channels of the 4 channel amp i am using for my sub and see how they go, cause i am probably wrong but wiring 4 speakers to 2 channels of a radio dont seem right and i would think it would spoil the sound as it would be putting a strain on the radio ( as said i am probably wrong but thats my opinion anyhow!)

The only other thing i did was rob the two thickish brown wires off the original plug to use as an earth for my  amp and it seems to be okay (probably the wrong way to do it but hey it works for me)

Then i tucked all wires away put the trim etc back , left amp out and unplugged ( as Tina would say less weight in the car  8-)  so better acceleration)

Only other thing i would mention is when parking the car if not taking radio front with you detatch it as on all the ones i have had even if you press and hold power off the little power button stays lit so you can see it in the dark...... bit like standby on ya telly and i presume it will drain your battery eventually!

well hope someone can make use of this...... in fact hope someone can understand this as i aint very good at explaining things and not much better at doing them . but the voices in my head understand  :y

Mick
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
Re: bypass standard amp - my way
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2007, 11:39:15 »

Thanks for that info about the wiring on the amp mate. I need that for when I put a proper amp in the boot of my Elite, saves having to run new wires to the door speakers  :y

Just one question though - Couldn't you have just linked the inputs into the amp from the stereo straight to the speaker wiring? Would've saved running new speaker wire from your headunit.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2007, 11:40:28 by bestseany »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2007, 11:42:32 »

Thats what I would have done to.....

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2007, 12:19:08 »

Thanks for that info about the wiring on the amp mate. I need that for when I put a proper amp in the boot of my Elite, saves having to run new wires to the door speakers  :y

Just one question though - Couldn't you have just linked the inputs into the amp from the stereo straight to the speaker wiring? Would've saved running new speaker wire from your headunit.

tried but could only find one earth for all the channels for speakers? so i presume it splits inside the amp  and with my v.limited electrical ability and a littleexternal speaker and dodgy multi meter i just found it just as easy as i wanted run rca's up the car anyway ( and every amp wiring kit i get comes with speaker wire which i never use so had loads lying round)
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.