Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting home network hardware  (Read 2915 times)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting home network hardware
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2018, 12:37:15 »

As part of the new house design, and off the back of the other network related thread, I've been thinking about network hardware and it's raised a couple of questions. Which hopefully a few members here, or indeed our esteemed leader may be able to answer.

Im planning to run in cables down to network sockets for TVs, PS4, SWMBO'S work pc and a few Sonos products. I'll also need to retain WiFi for ad hoc phone and tablet browsing.

I'll need to run in some cable to add a secondary WiFi point and network sockets in the detached garage building (part of which will surreptitiously become my office in due course). I also may want to run a cable down to a greenhouse at the end of the patch of land for a raspberry pi project in the long term. So, questions...

1. Can someone recommend an alternative to the BT/sky homebox router that will support c 10 wired connections in the main house and do WiFi and act as my ISP box.
2. Can I run network cable alongside the ringmains without causing interference/impacting performance.
3. As per 1. But a smaller unit for the garage C5 wired connections and some WiFi.
4. Is there a max run length for network cable, if so, what is it. 5. Budget, particularly re. 1& 3, the WiFi doesn't need to be enterprise grade stuff, so neither does the price tag ;).

Thanks in advance  :y
1. Don't buy another router, buy a switch.
2. Yes
3. You want a wifi access point? Just buy lower end/middle market access point. I say don't spend too much because they'll probably be another wifi standard next week.
5. 100m is the standard, but I've run up to 150m before with only slight loss of speed.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2018, 17:37:13 »

.. of course, in 5 years time we'll probably all be kicking ourselves for not wiring up our houses with fibre. ::)
I think 10Gbps cat6 will future proof us for the next 10-5yrs.  I don't think the 100Gbps cards are coming down to a sensible price soon, nor are 100Gbps linecards for routers, that are still a smidgen over $1m (list) per card.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2018, 17:39:42 »

with only slight loss of speed.
That's a bigger problem than it looks, because you must be getting retries on TCP (it wont sync a little bit slower, it will be 1Gb, 100Mb or 10Mb). Which means udp packets are being lost.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2018, 17:41:23 »

.. of course, in 5 years time we'll probably all be kicking ourselves for not wiring up our houses with fibre. ::)
In 20 years time we'll probably all be wondering why We bothered in the first place, as the Internet went Bang 3 years prior to that.  :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2018, 17:47:23 »

I think 10Gbps cat6 will future proof us for the next 10-5yrs.  I don't think the 100Gbps cards are coming down to a sensible price soon, nor are 100Gbps linecards for routers, that are still a smidgen over $1m (list) per card.
Just a tad over budget for my understairs cupboard at the moment, then. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.