Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SatNav (What is TMC?)  (Read 5789 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
SatNav (What is TMC?)
« on: 21 March 2008, 21:53:29 »

I just upgraded my SatNav disk from the 2001 disk which came new with the car to the latest NavTeq 2007/8 disk and there are a couple of neat new features. I love the "Intersection Zoom" for example; that'll stop me getting confused at big complicated roundabouts.

One of the items on the list is "TMC" which when activated states that "The current station does not suport TMC".

It lets me select a station which does; in my location only 1 comes up on the list which is "Classic".

I've tuned it to that and got TMC active. What is it doing and when will I notice it doing something if at all?

Also, does anyone know which stations do support TMC with perhaps a more appropriate type of music than Classical (OK sometimes, but not my general cup of tea)
« Last Edit: 21 March 2008, 21:59:17 by Albatross »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: SatNav (What is TMC?)
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2008, 21:56:02 »

TMC = traffic info, not really used in UK. Classic claim to transmit, not sure if they actually do though?
Grumpy old man

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2008, 22:00:41 »

TMC = traffic info, not really used in UK. Classic claim to transmit, not sure if they actually do though?

Cool, is it interwoven with the SatNav then so that the route avoids jams etc.?

I'm guessing that when you say that it doesn't work in the UK, it does in places in Europe?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2008, 22:16:30 »

I'm guessing that when you say that it doesn't work in the UK, it does in places in Europe?
Not sure, never seen it work.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2008, 22:29:18 »

Traffic Message Channel....

Supposed to interface with the Nav and allow dynamic re-routing but never seen it do anything on mine apart from want me to tune into classic...........

Where did you get the 07/08 disc if you don't mind me asking?

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2008, 22:35:19 »

Traffic Message Channel....

Supposed to interface with the Nav and allow dynamic re-routing but never seen it do anything on mine apart from want me to tune into classic...........

Where did you get the 07/08 disc if you don't mind me asking?

I would love to tell you... :-X

PM ;)

NickA

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2008, 16:50:38 »

It works  in Europe, I've used it in France,  you get messages on the screen telling you what's happening on the route/ in the area and the map gets marked with symbols showing contraflows and roadworks/holdups etc. The satnav will also ask you if you want to be diverted around the delay if it's serious enough.

It doesn't work in the UK does to some licencing issue. You can tune to Classic all day, the system knows it's connected to a TMC station but you get bugger all info  >:(

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2008, 20:43:57 »

It works  in Europe, I've used it in France,  you get messages on the screen telling you what's happening on the route/ in the area and the map gets marked with symbols showing contraflows and roadworks/holdups etc. The satnav will also ask you if you want to be diverted around the delay if it's serious enough.

It doesn't work in the UK does to some licencing issue. You can tune to Classic all day, the system knows it's connected to a TMC station but you get bugger all info  >:(

Good old "Great" Britain eh?

I've just found this on http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/our_solutions/traffic_services.php

I'm going to call them on Tuesday.

RDS-TMC traffic alerts

Six of the top ten UK car brands and a range of portable navigation systems use our RDS-TMC traffic alerts to make their sat nav smarter.

Trafficmaster RDS-TMC traffic alerts are available on selected navigation systems with the following manufacturers:

Audi, Bentley, Citroen, Honda, Peugeot, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Saab, Skoda and Seat

Don't have a factory fit sat nav?  You can also receive our RDS-TMC traffic alerts on portable navigation systems from Garmin, Medion, Magellan, JVC, Siemens, Navigon, Alpine, Destinator, Wayfinder, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Becker, Delphi, BlueMedia and LG.

What is RDS-TMC? (http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/__assets/tscio53ehdkgkp69qa.pdf)

Trafficmaster’s RDS TMC service is a reliable and robust method of delivering our high quality, realtime traffic information and traffic incident data directly into the satellite navigation system in you car.
The traffic information provided by Trafficmaster can be used by the satellite navigation system to provide dynamic routing. This allows you to receive alerts and select alternative routes and avoid traffic jams on the UK’s roads.

How does RDS-TMC work?

RDS TMC (Radio Data System – Traffic Message Channel) is an industry standard for broadcasting traffic data within the FM radio signal. We work with commercial radio stations, including GCap Media Plc, Emap Radio and Chrysalis, to transmit its data via radio transmitters across the UK. The data is coded in accordance with the TMC standard and is decoded by your navigation system to provide you with verbal or visual alerts for traffic incidents on your route.

Who regulates RDS-TMC?

The TMC standard is administered by an industry body, The TMC Forum, which is overseen by ERTICO, a Brussels based organisation funded jointly by its members and the European Union. Trafficmaster’s RDS TMC service conforms to standards approved by the TMC Forum www.tmcforum.com and ERTICO www.ertico.com.

What are the benefits of Trafficmaster RDS-TMC?

Trafficmaster provides the highest quality traffic information available within the UK. Benefits include:

• Extensive coverage
Our traffic network covers 8,000 miles of UK roads including all (mainland) motorways and 95% of trunk roads. This data is supplemented with information gathered from other sources such as the Police and The Highways Agency. We also work with Transport for London in a sole partnership that means we can also offer comprehensive traffic flow data across the capital.

• Real-time data
Traffic information comes from Trafficmaster’s established network of over 7,500 roadside sensors, which monitor traffic flow 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Traffic information is updated every four minutes and offers the most up-to-the-minute accurate traffic data.

• Commitment
Trafficmaster continues to enhance its traffic data and has amassed a comprehensive database of real average road speeds, which supplements our real-time data and includes roads not already covered by the Trafficmaster network of fixed sensors.

dejongj

• Whipsnade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2008, 20:16:55 »

I've had RDS-TMC for many years now, but not on a Vauxhall. RDS-TMC information is encrypted in the UK and is paid for via license through the map data.

There are two providers ITIS Holdings and Traffic Master, but don't be fooled as Traffic Master does not use their own network for the info.

It works rather well in my experience, most of the complaints from the system are through TomTom owners but since it uses a rather useless antenna it just never works well.

The one build into my wife's Murano is fantastic, and on handheld Garmin, Sony, Navigon and Co-Pilot satnav systems it worked well for me as well.

Whether the Vauxhall map data actually include the license for the UK to decrypt the information I do not know. In the early days of introduction it was well documented that Renault for example had two different priced discs one with the license and one without, but if you didn't order it at the time of purchasing the car they wouldn't sell it to you! Daft but true....

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2008, 08:11:23 »

TMC - Traffic Message Channel actually works just as well in the UK as it does in Europe.

the main difference is that in Europe it is Free to Air, whereas in the UK it is a subscription based service with very few takers.

The equipment used to receive TMC will include either an external or built in antenna, seperate from the main one for the device, and will continuously monitor the TMC broadcasts that are distributed via the Classic FM station network.

If it was Free in the UK, many may have a higher opinion of it  :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2008, 21:51:29 »

TMC - Traffic Message Channel actually works just as well in the UK as it does in Europe.

the main difference is that in Europe it is Free to Air, whereas in the UK it is a subscription based service with very few takers.

The equipment used to receive TMC will include either an external or built in antenna, seperate from the main one for the device, and will continuously monitor the TMC broadcasts that are distributed via the Classic FM station network.

So how do you subscribe?
Grumpy old man

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2008, 22:04:07 »

So how do you subscribe?

I shall be finding out 1s thing tomorrow morning I hope. TrafficMaster talk about TMC a lot on their web-site, so I'm going to call them with debit card in hand.

If they say it will work with my NCDC2013 then I'm going to try it. I want a TM system that dynamically re-routes me round bad traffic, and is fitted into the car.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2008, 22:04:42 by Albatross »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2008, 08:43:36 »

So how do you subscribe?

Back in the early days when we sold the additional TMC units for the Carin, The Mapping software disc included was a different version to the standard one, and included the subscription.

the idea was that as you renewed your mapping disc every year, you would buy teh TMC one and effectively renew the subscription at the same time.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2008, 14:34:51 »

Hi, Which Satnav system do you have that allows you to see zoomed in intersections.  I have the text only version (ie not colour screen).

I will upgrade to the 2007/08 disk if it shows zoomed intersections because I have regularly taken the wrong exit!

Thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2008, 17:56:10 »

Hi, Which Satnav system do you have that allows you to see zoomed in intersections.  I have the text only version (ie not colour screen).

I will upgrade to the 2007/08 disk if it shows zoomed intersections because I have regularly taken the wrong exit!

Thanks
You don't state what you have?

If your car is a prefacelift, and hence the old Carin system, theres not much you can do.  Its still a reasonable system, if a bit slow and cumbersome to use.

If your car is a facelift, with NCDC series stereo, but half height graphic display, again, like the Carin, its pictorial guides only.  However, the display on this stereo can be upgraded to the full colour one, giving a proper map view.  The Colour display (CID) is horrendously expensive (like over £1k new) and needs programming to car, though 2nd hand ones can be got cheaper.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.