Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Excel gone bozwonk!  (Read 4506 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Excel gone bozwonk!
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2019, 19:26:05 »

Not at all: he is an excellent, dedicated doctor who is doing his best to keep me alive despite my various healh issues and a projected remaining lifespan of two years, so please do not insult him - or me!
I know that you have a reputation to keep up, but only where appropriate, please. :-*

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 July 2019, 20:26:59 »

Good grief Ron 2yrs? :o :o We could do with you being around a lot longer than that  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2019, 20:34:38 »

keep me alive despite my various healh issues and a projected remaining lifespan of two years
Bloody hell :o   :'(  :'(

Fingers crossed that's a pessimistic estimate.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2019, 20:54:39 »

Not at all: he is an excellent, dedicated doctor who is doing his best to keep me alive despite my various healh issues and a projected remaining lifespan of two years, so please do not insult him - or me!
I know that you have a reputation to keep up, but only where appropriate, please. :-*

Ron.

Methinks what TB actually means is that a "Table" in a word document is a "more correct" method of recording tabulated data than simply entering data in a spread sheet, the design of which is to do a great deal more than simply tabulate data .... however,  a great many folks have realised that using a spread sheet for tabulating data is a very easy way to do it.....  just because a spread sheet can do amazing things doesn't mean you have to do them all the time .... just like the fact a car can do 130mph doesn't mean that's the only speed it is allowed to do ... unless TB is driving it !!!!   :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2019, 09:15:17 »

Good grief Ron 2yrs? :o :o We could do with you being around a lot longer than that  :y

Agreed!! :y :y  That is shocking news!! :o :o :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2019, 17:30:52 »

Ron.

Methinks what TB actually means is that a "Table" in a word document is a "more correct" method of recording tabulated data than simply entering data in a spread sheet, the design of which is to do a great deal more than simply tabulate data .... however,  a great many folks have realised that using a spread sheet for tabulating data is a very easy way to do it.....  just because a spread sheet can do amazing things doesn't mean you have to do them all the time .... just like the fact a car can do 130mph doesn't mean that's the only speed it is allowed to do ... unless TB is driving it !!!!   :)
I work with carrot crunchers who seem to think its perfectly OK to give me complex platform designs on a single sheet Excel doc, or in a Powerpoint doc.  And because the tools don't fit, esp Excel, they add comments to cells which then get lost in the mists of cut&paste into a bigger spreadsheet.  Then they wonder why I tell them to use the right tools, because I'm already sick of rebuilding this poxy platform for the 3rd time, because I only had half the correct info given.

Fortunately, its only hundreds of servers, not thousands. But its still wasted time and effort, both in the real work, plus all the prep for the bollickings for why its running massively late...  ...not that it needs much prep, as I just turn up with one of the pointless fluffy cloud waste of space powerpoint "designs" and use that as my defence.

So, yes, I do believe in using the right tool for the job.  And Excel's job is complex calculations.  And thus, I conclude that 99% of people using Excel are using the wrong tool.

I'll cut the OP some slack, as he wanted to use that to draw pretty graphs so his quack could look at them rather than the raw data.  But nobody else.

Now my blood pressure is bozwonk.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2019, 17:35:08 »

I need to monitor and record my blood pressure daily and use Excel to do so, but as of yesterday I am unable to enter new data in the cells: no response at all!
I tried refreshing and even making a new spreadsheet, but the son of a bachelor stubbornly refuses to co-operate. Any ideas gents?

Ron.

At the risk of steering a thread back on topic, and as one of the forum's resident office wnackers  ;) try this....

Restart the computer and open your latest month's spreadsheet. once excel is open, press F1 to bring up the Excel help. In the resulting search box type "protect" (without the quotes) and click search. This should give you a number of results, in particular look for two things "Protect or Unprotect a workbook" and "Lock or unlock specific areas of a protected workbook". Follow the instructions in both of these articles and report back  :y.

As was said before, I think whats happened is that either your entire workbook is protected, or some cells within it are. Alternatively, if you are still stuck, I can pm you my email address and if you send me a blank copy of the sheet (you mentioned you have several copies)  then I'll gladly try and unlock it for you.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2019, 17:48:40 »

I need to monitor and record my blood pressure daily and use Excel to do so, but as of yesterday I am unable to enter new data in the cells: no response at all!
I tried refreshing and even making a new spreadsheet, but the son of a bachelor stubbornly refuses to co-operate. Any ideas gents?

Ron.

At the risk of steering a thread back on topic, and as one of the forum's resident office wnackers  ;) try this....

Restart the computer and open your latest month's spreadsheet. once excel is open, press F1 to bring up the Excel help. In the resulting search box type "protect" (without the quotes) and click search. This should give you a number of results, in particular look for two things "Protect or Unprotect a workbook" and "Lock or unlock specific areas of a protected workbook". Follow the instructions in both of these articles and report back  :y.

As was said before, I think whats happened is that either your entire workbook is protected, or some cells within it are. Alternatively, if you are still stuck, I can pm you my email address and if you send me a blank copy of the sheet (you mentioned you have several copies)  then I'll gladly try and unlock it for you.
I think the OP confrmed he had resolved it, and it was hinted it was protected :y

Hence I carried on with my Excel (and Powerpoint) rant about idiots near Lazydocker land that you can't believe, in 100m sperm, that one was the fastest.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2019, 17:50:08 »

Confession time, Jimmy. As already surmised elsewhere, it was "pilot error" - I had unpressed the number lock button for the numeric keypad and hence no data could be entered! :-[ :-[ :-[
Thanks for your kind offer though; sanity is now restored.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2019, 17:50:42 »

Ron.

Useful advice, Jimmy, if Ron hadn't sorted it the day before yesterday.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2019, 17:58:56 »

Confession time, Jimmy. As already surmised elsewhere, it was "pilot error" - I had unpressed the number lock button for the numeric keypad and hence no data could be entered! :-[ :-[ :-[
Thanks for your kind offer though; sanity is now restored.

Ron.
We've all locked our passwords out doing similar Ron ;D.

In fact, its one of the wags in the office, see when a PC is locked, and change the NUMLOCK state. Along with double sided tape on bottom of mug, and Sellotape in the phone earpiece.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2019, 22:23:22 »

Clingfilm across the bog seat?  ;D

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2019, 13:42:30 »

Clingfilm across the bog seat?  ;D

Ron.

We trained one of my classmates who thought he was a practical joker not to do that again.
Four of us walked down the school drive to where his Mini was parked between two trees. We  dragged it out, turned it through 90degrees and lifted it back into the space so that there was about 100mm between each bumper and the trees.

Then we went home 8)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2019, 14:45:46 »

Nice one Nick - that'll larn 'im!  :y 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2019, 17:31:47 »

And back on the rants about Excel...

...some knobjockey sent me a detailed step by step plan of migrating some services between some servers.  In bloody Excel.

So I deleted it, and ignored him.  I shall do it quickly and properly, and in less time (planning, documenting and implementing) than its taken him to get it into Excel.

Grrrr….
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.