Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self leveling headlight removal  (Read 3680 times)

gazzap

• colchester essex
    • Omega Estate 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
Self leveling headlight removal
« on: 07 November 2020, 19:30:39 »

Evening guys, anyone help me with my self leveling headlights, they never worked when i had the car and its a pretty pointless system, as for the prices of replacements :/ anyone know if you can convert them to manual? So i can control the height from the headlamp switch? Its a 2002 2.6 mv6, cheers

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Self leveling headlight removal
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2020, 19:39:35 »

You do know that the headlight end of the system is the same?

The self levelling is pretty reliable unless some oaf has broken the front height sensor on the NSF wishbone.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2020, 19:41:06 »

Generally reliable, cheap to repair (with used parts), and a legal requirement.
Grumpy old man

gazzap

• colchester essex
    • Omega Estate 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2020, 19:48:23 »

I binned the level sensors on the wishbones because they were destroyed ages ago, im just wondering if you can wire the headlights so you can adjust them up and down manually rather than having to purchase new sensors? Atm ive taken the motors plugs off because as soon as you turn the car on the headlights point up to the sky, so they adjusted to be legal atm using the adjusters on the actual headlamps

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2020, 19:50:29 »

I binned the level sensors on the wishbones because they were destroyed ages ago, im just wondering if you can wire the headlights so you can adjust them up and down manually rather than having to purchase new sensors? Atm ive taken the motors plugs off because as soon as you turn the car on the headlights point up to the sky, so they adjusted to be legal atm using the adjusters on the actual headlamps
MOT failure.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2020, 19:54:49 »

I would imagine that you can get good 2nd hand sensors for £20 each. Or less. Did you bin both of them?

The system should point the headlights down under error conditions, so I imagine your adjusters in the headlights are trashed, which is a separate issue that also needs resolving.

To remain legal, you would have to remove your headlights, and replace them with halogen units from a GLS or CD model, along with the light switch. You would have to do some rewiring as well.

Hence, easier/cheaper to fix what you have.
Grumpy old man

gazzap

• colchester essex
    • Omega Estate 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2020, 20:08:31 »

I would imagine that you can get good 2nd hand sensors for £20 each. Or less. Did you bin both of them?

The system should point the headlights down under error conditions, so I imagine your adjusters in the headlights are trashed, which is a separate issue that also needs resolving.

To remain legal, you would have to remove your headlights, and replace them with halogen units from a GLS or CD model, along with the light switch. You would have to do some rewiring as well.

40 quid for one ebay, its just the fun of finding them, alot of people dont want to sell them as there rare, yeah ill have to have a look into it

As for the legal side i dont understand why having manually adjusting xenons would be illegal, considering cars from the same era came with manually leveling xenons too, surely as long as they can go up and down with control they would be fine?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2020, 20:19:45 »

That's almost exactly how I would have put it. I think I need to go for a lie down ;D

First thing is to check the adjusters: remove the bulb access cover and wiggle the reflector - if it moves you need new adjusters, like most Omega headlamps. You can probably do this by giving the lens a good thump and watching what happens.

When that's done, reinstate the height sensors and you'll have a system that you won't notice working. Which is much easier than trying to create a lash-up

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2020, 20:20:51 »

My understanding was that self levelling must work if fitted. If you remove it, its not fitted. I may be wrong though.
Best to check with your MOT man.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2020, 20:26:18 »

My understanding was that self levelling must work if fitted. If you remove it, its not fitted. I may be wrong though.
Best to check with your MOT man.
I thought cars fitted with HIDs had to be self levelled and have washers. I may be wrong, too, but it would be very unusual, as everyone knows.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2020, 20:30:18 »

Washers are obvious. Self levelling isnt. My previous Omega had HID,s retro fitted without s/l and always passed the MOT.
May depend on the tester though ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2020, 20:34:44 »

Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.
The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.
This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.
HID headlamps can be easily recognised as they generally:
u take a few seconds to reach full intensity
u have a bluish tinge to the light
u have an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp
u may also have ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.
Headlamp washing and levelling systems are mandatory for all vehicles fitted with LED headlamp systems, although these are not yet widely used and only tend to be optional fitment on some executive marques. However, as LED systems improve and because they can be arranged in almost any design configuration, they are sure to become more common.
Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2020, 20:35:30 »

It isn't great, as it takes you to a realm of grey areas...

Swap the headlight motors for non xenon ones.

Swap the headlight switch for non xenon one, ie for one WITH the level control.

Test.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2020, 21:01:20 »

I actually kept a pair of old halogen headlights in the shed in case mine failed the test for lacking s/l but it never did.
Things might have been tightened up since then though.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2020, 21:03:10 »

I actually kept a pair of old halogen headlights in the shed in case mine failed the test for lacking s/l but it never did.
I've posted the info above, Paddy, try reading it  ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2020, 21:07:00 »

I've posted the info above, Paddy, try reading it  ;D

Too much writing. Lifes to short.  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2020, 11:54:06 »

It isn't great, as it takes you to a realm of grey areas...

Swap the headlight motors for non xenon ones.

Swap the headlight switch for non xenon one, ie for one WITH the level control.

Test.
And the rewiring shite.

Far cheaper to fix the problem. Plus it keeps you within the law.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.