Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another SAT NAV question  (Read 5291 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Another SAT NAV question
« on: 03 February 2008, 19:18:03 »

Sorry if this has been asked before; it seems such an obvous one I'd be surprised if it hadn't, but I can't find any sign.

I've just (today) bought an Elite 3.2 (2001 Y plate) which has the amber top-half screen SAT NAV system and all seems to work just fine. The disc is abit out of date and I'll have to work out how to register for new a disc I suppose.

Is it possible to upgrade it from teh amber half screen jobby to the colour SAT NAV system and is this a big job? What needs to be done if this is possible?

I have a TrafficMaster (Tm) button on the right hand side of the dash, if I press it twice it tells me I need to re-register it. Does this inegrate with the SATNAV so that the route is updated around bad traffic jams automatically?

I've never had either SAT NAV or Tm before so I'm sorry if these are really stupid questions.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Another SAT NAV question
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2008, 19:36:25 »

Upgrade to a colour screen is easy enough to do, you just need a screen and someone with a Tech II device to configure it (So don't go to Vauxhall, speak to either 'The Boy' or 'Marks DTM')

The only problem is in locating an 'unpaired' screen. Unless the screen has been unpaired from the head unit it is worthless. This unpairing can only be done while both the original head uniit and screen are in the vehicle. If you want to buy a new screen from a dealers you are looking at more than £1000.

Traffic Master is simply local travel (In the direction of travel once you have passed two blue TM cameras) information. The audio is routed through your head unit, it does not interface with the Sat Nav although there were plans to do this a few years ago.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2008, 19:46:46 »

Thanks for that.

£1000 ain't going to happen!

I'll spend that on other stuff long before a colour screen. So this unpairing thing is not an easy process I take it?

What is the "head unit"? Is it an unreasonable logic to think "OK I'll look into screen and head unit"? What's involved there or is it easier to try to find an "unpaired" screen?

BTW Who is "The Boy"?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2008, 20:21:41 »

Thanks for that.

I'll spend that on other stuff long before a colour screen. So this unpairing thing is not an easy process I take it?

What is the "head unit"? Is it an unreasonable logic to think "OK I'll look into screen and head unit"? What's involved there or is it easier to try to find an "unpaired" screen?

BTW Who is "The Boy"?

Unpairing the screen from the head unit isn't difficult as long as you have access to a Tech II and someone who knows how to use it (hence why I recommend you don't use a Vauxhall dealer), most people don't understand this when stripping a car or buying a second hand unit and end up with unuseable kit.

Head unit is your radio/cd/sat nav unit (probably a Siemens 2013 in your car).

The Boy and Marks DTM Calibra are admins on this site, both have Tech II units and know how to use them!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2008, 20:47:47 »

Thanks for that.

BTW Who is "The Boy"?
Me ;)

The GID needs to be unpaired from your existing head unit.  Your carpass is needed for this.

The CID (in delivery mode!) is then paired to your head unit, again, carpass needed.  RGB cable also needed.

If the CID is not in delivery mode, its as much use as a brick.
Grumpy old man

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2008, 14:43:45 »

Thanks for that.

BTW Who is "The Boy"?
Me ;)

The GID needs to be unpaired from your existing head unit.  Your carpass is needed for this.

The CID (in delivery mode!) is then paired to your head unit, again, carpass needed.  RGB cable also needed.

All sounds good, I think mine's the Siemens head unit with Bose sound system ont eh later Elite 3.2.

So where would I start to look for a CID in delivery mode?

What's the "carpass"?

Where do I get the RGB lead, I suppose you'd get that from teh source of the CID?

What's a typical price?

If I pay someone to help me fit this; i.e. "The Boy" or another willing helper what's the going rate?

If you wanted to PM me on this aspect then please do or write to nathanmoulds(AT)yahoo(DOT)com :-X

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice so far. :y I'm brand new here and to my Omega so I'm a bit clueless at present. I'm no numpty and will get there quickly if given guidance.   ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2008, 14:51:13 »

Best place for CID and RGB Cable is from German eBay. www.ebay.de

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2008, 15:16:25 »

Thanks for that.

BTW Who is "The Boy"?
Me ;)

All sounds good, I think mine's the Siemens head unit with Bose sound system ont eh later Elite 3.2.

What's the "carpass"?

Where do I get the RGB lead, I suppose you'd get that from teh source of the CID?

What's a typical price?

If I pay someone to help me fit this; i.e. "The Boy" or another willing helper what's the going rate?

If you wanted to PM me on this aspect then please do or write to nathanmoulds(AT)yahoo(DOT)com :-X

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice so far. :y I'm brand new here and to my Omega so I'm a bit clueless at present. I'm no numpty and will get there quickly if given guidance.   ;)
I will happily depair/remove old display and fit/pair yours.  I'd love to do this for free, but I need to make a charge (http://theboy.omegaowners.com) to partially cover the initial and ongoing costs of the Tech2.  I've done a few of these now.  Marks_DTM_Calib has similar facilities and knows his stuff as well.

Carpass is the bit of card that in your case has the mechanical key number and immobiliser PIN on it (older cars also have radio code and cd codes on). If lost, your dealer can get from VIN for £15 to £45 (shop around!).

Is yours a NCDC2011, NCDC2013 or NDCD2015?
Grumpy old man

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2008, 17:30:11 »

Thanks for that.

BTW Who is "The Boy"?
Me ;)

What's the "carpass"?

What's a typical price?

I will happily depair/remove old display and fit/pair yours.  I'd love to do this for free, but I need to make a charge (http://theboy.omegaowners.com) to partially cover the initial and ongoing costs of the Tech2.  I've done a few of these now.  Marks_DTM_Calib has similar facilities and knows his stuff as well.

Carpass is the bit of card that in your case has the mechanical key number and immobiliser PIN on it (older cars also have radio code and cd codes on). If lost, your dealer can get from VIN for £15 to £45 (shop around!).

Sounds like a good deal. I've managed to find EdwardMickey and have dropped him a PM and e-mail, so i'll let you know by PM where we're going on this.

BTW, I called 'Fred' my mechanic on the cambelt discussion we had and he tells me that he bought a cam locking kit for the V6 Omega last year and has done a good 10 or so Omega's with it. He is a good friend so I trust him to get it right because he knows I'll give him a hard time if he doesn't. Seriously though, he always likes to a top job and is proud of every car that he ever gives me back. I still hope to see/meet you in Telford and will make my decision on this after coming there though as you suggested.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2008, 17:59:00 »

BTW, I called 'Fred' my mechanic on the cambelt discussion we had and he tells me that he bought a cam locking kit for the V6 Omega last year and has done a good 10 or so Omega's with it. He is a good friend so I trust him to get it right because he knows I'll give him a hard time if he doesn't. Seriously though, he always likes to a top job and is proud of every car that he ever gives me back. I still hope to see/meet you in Telford and will make my decision on this after coming there though as you suggested.
The 3.2 is a little more fiddly than standard V6 due to bottom tensioner being non adjustable, so ask him if has done one of these.  Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Also, as discussed, consider getting one of our v6 cambelt DVDs (its for a 2.5/3.0, so marginally different when it comes to putting belt on), so you can see what you're up against. PM 'Robin Hood' if you're interested.
Grumpy old man

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2008, 22:54:12 »

I will happily depair/remove old display and fit/pair yours.  I'd love to do this for free, but I need to make a charge (http://theboy.omegaowners.com) to partially cover the initial and ongoing costs of the Tech2.  I've done a few of these now.

Sounds like a good deal. I've managed to find EdwardMickey and have dropped him a PM and e-mail, so i'll let you know by PM where we're going on this.

EdwardMickey (Keith) and I have agreed on a price for the CID. Thanks for the lead.

More than happy to pay your going rate. I'll have to get in touch with the seller to make sure he's got, or can get, the carpass.

We are thinking about pestering you to do our respective CID/GID swap outs on the same day at your place as soon after I get the car as possible (I pick it up on the 29th of this month, woo hoo).

Having spoken to Mickey (not being able to see the car right now) we reckon it is a NCDC2013 as it has the single slot for the CD at the top and a 4CD multi-changer below. It has a black front (not silver like a Vectra) and does not have the SIM card holder attachment in the glove box as some of the German Omegas have.

Thanks and look forward to meeting you then or in Telford if I can get there.

If you could peraps you could PM me with a number so I and Keith can get in touch with you to arrange a good time.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 23:04:40 by Albatross »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2008, 19:08:19 »

I will happily depair/remove old display and fit/pair yours.  I'd love to do this for free, but I need to make a charge (http://theboy.omegaowners.com) to partially cover the initial and ongoing costs of the Tech2.  I've done a few of these now.

EdwardMickey (Keith) and I have agreed on a price for the CID. Thanks for the lead.

More than happy to pay your going rate. I'll have to get in touch with the seller to make sure he's got, or can get, the carpass.

We are thinking about pestering you to do our respective CID/GID swap outs on the same day at your place as soon after I get the car as possible (I pick it up on the 29th of this month, woo hoo).

Having spoken to Mickey (not being able to see the car right now) we reckon it is a NCDC2013 as it has the single slot for the CD at the top and a 4CD multi-changer below. It has a black front (not silver like a Vectra) and does not have the SIM card holder attachment in the glove box as some of the German Omegas have.

If you could peraps you could PM me with a number so I and Keith can get in touch with you to arrange a good time.
Excellent news :y

Makes sense to do on same day.
Grumpy old man

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2008, 19:14:42 »

Excellent news :y

Only problem is that I'm keen to get it removed soonest so that I can sell the car soonest!  Mileage is on 98960 and don't want it to creep over the 100k mark (no different to selling a product for 99p as opposed to £1).

I'll pm you jamie with my available dates if that's no too cheeky   ;)

May have some news on a forthcoming auction for a non-white MV6 manual on a 52 plate soon too   ::)

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2008, 19:16:19 »

Don't worry Mr Albatros, I'd be there for your installation so that you know it's working (and who to throttle if it don't)   ;D

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2008, 19:35:37 »

Only problem is that I'm keen to get it removed soonest so that I can sell the car soonest!

Sorry i can't provide my car until the 29th at the earliest as that is the day I'm picking it up. i'll have the money for the CID by then too.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.