Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP my omega..  (Read 18487 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: RIP my omega..
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2012, 10:56:43 »

You need more pressure than blowing through it I would have thought Albs.
If you have fresh oil it does sound although the one on the car is leaking. Have you got anyone near you that repairs radiator? They usually pressure test them perhaps be able to test the one you had with the car. If its a car you plan on keeping a new one maybe the way forward, at least you know you wont be changing it again.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2012, 11:06:14 »

I would say use some old oil cooler pipes to make up an adaptor so you can pressurise it with a compressor / foot pump, then drop it in a bucket of water and pump it up. See if you get any bubbles.

Oil system could well see 5 BAR of pressure when the oil is cold, so you need to test it under similar pressure to be sure.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2012, 11:07:08 »

Look at it this way Albs... All of the work you are doing now will save you some time further down the line when if you eventually break it!!  ;D :D :-X
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2012, 11:47:07 »

Took the rad,hbv,all the hoses etc off today - and finished removing the stat.When I looked in the header tank there was fresh looking oil in there.Black rather than mayo.Now Im wondering if there is a bit more to this than meets the eye?
Poirot hat on - cooler was apparently supplied by whoever fixed the car,no reciept for the cooler at the moment as it wasnt given to 999gsi when the car was returned to him. He was told that the old cooler was tested and found to be in good condition.Which is where the head gasket theory came in.
I got the "old cooler" with the car. I have tried testing it by blocking one end while blowing hard into the other end while it was immersed in water. I have no idea if this would be sufficient to show a leak or not ?
One possible explanation for all this would be if the mechanic sourced a second hand cooler,and then got them mixed up and put the old leaking cooler back in the car. Then realising this after starting the car had the choice of ripping everything back out and starting again,or coming up with a plausible story.........i.e. head gasket.
I may be completely wide off the mark,but to me,something doesnt add up. Time will tell. :-\
Do I try to find a definitive method of testing the "old" cooler or just take the "new" cooler out and have a look for clues ?
Not sure at the moment - will decide when I get a chance to get back under the bonnet,possibly on Friday.

Incompitent mechanic, cant say we see the results of to many of them on here!  ;D ;D ;D

For me, fitting a second hand oil cooler is always a bad move anyway as the costs saving compared to the labour cost is not worth while. Plus, when fitting without removing the heads that some times the thread securing the cooler to the plate on the rear connection often strips when the fine threaded nut is removed.

I have also preached many times the reality that its pretty much impossible to get oil into a cooling system via a head gasket failure.

Generaly, if the oil cooler is failed then it can be tested with an airline quite easily although most will show issues just using some breath (be aware though that you cant create many psi with your lungs!).

albitz

« Reply #34 on: 19 January 2012, 17:29:45 »

Look at it this way Albs... All of the work you are doing now will save you some time further down the line when if you eventually break it!!  ;D :D :-X

You can break off an all. :P ;D..............IM NOT breaking it. :P

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2012, 17:32:16 »

If you did, there`s no-one to sell the parts to :-X ::)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

albitz

« Reply #36 on: 19 January 2012, 17:35:06 »

I think I may as well whip the oil cooler out which is currently fitted and rig something up to test it (as well as the one which came with the car which is allegedly the old one) It might satisfy my curiosity and also prevent the possibility of putting it all back together only to find it has a leaky cooler in there.The plenum and manifold are already off so Im halfway there anyay.
Might get myself a compression tester also,as the mechanic also said there was very little compression on one bank,which confirmed the gasket diagnosis.

albitz

« Reply #37 on: 19 January 2012, 17:36:07 »

If you did, there`s no-one to sell the parts to :-X ::)

So it would seem,at the moment. Maybe peeps arent planning on working on their cars until the sun shows its face again ?  :-\

albitz

« Reply #38 on: 22 January 2012, 11:52:14 »

Another small update.
Yesterday I flushed the matrix and removed the oil cooler.It was obvious that it was brand new,so while that blows my slightly paranoid theory about a used, leaking cooler,it was a relief to see that it was new.I then did lots of flushing of the area where the cooler and stat came from - loads of oil floating around in there. Cleaned up the mating surfaces (mostly removing blue sealant).
Glad I removed the cooler now,as it not only gives peace of mind,it also revealed the proper black sealant wasnt used,so I can do the job properly when I put it all back together.
Brought the old and new coolers to work this morning. Mechanic who did the job said that the old cooler had been tested and found to be free from leaks. I tested it half an hour ago with an airline and it was blowing bubbles like some one farting in the bath. ::)
Tested the new cooler as well (thought I might as well) and it was fine.Got to get dowty washers etc. and then start putting it all back together.Working most of the next seven days,so progress will probably be slow this week.

P.S. Am I correct in thinking that VX will only supply V6 stat complete with housing ?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 January 2012, 12:07:10 »

Another small update.
Yesterday I flushed the matrix and removed the oil cooler.It was obvious that it was brand new,so while that blows my slightly paranoid theory about a used, leaking cooler,it was a relief to see that it was new.I then did lots of flushing of the area where the cooler and stat came from - loads of oil floating around in there. Cleaned up the mating surfaces (mostly removing blue sealant).
Glad I removed the cooler now,as it not only gives peace of mind,it also revealed the proper black sealant wasnt used,so I can do the job properly when I put it all back together.
Brought the old and new coolers to work this morning. Mechanic who did the job said that the old cooler had been tested and found to be free from leaks. I tested it half an hour ago with an airline and it was blowing bubbles like some one farting in the bath. ::)
Tested the new cooler as well (thought I might as well) and it was fine.Got to get dowty washers etc. and then start putting it all back together.Working most of the next seven days,so progress will probably be slow this week.

P.S. Am I correct in thinking that VX will only supply V6 stat complete with housing ?
Why not pick one up from a factors ???
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 January 2012, 12:18:52 »

Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 January 2012, 12:25:59 »

Cooler sealant should be grey. ;)

Possible it was a faulty new cooler? Worth a test for leaks while it's out anyway?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #42 on: 22 January 2012, 12:30:02 »

Excellent Pete,thanks.will order one of those. :y
My mistake Kevin.I have both grey and black in the shed,so will make sure I use the correct one.Thanks. :y
(the one in the sealant type dispenser, a smaller version of the type normally applied using a caulking gun, rather than the normal tube,yes ?)

I tested the old cooler (the one the mechanic said wasnt leaking) and it definitely leaks.I then tested the new cooler and it doesnt leak. :y
« Last Edit: 22 January 2012, 12:40:34 by Albs »

albitz

« Reply #43 on: 22 January 2012, 13:03:22 »

Another small update.

Why not pick one up from a factors ???
I wasnt sure if I could rob tbh. Ive got somehwat confused by the whole stat issue,whether or not I can get one without a housing for a reasonable price. My nearest factors is Eurocraparts and I have just had a look at their website.Their one without housing is almost as expensive than the ebay one with housing, so I might just go for the ebay one. :y
« Last Edit: 22 January 2012, 13:07:45 by Albs »

albitz

« Reply #44 on: 22 January 2012, 13:33:16 »

I would add,if everyone is finding this continuing saga a bit tedious please say. Imo its the type of thread I can remember reading when I first joined and dont seem to see so much of it these days,so thought it might be of interest, particularily for newer members ?  :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.