Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: exhaust tips  (Read 2663 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
exhaust tips
« on: 03 February 2016, 14:55:16 »

Iam trying to fit a set of tips to my 2 pipe outlet back box. but the pipes are two close together. Could i heat these up with a plumbers torch and try and separate them or will it damage the pipes. ideas please

STEMO

Re: exhaust tips
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2016, 15:01:30 »

Just get a big, fat tip.......ooooooer.......the oval shaped ones, and incorporate both pipes.

Vrooooooooommmm.......you go really fast with that on. ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2016, 15:13:50 »

Thing is, if you try and move them apart they'll move in a 'V' not parallel, like you'd want them to. I suppose over such a short distance you're not going to notice that much, being so low down, too. You might have to take some off the length of the aftermarket tailpipes you've got, to help you out.  :-\

I've got two chrome tips on my backbox no real issue, though they do touch and probably rub a bit, too.

If you don't want to go messing with your backbox then the next option is to chop/shave a thin sliver off the inside edge of both extra tailpipes.

I'm surprised they don't go on, though, I mean they can't be more than 1-2mm thick metal, and if they're touching and still won't go on that suggests there's less than 2-4mm gap between the existing backbox tailpipes, which is very very tight and unusual...  :(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2016, 15:29:18 »

Exhaust pipe out of the box are not straight. They nearly touch at the ends. Thats why iam having so much grief

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2016, 15:43:06 »

Well, one of those 'try it but if it goes wrong then don't blame me' moments...  ;)

You could try banging a wedge in between the pipes, to slowly tease them apart.

Another thought is to stick a bit of, eg: scaffold inside the each of the pipes. One behind such as a gatepost, the other you sit there slowly swinging on, to pull them apart. Hopefully this should be able to be done in a controlled manner, a half a mm at a time, sort of thing.

Either option of course risks splitting the seam of weld at the base of the tailpipes. I'd imagine/hope the sheet metal will deform enough to move the pipes apart. Again, no promises, never done it before!  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2016, 18:31:09 »

Exhaust pipe out of the box are not straight. They nearly touch at the ends. Thats why iam having so much grief

Seems to be quite common on the ETS boxes. I think the easiest option would be work out how far back the trims go and where the mounting pinches against the pipe and then cut the pipes back to just proud of that area which should buy you a bit more of a gap.

By the way, which trims did you buy?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2016, 18:58:21 »

Could always cut a slot / wedge in the outer side of one of the pipes, bend it and then weld it up.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2016, 19:31:28 »

Seems to be quite common on the ETS boxes. I think the easiest option would be work out how far back the trims go and where the mounting pinches against the pipe and then cut the pipes back to just proud of that area which should buy you a bit more of a gap.

I picked up a couple of stainless ones from ripspeed.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2016, 19:39:27 »

Let me know if they stay rust free!

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2016, 20:50:22 »

Havnt found any yet that dont >:(

will let you know :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2016, 21:11:38 »

Let me know if they stay rust free!

They won't....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2016, 06:04:13 »

You could try a bit of heat and then use a breaker bar in the tail pipe to lever it in the appropriate direction :-\

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2016, 11:42:36 »

Using a breaker bar, you risk distorting the shape of the tailpipe. It needs a piece pipe that is an internal snug fit in the pipe with no free play to ensure they stay round.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2016, 12:09:26 »

Be careful how much force you apply as not only can you distort the pipes, but the seams of the box are only crimped not welded. Which means you can bugger them up  very easily.

Personally I can't see why you would want to draw attention to something as ugly as a pipe sticking out from the bumper by adding an extra trim.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2016, 12:15:51 »

Using a breaker bar, you risk distorting the shape of the tailpipe. It needs a piece pipe that is an internal snug fit in the pipe with no free play to ensure they stay round.

Jack handle could be the right size, perhaps...

As for keeping them rust free - a good polish with Autosol and fine-grade wire wool, followed by a metal sealant (or indeed try Britemax's Metal Twins*, polish and sealant in one kit) - and make sure you dry them as much as possible after washing the car. Will extend the life, but the rust will get them eventually.

*Do not Google this product without the manufacturers name. At least if the other half is watching...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2016, 12:34:20 »

When my ETS system arrived the tailpipes had obviously hit something hard while in transit (I dread to think what the thing they had hit looked like).

The pipes are quite soft mild steel so I tapped them back into shape with no apparent ill effect.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.