Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 Sport Auto, Gearbox query/issue  (Read 2303 times)

Dan552

• Aldershot
    • Omega 2.2 Sport Estate
    • View Profile
2.2 Sport Auto, Gearbox query/issue
« on: 28 January 2018, 21:01:51 »

Hi guys
as observed by my low post count i am new to the OOF.
I picked up a 51 plate 2.2 sport estate just before xmas and it was fine for the first 100 miles.
since then it likes to rev quite high (almost to the redline on occasion) before changing up into second), then later in the same journey for no reason it will stay in high gear until the car is turned off.
on connecting 3 different obd/elm327/"My Naff Code Reader" devices i get the following codes
P1870 - Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off - Not Present
P1700 - SVS request via CAN - Not Present
P0420 - Catalyst Effiency Above Threshold - Present

I have drained the transmission today, replaced the filter and both sump gaskets as the fluid was pretty awful in colour (didn't smell burnt though), and no debris attached to the sump magnet.  However drive experience is still the same.

Drive appears better when sport is engaged however it still drops out of sport and stays in high gear on occasion.

Has anybody else had this issue? if so am i looking at a replacement torque converter or software update on the box. Not sure what version I am on.
If software upgrade any recommendations in the Aldershot/Basingstoke area and how much am i looking at?

as for the P0420 code it had a new o2 sensor (after the cat) fitted for the MoT before i picked it up as it failed emmissions first time around, however this isnt a stored code as i deleted all codes when i first got the car and its come back. Suggestions please.

I know i've asked a lot but if I cant resolve these issues with out throwing large amounts of cash at it then the car will have to go, which is a shame. according to howmanyleft.com there are only 49 2.2 sports left on the road (and that's both saloon and estate combined)

Cheers in advance

Dan

Dan552

• Aldershot
    • Omega 2.2 Sport Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Sport Auto, Gearbox query/issue
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2018, 22:39:28 »

Ok now even more confused, just read a post that suggests the Cam Position Sensor could be causing the autobox to go into the limp mode. How and Why does this influence the TCM????

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2018, 23:16:27 »

First welcome to the group. I asked on here about my 2.2 with gearbox problems, and was getting a Camshaft error code aswell as gearbox. I was told to change cam and Crankshaft sensors, which I have now done. The gearbox had a fluid, filter and gearbox computer done before I purchased it. Since changing both the Cam and Crank sensor, I have had no problems with gearchanges (touch wood). I think from what I can gather the gearbox uses these for working out when to change up and down (someone will be along to correct me and explain to you). Just for information the Crankshaft sensor was not throwing any codes, just the Cam sensor. Upon advise from here I changed the Crankshaft sensor aswell and the car seems OK for now. I am not sure if it is the same on the facelift models, but my wifes '95 2.0 Omega seems to take ages from cold to change up, it says this is natural in her owners manual.
Good luck with sorting it.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2018, 18:29:25 »

Do you have the facility to clear all codes in the TCM (may as well do engine ECU at same time).

See what comes back - but that clutch one is suspicious.
Grumpy old man

Dan552

• Aldershot
    • Omega 2.2 Sport Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2018, 16:08:55 »

Ok, time for the all important update (hate when a thread doesn't come with a conclusion of result, be it a positive or negative result).
Ordered a replacement cam sensor, and have taken the car for a test drive. so far no Fault light on the dash, and the gearbox hasnt dropped into limp mode yet. will see what happens on the trip to work tomorrow.
Gear change still feels a little off.
i have checked the TCM and have the following info from it.
Hardware number 96024111
software number HZ 51 25
Type GS821 Z22XE
ECU Software Version Number 0003.

Can this TCM be updated to a newer version of the software?
If so is it worth doing?
How much should I expect to pay?
Any recommendations for anyone in my area who does this?

I know its a lot of questions, but i want to keep this car on the road.

Any further changes to the fault and i'll update this thread, but so far so good.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2018, 17:01:58 »

Is the cam sensor that you sourced a genuine VX one from a main dealer? As members on here have had numerous troubles with cheaper after market ones.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2018, 17:28:24 »

The man to contact in your area for Tech 2 work, such as fault finding / updates etc. is Kevin Wood. Drop him a personal message on the forum.
I believe he is in Alton, which isn't that far from you.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Dan552

• Aldershot
    • Omega 2.2 Sport Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2018, 10:36:31 »

Is the cam sensor that you sourced a genuine VX one from a main dealer? As members on here have had numerous troubles with cheaper after market ones.

Sensor was a Delphi one I picked up in Euro car parts as they didn't have the siemans ones. Seems all good at the moment. No issues on the drive to work. True test will be my drive to Bournemouth and back tonight.

Dan552

• Aldershot
    • Omega 2.2 Sport Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2018, 10:37:36 »

The man to contact in your area for Tech 2 work, such as fault finding / updates etc. is Kevin Wood. Drop him a personal message on the forum.
I believe he is in Alton, which isn't that far from you.

Thanks for the info. I'll drop Kevin a PM.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2018, 18:07:21 »

Sensor was a Delphi one I picked up in Euro car parts as they didn't have the siemans ones. Seems all good at the moment. No issues on the drive to work. True test will be my drive to Bournemouth and back tonight.
The answer to the question being "No"  ::)

Buy a genuine sensor from a genuine Vauxhall dealer that you genuinely have to walk into. Fit it and report back. Don't bother doing anything else in the meantime as it will be a waste of time and money.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.