Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake (upgrade) advice  (Read 1728 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Brake (upgrade) advice
« on: 08 November 2008, 11:57:35 »

My car is getting to the point where I really should be thinking about new disks all round (it's a facelift, so has vented rears).

I am seriously considering the upgrade to the Monaro/Commodore/GTO brake calipers at the front as CateraMV6 has done and talked about often, but my main question at the moment is this:

If I wanted to replace my disks (all round) with vented, drilled and grooved disks will this be wise and, if so, what source/manufacturer would people recommend?

EDIT: Things I've found thus far...

Starting point as they need doing anyway (Standard on TC from local Vx stealers):

• Fronts: £72.83+VAT (Pad and Disk set)
  • Rears: £81.30+VAT (Vented Disks only)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBC-Vauxhall-Carlton-Omega-Uprated-Front-Brake-Discs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ250309922806
Bloody hell that's expensive! £170 per pair of disks just for the front. Marketing words look good though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320281071004&cguid=db57131611c0a0aad3e34bc3ffdeae13
These seem more reasonable at £165 all round, but would you trust the web-site?

EDIT2: I just called them and they seem pretty professional. Apparently standard disks with drill holes and grooves machined in. They are "handed" too for left and right sides so seem to be OK.

The key difference here is that these are:
  • a) not EBC
  • b) drilled all the way through rather than "dimpled" as the EBC claim improves things
http://brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d12255.html
£43+VAT per pair for the fronts from here, but I think they relatively "standard".

http://brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d12256.html
£61+VAT per pair for the rears from the same place, again relatively standard (vented for facelift).
« Last Edit: 08 November 2008, 14:02:26 by Albatross »

feeutfo

Re: Brake (upgrade) advice
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2008, 13:47:08 »

you probably already know but Mick Dundee has ebc's. I believe he uses their red pads as well for more bite iirc.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2008, 13:51:37 »

the saab discs should be easy enough to get (can easily get drilled and slotted discs too and if you get the same size rotor then they're a straight swap too) unsure about the larger discs (308 and 314) if they are straight swap

you could have a look on www.europerformance.co.uk but they're usually expensive
V8!!!!

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2008, 14:00:49 »

the saab discs should be easy enough to get (can easily get drilled and slotted discs too and if you get the same size rotor then they're a straight swap too) unsure about the larger discs (308 and 314) if they are straight swap

you could have a look on www.europerformance.co.uk but they're usually expensive

How would you be able to fit bigger diameter disks? Surely the caliper wouldn't grip the disk properly or, worse still, the disks would foul the caliper if they fitted at all.

I have 19" wheels so there isn't an issue fitting bigger disks in there.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2008, 14:19:13 »

in answer to that point nathan you have to use the matching calipers..
not sure if you'd need an adapter plate for some though
depends if the saab knuckle on the bottom of the strut has the same caliper bolt holes or not
V8!!!!

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2008, 14:31:18 »

Now that's something worth investigating.

I'd love to increase the disk size on the front and put bigger calipers on. If Saab is a way forward maybe that wold be better than the Monaro route.

With the GM brake caliper upgrade you still end up with the same size disk and IMO these look a bit small through a 19" wheel.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2008, 14:31:32 by Albatross »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2008, 16:20:26 »

whats on their currently, GM stuff?

I personally find the factory fit brakes excellent, unless going mad with them, they hold up fine.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2008, 16:29:09 »

Yep all standard GM stuff.

I need to change the disks anyway; I got an advisory on my last MOT on all 4 disks.

I do appreciate where you're coming from Tunnie, but I'm just exploring options. I like to play with the car: LSD, wheels, kit etc. I'm going for Catera rear lights, side repeaters in the wing mirrors,  self-folding door mirrors, Cartera trims between the front wheel arch and front door to remove the lower side repeater... the list goes on.

It's just my toy. I have other "wheeled" options, but this is just fun for me.

I've had a RWD Vx on the go ever since my old silver 1.3 Chevette "bug-eyed" saloon JUL 734W. I loved that car. We stripped it down to ever single last component over a year as our study project at college, had the body completely re-done and sprayed and then re-assembled. I knew it inside out.

When it got to the end of the year it was going to be sold by the college, so I bought it. :y

I've never been able to stop and just like to have a car (prefer RWD Vx, sad I know, but it reminds me of my 1st car) there to fiddle with and it makes me feel good to know it has had various "upgrades" whether they're really necessary or not.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2008, 16:30:36 by Albatross »

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2008, 17:42:59 »

I understand it's your 'toy' and the best of luck, however for people with a brake problem the one thing which can be over looked is to change the 'brake fluid' every two years, very important because the fluid is 'hygroscopic' ie tends to absorb moisture from the air, this causes a number of problems, moisture reduces pedal pressure therefore brake efficiency, moisture can cause the brake pipes to corrode from the 'inside out'.
regards
richard a
richard a

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2008, 17:58:48 »

Thanks for the very good and sound advice on the fluid and I will do that now that you've told me, but I have no brake performance issues per-se, simply a need to change the disks as a result of the MOT advisory.

As I have to replace them anyway, and they're quite expensive, I'm just looking at the various options out there.

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2008, 20:01:22 »

Thanks for the very good and sound advice on the fluid and I will do that now that you've told me, but I have no brake performance issues per-se, simply a need to change the disks as a result of the MOT advisory.

As I have to replace them anyway, and they're quite expensive, I'm just looking at the various options out there.

Makes perfect sense to me. As we seem to have concluded with the exhausts for the omega. We need to start thinking outside the gm box... We may miss something better otherwise.

Personally, i feel the need for more response from the pedal. However, i wonder though, that an increase in performance will just bring the abs cut in point nearer, keep finding the pedal banging away when playing as it is . What ever the case, very interested in this thread, gm or otherwise.

Keep wondering about goodridge braided lines to replace the rubber flexible hoses but thats not totally  relevent to this thread. Ill get round to it one day.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2008, 20:09:38 »

If the ABS is cutting in regularly then I think you need to look at the tyres as the ABS only cuts in when a specified speed differential exists between wheels. With this in mind, your brake action is thus greater than the available traction at the tyres.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2008, 20:14:27 »

If the ABS is cutting in regularly then I think you need to look at the tyres as the ABS only cuts in when a specified speed differential exists between wheels. With this in mind, your brake action is thus greater than the available traction at the tyres.

i could get the abs on my 2.0 to cut in quite easily (theres a bit of tarmac at the end of my road that none of my cars have really liked) and it had an abs field day even when i'd swapped to 235's
V8!!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2008, 20:32:11 »

yep threshold moves with the grip level, obviously. Easier to meet that threshold with better breaks i wonder? Might be irritating? Messing with mega bucks of gm  r and d is going to be hard to beat.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2014, 18:50:52 »

Sorry for digging this thread up but can somebody remind me the distance between centres on the omega caliper carriers on the front?
and then take me out to be shot for not knowing lol

Alex
V8!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.