Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaving  (Read 5859 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Shaving
« on: 16 August 2016, 23:46:47 »

Having had a beard since 1992 i decided to shave it off a few weeks ago, considering a change in blades (Brand/type) and keep toying with the idea of a cut throat razer :-[

Then over the last few days have seen the Phillips Oneblade on tv.

Just looked them up on the net and there a re a few models varying in price. :-\

Just wondered what peoples preferences were and do the the 5 blade edges make a difference from the double edge razors. ::)

Also has anyone got/used the Phillips Oneblade.

Cut thoat razors, any one use them ? :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Shaving
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2016, 23:57:00 »

Then over the last few days have seen the Phillips Oneblade on tv.

Just looked them up on the net and there a re a few models varying in price. :-\

I've not use one, but a lad at work tried one recently & was quite impressed ..... and he has a fairly heavy beard  :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2016, 23:58:42 »

Going against fashion trends?? Havent you seen the latest must have is a beard

I grew mine when imanaged to resolve a very difficult case at work in 1983. Damn sight easier than the shaving milarkey.

Ps where will you keep snacks for between meals now?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2016, 00:00:54 »

Going against fashion trends?? Havent you seen the latest must have is a beard

I grew mine when imanaged to resolve a very difficult case at work in 1983. Damn sight easier than the shaving milarkey.

Ps where will you keep snacks for between meals now?

aside from the moaning from SWMBO if I don't shave for a week or two, I find that it starts to drive me mad at much more than a fortnight ...... and I'd have to wear a snood at work!  ;D

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2016, 00:21:40 »

Removing the signs of ageing in the process  ::)

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2016, 00:58:03 »

You should trim your eyelashes while your at it Mr Skrunts!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2016, 05:14:59 »

What about a Brazilian.  ;D well it is Olympics' week. :D,  Or a hipster.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2016, 05:21:39 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2016, 08:26:02 »

Personally a big fan of a traditional Double edge razor....

Ask your self this....
How many blades do you need for a good shave.....
A.  one GOOD one.

Ive used em for years, think they are better than the disposable cartridge razors, and saves a fortune!  and no more stretching a blade's lfe as they are so expensive.

Technique and timing also plays a big part, happy to expand on what I use or fav blades and soap etc if interested.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2016, 08:50:10 »

I've just gone the other way, and recently grown a beard, not a full one, a sort of tache and chin.

The razor companies are constantly trying to come up with "next big things" to part us from our cash. Two blades, five blades, swivels, all of them at the same time with a face massage, and all very expensive. Tesco blue pack twin blades disposables. About £1 a pack of 10, just don't re use them too much. Job done.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2016, 08:53:52 »

I went back to standard double-edged blades a couple of years ago because I'm allergic to the marketing wank of the cartridge blades. There's no noticeable difference in the results, each blade lasts for several shaves, and they're so cheap I'm not tempted to keep using one that is worn out.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2016, 08:57:03 »

I use Wilkinson Swords extreme 3 razors, very good and give a nice close shave, I found Gillette used to cut me quite a bit even on first use but I`ve never had a problem with the extreme 3`s, I`ve used them for well over ten years now.

Oh FYI I shave my head with them too, it`s an all over shave apart from the goatee  :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2016, 10:44:38 »

Technique and timing also plays a big part, happy to expand on what I use or fav blades and soap etc if interested.

Yes please, that was another reason for this post but felt a bit awkward asking. :-[

My Father suggested when I started to shave to do the whole beard area, sadly I only shaved the bits that grew hair which was just my chin (which I did every time I felt growth with the 3 head Phillishave he bought for me)  plus the trend was we all grew a 'tache' and because it was never shaved has allways remained weak compaired to my chin but at at least has'nt gone grey yet. ::)

In my 20's when I started shaving with razors I liked the single blade (twist to lock blade) razor and in all fairness I preffered to the twin blade razor at the time. :y

I had a battle with the twin blade razor, tried all ways and directions of shaving but they were costing a fortune, took a long time to realise I was shaving wrong.  But the bigger problem . . . . . . . the other half . . . .shaving her legs with my razor and clogging it up  :-X :-X :-X

After 24 years of beard experiments, shapes, lengths and the pending hot weather (that they got wrong) then the beard was going.  To be fair, it was removed without with a Bic/Tesco blue double edge razor.

To my surprize I have shaved everyday since but thinking the beard might reappear  for winter. 8)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2016, 17:28:39 »

Not a problem, Theres many sites, with much, often conflicting, or perfectionists results which can make the whole task too much of a chore...
Ive digested a lot, and settled on an easy, but effective routine which is probably easy for anyone to adopt with a few changes to their normal routine.

1st, and probably most importantly, the time of day you shave....I always used to jump out of bed, shave, shower, dress, breakfast...Shaving the minute you get up is not good, stubble needs to raise and wake too.
So, get up, breakfast, shower 1st, then shave, your stubble will be more ready, sticking out more with pores open after a shower....

2nd, ditch the shaving gloop from a can.  Use a decent shaving soap with a brush, makes quite a difference.  I like quite a stiff bristled brush and soap,   Splash my face a few times with hot water, make a lather (I do this in the soap pot, nothing separate), and apply.

3rd, Shave, I start going top of cheeks down to neck line, smooth single passes.  I then re-lather (always enough left on the brush) I then go ear to nose direction across cheeks, then neck to chin upwards, then any attention to missed, or harder areas such as chin itself, mouth corners.  Mustache area just gets 2 downward passes.

4th, Splash face a few times with cold water and pat dry, I then use a bit of nivea post shave balm.

Thats it, If I wanted I could do a 3rd different direction pass...If I did this it would be so smooth I wouldnt need to / couldnt shave the next day, but done often would leave your face sore.

I swap between 2 brands of blades, a pack at a time.  If I always used the best one which is the sharpest, my face would soon end up a mess so give it a sort of rest by alternating to my 2nd favourite.

Hope that makes sense, simple but i find it effective.

If your interested I use the following,
Razor : http://www.shaving-shack.com/merkur-38c.html

Blades : http://www.shaving-shack.com/10-feather-hi-stainless-double-edged-razor-blades.html
or : http://www.shaving-shack.com/astra_platinum-double-edged-razor-blades.html
But if your starting down this route, you can buy large assorted packs so you can see what suits YOU the best

Soap : http://www.shaving-shack.com/mitchells-wool-fat-shaving-soap-refill-120g.html

Brush : http://www.shaving-shack.com/progress-vulfix-2235-super-badger-shaving-brush-cream.html

Plenty of other shops about, and loads of choice....but that lot works well for me.

« Last Edit: 17 August 2016, 17:31:03 by Jimbob »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2016, 21:23:05 »

There's only one decent razor on the market. Gillette Mach 3. The original one

Beautiful smooth close shave. With zero cuts every time.

Hth
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2016, 22:07:42 »

I recently bought a beard trimmer so go round with designer stubble (No. 2) these days and only shave for weddings, funerals and court appearances.  :y

On these occasions I use Lidl's Shark razors which are cheap enough and I have found them to be very good!  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2016, 23:01:10 »

Philishave. Rubbish, but all I can be arsed with 30 seconds after crawling out of my pit in the morning. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2016, 23:16:51 »

Not a problem, Theres many sites, with much, often conflicting, or perfectionists results which can make the whole task too much of a chore...
Ive digested a lot, and settled on an easy, but effective routine which is probably easy for anyone to adopt with a few changes to their normal routine.

1st, and probably most importantly . . . . . . . . etc

Absolutely right. Routine etc is important. The big norm of cours is S-S-S   shyte-shower-shave in that order, important

However if you work-lifestyle permits, I would say

Breakfast-coffee-S-S-S as the first two assist in the first S   :y

I would say that since I've gone beardy, I use an electric for my morning trim. I've always found electrics to be crap. So I went laong to Boots so see what they had. I bought a cheapo Remmington for about £18. In the past I would have found this very unacceptable as I always wanted a baby smooth shave, but being partially beardy anyway, this has been great, AND saves a whopping 10p per razor I was spending on disposables ! Excuse me while I crack open the Champagne with the savings  :y NOTE: If I really want to feel and look good-ish I still use the Tesco disposable on the bits of face without beard or tache.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2016, 09:17:08 »

If you want a nice smooth, face just do what the girlies do, when they go hedge/boosh/ gardening, cover it with immac(other creams are available). ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2016, 09:24:01 »

Used to use Mach 3, when they were the 'coolest/newest one on the block, and shaved once a week. Now have one of them 'beard trimmers' I got bought a few Xmases ago. Without any of the 'guides' I whip off the face foliage once a week, leaving it with a day or two's effective growth. A few months back a friend of mine donated me a double edged razor, very nice chrome affair, which he'd been bought as a Birthday present surplus to requirements. Have to say it's a joy to use, feels very 'proper' and of course guaranteed a very close shave.

If you don't concentrate you'll cut yourself, so unsuitable for rushing to work-style shave, which is where a modern mach3/quattro/whatever will come in, but take your time after a relaxing bath of an evening before Whisky and bed, and I find it very pleasant  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2016, 14:42:14 »

I decided to grow it out back in .. March, maybe? Now I just attack the sides with clippers from time to time, whenever I shave my chrome dome.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2016, 15:10:21 »

I decided to grow it out back in .. March, maybe? Now I just attack the sides with clippers from time to time, whenever I shave my chrome dome.

Ok, looks like it's "photo of my beard" time. You win  ;D    ;D  Actually, that's quite a "metal" beard  :y

Here's mine, recently trimmed

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2016, 15:26:38 »

The only problem is.. if I drive along with the roof and windows down in the BMW .. I end up eating my own beard ;D ;D

The shaving tips are interesting though as I've always fancied trying a "proper" shave.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2016, 18:42:09 »

I went for a haircut once in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and the barber offered to shave me as well, which I nervously agreed too.  ::)  It was excellent and I got the full treatment, hot towels the lot and I think it cost about 50p!  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2016, 18:49:24 »

There's only one decent razor on the market. Gillette Mach 3. The original one

Beautiful smooth close shave. With zero cuts every time.

Hth

I used to look like Freddy Krueger had been at me with those, never been near a Gillette razor since.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2016, 19:33:32 »

I went for a haircut once in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and the barber offered to shave me as well, which I nervously agreed too.  ::)  It was excellent and I got the full treatment, hot towels the lot and I think it cost about 50p!  :y

Isn't that an boko_haram place now.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2016, 22:42:53 »

No, Boko Haram operate in and around Nigeria.  Al Shabaab are the current nutters in East Africa, operating out of Somalia and have committed atrocities such as the Nairobi shopping mall massacre and the 2010 World Cup Final bombings in Kampala.  Al Qaeda bombed the US Embassy in Dar es Salaam in 1998.  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 August 2016, 08:31:44 »

No, Boko Haram operate in and around Nigeria.  Al Shabaab are the current nutters in East Africa, operating out of Somalia and have committed atrocities such as the Nairobi shopping mall massacre and the 2010 World Cup Final bombings in Kampala.  Al Qaeda bombed the US Embassy in Dar es Salaam in 1998.  :(

That's why it's a cheap holiday resort. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2016, 11:20:06 »

Decent quality 2 blade razor for me

These 3 blade ones get clogged up too easy for me

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2016, 22:11:26 »

Decent quality 2 blade razor for me

These 3 blade ones get clogged up too easy for me

Agree. ever tried shavin with the wrong hand  ???
For me it`s bloomin difficult. I can shave the left side of my face but not the right  ::)
Weird, anyway I`ve over- powered my right hand & pulled all the ligaments & such like.
Went into work last monday, with a 2 day growth on one side of my face :D
None of the blokes seemed notice or care, first female I bump into is like WTF dude.

hoj

• Intermediate Member
  • BURY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2016, 21:26:51 »

My beard/hair grows quick sadly not on my head though
Tried 30 or 40 different razors over the years
The best one I have found and one I have been using now for around 8 years
ASDAs own women's protect
3.2 Elite in Oyster

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 August 2016, 22:25:41 »

My beard/hair grows quick sadly not on my head though
Tried 30 or 40 different razors over the years
The best one I have found and one I have been using now for around 8 years
ASDAs own women's protect

Yes, but I think that this is mostly about shaving the face, not . . . . .  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 22 August 2016, 22:33:39 »

I've never been able to grow a beard  :(  I have a one inch gap between where my sideburn stops and my facial hair starts. Smooth as a babies bum in just that one bit.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.