Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Senator A2.  (Read 29758 times)

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
Re: Senator A2.
« Reply #75 on: 12 March 2017, 15:43:37 »

Ran out of mojo Mark!

Head back on-took 5 of us to get it in. Then  the splined socket came off dropping into the head-thought I'd have to take the head off again! Finally got it out after an hour.
What a pain torqueing up the head bolts-the two nearest the bulkhead are very inaccessible - its a three stage process torque, then tighten by 90 degress wait ten mins and a further 40 degrees.

Took ages-but on.

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12 March 2017, 17:13:14 »

Steve, I am somewhat surprised, given the work involved in removing and refitting the head, that you haven't lapped the valves in. Your choice of course. :y

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 12 March 2017, 18:19:48 »

Ran out of mojo Mark!

Head back on-took 5 of us to get it in. Then  the splined socket came off dropping into the head-thought I'd have to take the head off again! Finally got it out after an hour.
What a pain torqueing up the head bolts-the two nearest the bulkhead are very inaccessible - its a three stage process torque, then tighten by 90 degress wait ten mins and a further 40 degrees.

Took ages-but on.

Steve

That bit is a bar steward! On mine the long socket I was using to loosen them. with strong bar attached, just fitted under the bulkhead aperture, but when I started to loosen it was tightening up against said aperture. What a lousy design that is!

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 25 March 2017, 18:52:37 »

Evening all,
Had a good go today with my "wonderful" Senator. Even managed to start it.

Started to adjust the rockers with the engine running and the oil started to turn a lovely shade lightish brown  :'(

Looks like I either pinched the head gasket putting it on or the "O" ring that sits on the head moved.

I'll leave it a few months (to get my interest back!)and get my Royale going. I'll try and get it under the car port as more room as well.

Onwards and downwards

Steve

Previous

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 25 March 2017, 19:03:56 »

Evening all,
Had a good go today with my "wonderful" Senator. Even managed to start it.

Started to adjust the rockers with the engine running and the oil started to turn a lovely shade lightish brown  :'(

Looks like I either pinched the head gasket putting it on or the "O" ring that sits on the head moved.

I'll leave it a few months (to get my interest back!)and get my Royale going. I'll try and get it under the car port as more room as well.

Onwards and downwards

Steve
What is that an indication of?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 25 March 2017, 19:07:45 »

Water in the oil unfortunately-so head off again.

Steve
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 25 March 2017, 19:50:48 »

Oh bigger that's a shame. Yes it sounds like the rubber ring near the front has come out. Not ever had this before and if it was ok before it sounds the most likely culprit. One silly point to ask .please don't think I'm telling you what to do but the breather pipe to the side of the throttle and the water pipe near it haven't been mixed up have they?

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2017, 19:57:33 »

Thanks Chris-I'll have a look.

Regards

Steve
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2017, 20:18:39 »

Had a look-seem ok-I think it's the "o" ring-we did have difficulty getting the head to line up-so it could easily have been moved-I'll move the car to my car port (it has much more room) and take the bonnet off. The engine is very smooth - now running on 6 not 5!
Here's a photo

The only other thing I can think of are the two rear head bolts which were a right pain to get at-under the bulkhead-couldn't get my torque wrench under properly.

Regards

Steev
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 20:21:53 by Steve Brookman »
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 26 March 2017, 10:49:11 »

Round 2!
Now with a bit more room.

Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 26 March 2017, 18:39:57 »

Hell thats a shame. Even if the o ring wasnt there you would think the gasket around it would not let the water seep out that much. Take head off again and see if its that. Also make 100'/, sure the gasket was correct. Compare with old one. Make sure its correct in every detail.around the waterways etc.also thats its definately for a 3 litre. 95 mm bores .Dont recall any differences between early and later engines .water travels up to the head and circulates via that front o ring and all the pockets around each cylinder so a broken or missing or wrong gasket would change all that. Pity im not nearer to you or we could have nailed this.! .all the best .

STEMO

« Reply #86 on: 26 March 2017, 19:41:38 »

Hell thats a shame. Even if the o ring wasnt there you would think the gasket around it would not let the water seep out that much. Take head off again and see if its that. Also make 100'/, sure the gasket was correct. Compare with old one. Make sure its correct in every detail.around the waterways etc.also thats its definately for a 3 litre. 95 mm bores .Dont recall any differences between early and later engines .water travels up to the head and circulates via that front o ring and all the pockets around each cylinder so a broken or missing or wrong gasket would change all that. Pity im not nearer to you or we could have nailed this.! .all the best .
Wales isn't that far. You could be there in 4 hours or so.  ;D

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 26 March 2017, 19:51:20 »

Thanks Chris-will have a good look when I take it off -will rig up a chain lift next time so I can gently lower the head into position. I think we were too rough initially-had a big problem lining up the lugs-with the constant toing and froing I think the front O ring may have been displaced.. There are also some big pipes going across the rear of the engine over an inch in diameter-they are to do with the air con so will remove these as well. The only other concern I have is with the rear 2 head bolts-may have to modify a socket or two to try and get the torque wrench on properly.

On a positive-when I drove it this morning it was extremely smooth (if a little tappet-I only adjusted 3 or 4) and quite powerful.

Thanks again

Steve
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 27 March 2017, 09:55:24 »

Only problem now is you will need a few oil changes to get all that crap out and its very hard these days to find cheap oil just to throw in for flushing.you will probably find some unbranded unknown stuff for maybee a tenner per 5 litres at a local motor shop.or maybee do an oil change on your other cars now and use that oil as a flush .main thing is .lets hope you find the o ring missing .at least then we know whats happened.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 March 2017, 10:44:09 »

Thanks Chris-it's £12 a gallon from Wilkinsons-I'll see if they do it in bulk online. I'm sure it must be the o ring-as I said we had a lot of hassle getting it on the lugs-constant moving, lifting etc-I was a bit concerned at the time. I'll get a chain block and gently lower it this time. Will also check the gasket to see if any anomalies. But as I said-what a smooth engine!
I've still only spent about £850 including the purchase price for -apart from the doors (4 spares came with it)-a very solid car.

Regards

Steve
Previous
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.