Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost overrun  (Read 12434 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Cost overrun
« on: 20 July 2019, 08:44:35 »

I see a report has been released stating that the cost of the great white elephant that is HS2 will likely rise by a measly £30bn.When a project is put out to tender and then contracts signed how can costs be allowed to just spiral in this way?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Cost overrun
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 09:21:21 »

I see a report has been released stating that the cost of the great white elephant that is HS2 will likely rise by a measly £30bn.When a project is put out to tender and then contracts signed how can costs be allowed to just spiral in this way?

It is a major British engineering project, so yes it is "allowed" to rocket beyond budget and behind time targets.  It has happened so often throughout our history over the last 200 years. ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 09:42:45 »

The Palace of Westminster cost 3 times the budget, and was supposed to be completed in 6 years. It took 30! HS2 hasn't even started to compare, and is still at a stage where we should cancel it rather than buying another white elephant.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 09:44:40 by Nick W »

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2019, 12:43:30 »

Even if it is cancelled today, it will have cost billions.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2019, 12:55:21 »

They should convert it to MagLev!  :y

Solar powered of course...  ::)    ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2019, 13:10:55 »

It's a colossal waste of money anyway, why piss more away?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2019, 13:17:15 »

Scrap hs2 and make it a 5 lane motorway, be cheaper, and a lot more beneficial., Also send it in a straight line so it demolish's large areas of Birmingham, London.  If that fails ask the Luftwaffe to come back and remodel London properly.. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2019, 13:26:24 »

The original estimate for the channel tunnel was £67/14/6d.

I believe the final cost was considerably more. :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2019, 14:05:43 »

It is a major British engineering project, so yes it is "allowed" to rocket beyond budget and behind time targets.  It has happened so often throughout our history over the last 200 years. ::) ::) :D :D ;)

yes and the rich taxpayers have deep pockets so why let a minor overrun upset anyone.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2019, 14:54:27 »

yes and the rich taxpayers have deep pockets so why let a minor overrun upset anyone.

Indeed, and just think of the jobs it will create.

In addition we all want to see Britain Great again, so with the money they tell us we will save by existing the EU we can pay for this new line outright! :P :P :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2019, 09:58:03 »

Ah, but which original figures are we talking, as the initial roadshows I attended, run by Network Rail (because HS2 Ltd didn't exist properly then) couldn't make their mind up between £23bn and £30bn in their presentation.  When I asked for clarification, I was told its "only" a small discrepancy, and that it was irrelevant.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2019, 10:15:48 »

Indeed, and just think of the jobs it will create.

In addition we all want to see Britain Great again, so with the money they tell us we will save by existing the EU we can pay for this new line outright! :P :P :D :D ;)
This *ISN'T* the way.

Again, from the roadshows, for this to break even (ignoring build costs, this is just running costs), the maths is:
60% of every fare is to be subsidised by the taxpayer
Every train has to be at capacity (1200 people)
A train has to run every 3 minutes (I challenged them on the safety of a 180mph train at 3 min intervals, but was assured this wasn't an issue)

So, being the stupid kid from the local comp, my maths aint great, but that means it needs to carry well over a million people at day at full fare...  ...and "break even" still means the taxpayer footing 60% of the running cost (which again my schoolboy maths puts that well in excess of £55bn of taxpayer burden annually, or about £2k for everybody in employment).

Its an absolute colossal waste of money and resources. Their figures do not add up by orders of magnitude, and to quote on of the senior Network Rail execs at one of the early meetings when I pressed him, this is to secure their jobs, and make money for them.

Obviously, build costs do not include the additional costs to local councils for this great white elephant.  Our local town council are having to spend a fortune on anti gypo defences everywhere around town, because even the council is intelligent enough to know that this will not be built by skilled labour, but by diddys.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2019, 15:17:38 »

You need to vote for the Brexit party then, as scrapping HS2 was the first policy they decided on after the Euro elections.  :y :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2019, 18:07:36 »

You need to vote for the Brexit party then, as scrapping HS2 was the first policy they decided on after the Euro elections.  :y :D

So let's make Britain Great again once we leave the EU, but then let's cancel a great British engineering project that confirms we can still undertake such a project that the Victorians used to eat for breakfast! ::)  ::)

Little Britain here we come! :o :o

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2019, 18:28:59 »

So let's make Britain Great again once we leave the EU, but then let's cancel a great British engineering project that confirms we can still undertake such a project that the Victorians used to eat for breakfast! ::)  ::)

Little Britain here we come! :o :o
As Donald would say... 'If you don't like it......eff off'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.