Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Estate rear glass  (Read 3416 times)

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
Estate rear glass
« on: 09 November 2012, 00:11:43 »

Hi all,
Just putting the feelers out to see if anyone has a tailgate glass or know of anyone breaking an estate ????

05omegav6

Re: Estate rear glass
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2012, 13:30:38 »

What you done? Have a genuine un used VX one here, but really don't fancy posting it :-\ Will just go and check that it's still intact, as it's buried in the garage ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2012, 14:57:28 »

Appears intact, but can't be certain from 8 feet away ::) it's shrinkwrapped with foam edging all the way round it. Certainly I've been careful not to drop anything on it :y

Does your insurance have glass cover :-\

waspy

« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2012, 17:59:36 »

I have one that you're welcome to have FOC. Welcome to collect :) It's currently stuck to the tail gate. What's the best way to remove one?

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2012, 18:38:00 »

I have one that you're welcome to have FOC. Welcome to collect :) It's currently stuck to the tail gate. What's the best way to remove one?
Carefully ::)

Stanley blade around the glass from the inside, be sure to cut through to the metal though :y
alternative would be to remove all the window trim and cut away the metal around the glass, this gives better access to the mastic that needs completely cutting through to liberate the glass :y

Don't be tempted to get 95%of the way round and try to force it. Only result from that is glass everywhere :'( Took some explaining at the scrappy last time I tried it ::)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2012, 18:46:52 »

Piece of pi$$... 2 minutes with a Kent tool...  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2012, 19:49:22 »

Thats very kind of you mate :y.  Not sure how you remove one to be honest the last time i had a screen from a breakers they used a tool that was a wire with blocks and it took awhile.  Can i ask what colour the tailgate is mate????

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2012, 19:53:03 »

What you done? Have a genuine un used VX one here, but really don't fancy posting it :-\ Will just go and check that it's still intact, as it's buried in the garage ::)

I have done some grinding at the back of the car when i was puuting an irmscher rear bumper on and i have got grinded bits stuck in the glass and i wanted to tint the glass but it will look crap and i'm gutted i have done this so now its just bugging the crap out of me lol.  I must admit i never gave any thought to the bits flying all over the place....Oh yes cause i'm a dumb ass  ;D ;D ;D.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2012, 20:24:42 »

;D mine still has bits of welding shrapnel all over it from when the roof was plated. ::)

When it got rear ended the first time, I had to put a new tailgate on it and I bought the new window just in case, but the chap who repaired it managed to get it out in one piece 8)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2012, 22:28:57 »

Hi all,
Just putting the feelers out to see if anyone has a tailgate glass or know of anyone breaking an estate ????

Have you tried Pimhole?  :-\ Autosave & Bury Salvage are the best bets  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2012, 22:57:47 »

pay the excess on the insurance and get a new one. when they ask say it broke when you shut the tailgate,wait for the fitter to arrive,if he gets funny about it not being broke, just wack it with a hammer,and say it is now... :y
Hoof'land storeman.

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2012, 23:40:03 »

Hi all,

Have you tried Pimhole?  :-\ Autosave & Bury Salvage are the best bets  :y
Hi Andy,
I have not try'ed the breakers to be honest to due the fact you never see estate's in any of them....Well i have'nt anyway but mite be worth a look maybe.  Thanks Andy hope your well are you going to the meet in chester Sunday ???

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2012, 23:41:18 »

pay the excess on the insurance and get a new one. when they ask say it broke when you shut the tailgate,wait for the fitter to arrive,if he gets funny about it not being broke, just wack it with a hammer,and say it is now... :y

I would do that but i had to get a new windscreen in sept due to a crack from a stone on the motorway so it looks abit to funny if i had to claim again.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2012, 06:55:09 »

.......... Thanks Andy hope your well are you going to the meet in chester Sunday ???

Doing OK thanks.
Unfortunately I'm working so won't be there  :(

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2012, 07:14:41 »

I would do that but i had to get a new windscreen in sept due to a crack from a stone on the motorway so it looks abit to funny if i had to claim again.
Why :-\ stuff happens... one of the minibuses at work had two screens in as many weeks ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.