Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Question - how do you tax a car?!?  (Read 2878 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Stupid Question - how do you tax a car?!?
« on: 19 August 2016, 14:33:39 »

I know it sounds ridiculous, mate's buying a car. His mate has 'untaxed' it last night. He's left the green slip at home, the silly sod, but not a worry - tax it online. Put in the numbers, and.... 'this vehicle is already taxed' well...no, it isn't, that's the old tax which they've not updated their system yet.  >:( I'm assuming Mr Plod's database will be a bit more up to date than Swansea's website should he then go driving about the town tonight in 'his' new car. What's he meant to do? They've shaken hands, exchanged money, the logbook is sent off, he's rung his insurers, all's fine, but he's at work until after the Post Office is closed at 5pm. We've a building full of computers which he could 'simply' tax his vehicle via...except DVLA's not playing ball.

There's a second element, which is the car's on a personal plate, so his mate is 'sorting that' returning it to its original reg, we beleive. How does that affect thinks, given the car's current reg will be going very soon?

Wondered if anyone's been in the same silly limbo situation?  ???
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question - how do you tax a car?!?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 14:45:49 »

Not quite the same. Recently bought a Volvo and the guy SORNed it when I went to pick it up. Couldn't tax it online, even called them and they were really helpful. But, ended up doing the old fashioned thing and trotting along to the post office.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 15:33:54 »

I know it sounds ridiculous, mate's buying a car. His mate has 'untaxed' it last night. He's left the green slip at home, the silly sod, but not a worry - tax it online. Put in the numbers, and.... 'this vehicle is already taxed' well...no, it isn't, that's the old tax which they've not updated their system yet.  >:( I'm assuming Mr Plod's database will be a bit more up to date than Swansea's website should he then go driving about the town tonight in 'his' new car. What's he meant to do? They've shaken hands, exchanged money, the logbook is sent off, he's rung his insurers, all's fine, but he's at work until after the Post Office is closed at 5pm. We've a building full of computers which he could 'simply' tax his vehicle via...except DVLA's not playing ball.

There's a second element, which is the car's on a personal plate, so his mate is 'sorting that' returning it to its original reg, we beleive. How does that affect thinks, given the car's current reg will be going very soon?

When something works why change it?

Tax could be passed on to the new owner saving all this 'pissing about'. It used to work so why change it?

Much the same applies with the tax disc, a small circular piece of paper that instantly let you know when your tax was due. Why change it?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2016, 15:42:02 »

... It used to work so why change it? ....

because they get two months tax for the same month when it's sold

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2016, 15:43:35 »

And they could get rid of staff  😞😞

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2016, 15:47:11 »

Those two above replies  >:(

Tell me about it, if he really, really wanted, he could have taken the tax off, but clearly just being able to sell a car with the tax still on is a vastly better system that the 'new improved' one
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2016, 16:27:46 »

You cant officially Untax a car half way through a month, so assume you mean He's Sorn'ed it, which will kick in at the end of the month (not sure if you can back date a Sorn for the same month anymore), the only other way Tax gets cancelled is by selling the Car, Export, or Scrap it, or the non official way by not paying or cancelling your DDM if paying monthly.

When you Tax it on the Green Slip (different Doc Ref No.) it primes the system as 'Taxed by New Keeper' so it will let you Tax the car at any time 247 but you will pay for the whole month even though your entitlement is from the Date you Taxed it.

If the New Keeper tries to Tax the car on the Original V5 Doc Ref No, the system will let you tax it, if the car is currently Sorn or UnTaxed, but not if the car is already taxed, obviously, however that tax (which now belongs to the Original Keeper) will still get cancelled when the V5 Change of Keeper paperwork hits the system.

As you say, changes on Tax, even Online can take 3 to 5 Days to update, normally its done after 5pm the following Day, so can take a few Days to get the true story of whats going on.

Plods System is'nt any more accurate than DVLA's, its just a copy of the Data Base, as far as Plod' ANPR is concerned, its either Taxed or Untaxed.

Under the new Tax rules, the only way your friend can drive a new'y purchased car that may or may not be showing as taxed is if he has bought tax and has a Payment Ref No.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2016, 17:05:40 »

If the car is still being used, by its owner and your mate is going to collect it, it won't ping until it's notified to Swansea, takes 10 days by post or 48hrs online.
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2016, 11:20:43 »

He's been apparently driving around all weekend. No idea what he's actually done about the tax, but, well... not my responsibility, I've tried!  :y

Thanks all. But it does raise an interesting question for all of us buying a new car... you try and be legal, but it does appear that they've made it rather difficult to be so.  :-\

Thanks again.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2016, 17:09:15 »

He's been apparently driving around all weekend. No idea what he's actually done about the tax, but, well... not my responsibility, I've tried!  :y

Thanks all. But it does raise an interesting question for all of us buying a new car... you try and be legal, but it does appear that they've made it rather difficult to be so.  :-\

Thanks again.

Not really, you just tax it when you get home and the previous keeper gets a rebate if they`ve paid up front.

When I got the Nissan I just set up a direct debit when I got home and Neil got an e-mail to confirm the change of taxation, couldn`t be easier.

If the vehicle was sorn`d then it would be a different matter if it didn`t have a current MOT.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2016, 18:27:28 »

When I bought the Beemer last month I taxed it from my phone by setting up a direct debit.  The seller hadn't cancelled his tax yet, but there were no problems and I had an email in minutes confirming the vehicle was taxed.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2016, 19:42:29 »

Quote from: Sir Tigger link=topic :o=136931.msg1757097#msg1757097 date=1471886848
When I bought the Beemer last month I taxed it from my phone by setting up a direct debit.  The seller hadn't cancelled his tax yet, but there were no problems and I had an email in minutes confirming the vehicle was taxed.  :y

Your honest, no matter what some on here say about you  8)
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2016, 22:17:50 »

Quote from: Sir Tigger link=topic :o=136931.msg1757097#msg1757097 date=1471886848

Had I bought it at the end of the month.....  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2016, 08:40:06 »

:-X

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2016, 08:59:49 »

Well this was probably the answer my mate sought, then  :y as said, tried to do it online, but it claimed it was already taxed, and wouldn't allow anyone else to tax it. So a phone call would have done it. Good to know, ta all.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.