Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Landline free.  (Read 2649 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Landline free.
« on: 17 July 2019, 20:36:08 »

Because both Talk Talk and Openreach have failed to supply me with  a dependable landline and internet access I have blocked the DD, and told Talk Talk that they have failed to honour the contract between us. They have told me there will be charges because the contract runs to November. I have told them to f*uck off as they are not offering a fit for purpose service.

Set up the Huawei 4 G router today and the difference is amazing. Broadband speeds (when working with Talk Talk) were in the order of 0.3 Up and 0.6 Down. Now I enjoy a much better 12-15 Up and 20-35 Down. If needed I should be able to get faster access with an internal aerial (cost about £15) or better still an external aerial. The quoted  speeds may seem slow to those of you who have a superfast 'cryptonite' internet connection, but compared to the glacial speeds I have been getting with Talk talk my broadband now seems to be running on 'rocket fuel'........  I have also been able to link the landline phones to the router although the number is different. Apparently I can get a landline number from a company called Sipgate for minimal cost.

All in all.....very pleased. :y

STEMO

Re: Landline free.
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 20:38:37 »

Good man, but be prepared for a fight, even a CCJ.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 20:42:50 »

Have a read through this forum, there'll probably be other people in your situation
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 20:47:11 »

I doubt they will make it easy but as far as I'm aware the contract is null and void if the provider fails to honour their part of the contract....... which is to supply me ( the customer) with telephone and internet connections.

They have already contacted me perplexed that they were unable to access their money.

They supply a service and I'm happy to pay for it. They haven't..... :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2019, 20:49:50 »

I agree! :y

Opti be very careful with cancelling the DD and so withholding payments that, at the moment, they are LEGALLY entitled to.

The best course of action is to write letters laying down exactly why you are cancelling your contract with them. List everything applicable, then express your conclusion that they have not honoured their contract with you by failing to provide the service that you should reasonably expect them to do. Claim any damages, such as costs in attempting to get them provide the service they did not, and miscellaneous charges such as cost of letters and phone calls. Throw the legal challenge to them and give a reasonable period of time for them to resolve the matter, such as 14 days, before you take legal action against them for a failure to provide a service as per contract.

Also seek advice from Citizens Advise, or a solicitor, who's costs you could add to your final claim.

That is my advice, but do please ensure you honour their contractual charges first before taking your action against them :-* :-* ;)

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2019, 20:49:57 »

I doubt they will make it easy but as far as I'm aware the contract is null and void if the provider fails to honour their part of the contract....... which is to supply me ( the customer) with telephone and internet connections.

They have already contacted me perplexed that they were unable to access their money.

They supply a service and I'm happy to pay for it. They haven't..... :)
That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't work that way I'm afraid. Like I said, have a read up on the subject and, if you can find it, Talk Talk's T&C's.

STEMO

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2019, 20:57:52 »

Opti be very careful with cancelling the DD and so withholding payments that, at the moment, they are LEGALLY entitled to.

The best course of action is to write letters laying down exactly why you are cancelling your contract with them. List everything applicable, then express your conclusion that they have not honoured their contract with you by failing to provide the service that you should reasonably expect them to do. Claim any damages, such as costs in attempting to get them provide the service they did not, and miscellaneous charges such as cost of letters and phone calls. Throw the legal challenge to them and give a reasonable period of time for them to resolve the matter, such as 14 days, before you take legal action against them for a failure to provide a service as per contract.

Also seek advice from Citizens Advise, or a solicitor, who's costs you could add to your final claim.

That is my advice, but do please ensure you honour their contractual charges first before taking your action against them :-* :-* ;)

......and I should emphasis that your letter should also claim the total monthly rental that you paid whilst they failed to provide the service they were contracted to provide. That is a crucial factor in you ensuring you pay them any outstanding monies prior to you taking the required action. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2019, 21:01:29 »

Lizzie........I have done as you suggest in writing and sent it to their HQ in Salford. I gave them 14 days to resolve the problem. They have made no effort to do so in that time.

I won't allow them to take more money via DD when they offer nothing in return.

They....and the law unto itself (known as Openreach) have been totally inept........ :-

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2019, 21:03:10 »

They can always choose to accept the remaining term as paid for in full seeing as they sold your data about a minute after you registered :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2019, 21:05:45 »

Lizzie........I have done as you suggest in writing and sent it to their HQ in Salford. I gave them 14 days to resolve the problem. They have made no effort to do so in that time.

I won't allow them to take more money via DD when they offer nothing in return.

They....and the law unto itself (known as Openreach) have been totally inept........ :-

Good.

But they are not the law Opti, so use the Consumer Rights Act 2015 against them. The link STEMO has posted is also an excellent source of legal advice.

You are dealing with a big company, the one you have a direct contract with, but they still have to adhere to your consumer rights

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2019, 09:33:14 »

and the law unto itself (known as Openreach) have been totally inept........ :-
That's OFCOMs fault, buy not allowing SPs to talk directly to Openreach for day to day operations.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2019, 09:36:19 »

Apparently I can get a landline number from a company called Sipgate for minimal cost.
Sipgate Basic is free rental, and about 1ppm for outgoing UK landline calls, no call setup fee.  I use Sipgate has my phone provider, as my physical landlines are purely to carry the broadband, and too expensive for calls.

However, you will find any form of VoIP unsatisfactory over your MiFi setup due to latency (and worse, varying latency).
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2019, 11:57:31 »

I cancelled a couple of DDs  years ago with BT & British Gas because they were totally inept at resolving problems we had at the time, received all kinds of letters asking for payment, in the end I contacted the Daily Mail money page who intervened on my behalf got an apology from BT & £25 compensation from British Gas, so stick to your guns  Opti crap service or no service means no payment in my eyes.😉

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2019, 12:26:44 »

I cancelled a couple of DDs  years ago with BT & British Gas because they were totally inept at resolving problems we had at the time, received all kinds of letters asking for payment, in the end I contacted the Daily Mail money page who intervened on my behalf got an apology from BT & £25 compensation from British Gas, so stick to your guns  Opti crap service or no service means no payment in my eyes.😉

Exactly, Mr Tilbo. :)

The idea that I continue to pay for 'no service' is not acceptable and sticks in my craw.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.