Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Landline free.  (Read 2622 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Landline free.
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2019, 12:38:36 »

and the law unto itself (known as Openreach) have been totally inept........ :-
That's OFCOMs fault, buy not allowing SPs to talk directly to Openreach for day to day operations.

Despite coming from Brackley,  a dubious location that is well known for attracting misfits and ne'er do wells, you are correct, TB. :)

I asked Talk talk to speak to Openreach to resolve the problem, but they flatly refused.

The only way to contact Openreach was via online chat. Not possible by phone. The response they gave was short and to the point "You will need to contact your service provider" :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2019, 13:20:39 »

Been using 3G/HSDPA+ and 4G as part of my Internet Access for donkeys years now and the Speeds have always been more positive, consistent and Cost effective over Fixed Line access that have been offered by Who Ever.

As for running a Fixed Phone via VOIP through the Router that can be a bit touch and go, your better off using a Router that will give you a Dumb PSTN Socket on board plug for a normal Phone and run that via the 2G GSM side of it, If, you really must need to run a Fixed Line Phone (with a GSM Number) and hope that the Network Provider will still continue to support 2G Services.

As for , External Aerials, yes a must, you need to get the highest level of Signal Strength or better still, a multiple selection of Cell sites available.

With the 5G now looking at being available in Larger or Unlimited Data Plans, no reason to suggest running a set up like should change, just only improve.

Ive always predicted that with 5G/6G Services being over saturated in Coverage when in the completion phases, the Big 5G/6G Network Player will be offering 4,5 and 6G Tier Fixed Line and Home Broadband Services as a replacement to the Cable from the Street.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 July 2019, 15:40:07 »

Apparently I can get a landline number from a company called Sipgate for minimal cost.
Sipgate Basic is free rental, and about 1ppm for outgoing UK landline calls, no call setup fee.  I use Sipgate has my phone provider, as my physical landlines are purely to carry the broadband, and too expensive for calls.

However, you will find any form of VoIP unsatisfactory over your MiFi setup due to latency (and worse, varying latency).

It looks like Sipgate will give me a free 'landline' number. But..... do they charge for both incoming and outgoing calls?....because I have free 01...02..03 outgoing calls included in my £30 PCM internet package.

Confused.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2019, 18:56:15 »

Apparently I can get a landline number from a company called Sipgate for minimal cost.
Sipgate Basic is free rental, and about 1ppm for outgoing UK landline calls, no call setup fee.  I use Sipgate has my phone provider, as my physical landlines are purely to carry the broadband, and too expensive for calls.

However, you will find any form of VoIP unsatisfactory over your MiFi setup due to latency (and worse, varying latency).

It looks like Sipgate will give me a free 'landline' number. But..... do they charge for both incoming and outgoing calls?....because I have free 01...02..03 outgoing calls included in my £30 PCM internet package.

Confused.
Sipgate (or any other VoIP provider) will not be great over you mobile solution. So I wouldn't look into it further TBH.

but to answer your question, incoming calls are free to you (other party will pay the standard rates charged for landline by their provider). Outgoing calls are charged per minute, and is something like 1.2p per minute for UK landline, 10p for UK mobiles, and 1.9p per minute for the USA, with no call setup fee.  Various monthly bundles are available, covering UK landlines, EU landlines etc...

Call rates are here https://static.sipgate.com/sipgatebasic/download/sipgate-basic-tariffs.pdf
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.