Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash cam's  (Read 5150 times)

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
Dash cam's
« on: 03 February 2016, 21:23:29 »

I know this has been done before but due to some of the totally shit driving I have seen lately I think I need to get myself a dash cam any recommendations

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Dash cam's
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2016, 21:27:36 »

I have a B40 A118C with GPS and hardwire in my car.

Discreet and works well in my opinion.

https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2016, 21:58:44 »

keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

ted_one

« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2016, 21:59:34 »

Going to do all mine,as SWMBO got rammed by a tosser in a BMW on Christmas eve,she was stationary 2 car lengths behind him when he slammed his car into reverse and rammed the front of her car. First of all he admitted liability but later retracted his statement by saying that SWMBO had run into the back of him. Dash cam would have proved otherwise >:( Deffo a good idea :y

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2016, 22:03:27 »

That looks nice and small easy to locate

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2016, 22:04:23 »

Anything that isn't hardwired is a waste of money, because you WILL forget to use it. Plus it means lots of extra crap plugged into the cigarette lighter. This also means it needs to be permanently fitted to the screen.

I wanted one that was unobtrusive, both from inside and outside the car. I've had a Mini 0801 fitted behind the rearview mirror for 2.5years now; you can't see it from outside, and when driving the led is only visible in the dark. I could cure that with some tape. This model has been upgraded, but externally it's still about the size of a mini Swiss-roll.

There is no need for a screen on it, as the only time you'll use it is to align the thing when you fit it.  A large SD card isn't required either, as you're only going to be interested in the last few minutes.

I haven't looked at mine in months; it just does its job without any input from me, just like tech should but rarely manages.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2016, 22:16:36 »

That looks nice and small easy to locate

As installed in the old 2.6:-

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2016, 22:23:51 »

Got an old school two camera set up in the plod, complete with VHS ;D

Keep considering summat for tother one...

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2016, 22:44:15 »

Any dash cam by Transcend, At the moment I have fitted to the front/rear Transcend Drive Pro 200 :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2016, 22:59:02 »

I have a NextBase dash cam. I bought a second screen mount and wiring kit because I use two different cars, so I swap just the camera over depending on what car I'm using.  I'm paranoid about using it all the time now.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2016, 09:24:18 »

Must say I'll be getting one  >:( will follow this thread with interest  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2016, 10:04:33 »

Nextbase seems to be popular I have noticed while looking around they vary quite a  bit price wise is there any benefit to buying one at £100 against one at £40   :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2016, 10:42:32 »

Nextbase seems to be popular I have noticed while looking around they vary quite a  bit price wise is there any benefit to buying one at £100 against one at £40   :-\

Mine is the 202 and was just under £80, so not the top spec one but certainly does the job. It's a clear image when played back so I'm happy enough with it. It comes on automatically, records automatically and has a G Sensor to record and save any shock or impact. As most do, it just keeps record looping in small chunks, so you have to do absolutely nothing, just get in and drive away.
As said, I regularly use our two cars so I purchased a second screen mount and wiring so it's just a simple matter of unclipping the camera and putting it in the other car. It takes seconds to do so not a chore.  :y
You can view playback on the camera screen itself, remove the camera and use as a camera to take photo's of an incident so that all the evidence is on the same SD card, or put the SD card in your laptop and view all of the individual files.  :y
Oh, and if you've got a bit of footage that you would rather not be on there, just delete that clip before anyone in authority can see it.  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2016, 13:51:32 »

You can't rely on being able to do that ::) ...

Doing a ton forty on the motorway, say M25, come off, pause at a red light, say the A3 interchange. Light changes and you go, only to be rammed by a Royal Mail Artic running his now red light at 40...

Your camera will be in evidence before you wake up :-X

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2016, 15:21:12 »

Doing a ton forty on the motorway, say M25, come off, pause at a red light, say the A3 interchange. Light changes and you go, only to be rammed by a Royal Mail Artic running his now red light at 40...

I meant bending the mrs over the bonnet type of footage, not the criminal type.   ;D 

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2016, 22:59:11 »

I meant bending the mrs over the bonnet type of footage, not the criminal type.   ;D
Or someone else's mrs ;D ;D ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2016, 11:04:22 »

Must dig mine out and fit it again , hard wired it to come on with ignition  :y
Omegatitis

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2016, 20:00:52 »

Have got a dash cam on my "must have" list.Will have to get someone to hard wire it into car when I get one though.I don't do electrics at all beyond changing fuses/bulbs and other such basic stuff!

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2016, 10:19:51 »

I can after 6 yrs of ownership, the omega abs works well and handles well with the anchors on.

A bit more washing for today will be required and a wipe down of coffee from the passenger side windscreen.

Footage would of been interesting.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2016, 07:23:15 »

Iv got a Nextbase Duo, its very good and a hell of a lot better than the cheap £25 camera Iv had for years. It records in full HD and the playback on PC is as clear as I could want it to be. If I use the software that is supposed to be used, it also shows where Iv been, what speeds, how much G Force was used etc... I also use it for recording my laps of the local Racing Circuit and it even has that on its database too :) so I can keep an eye on my lap times... (or even how many times Im lapped LOL)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Discoja

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2 dti cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2016, 21:43:42 »

Transcend pro drive 200. Halfords online only £89 last time I looked. Decent bit of kit.
Of all the things I've ever lost, my mind I miss the most.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2016, 22:18:51 »

I run a camera in the front & rear, thinking of updating to a higher resolution

This youtube clip is a classic case of crash for cash setup routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIVE0nLX5Y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2016, 22:27:56 »

This could be a long one, sorry.

I started out with one of these a few years ago. It cost me 25 quid. It was great for what it cost, although the picture was grainy and under fast changes of direction, lens flare tended to turn things purple. Also, as time went by, the sound lost sync with the video, I could have probably sorted this, but decided to upgrade.

Roll on to recent months.
Transcend 200. I fitted one of these about 3/4 months ago for the father in law. It tucked nicely behind the mirror (Saab 93) and I rooted the standard cable to a second cig lighter socker (I installed) behind the dash. The mount is an adhesive pad (1 spare provided). Whilst this makes the mount smaller, it also makes it less portable. Up to 32Gb card.

Transcend 220. I bought one of these as my replacement. The sole reason for the 220 over the 200 was the support for 64Gb cards, as a full days motorsport can go over 32Gb. I was less bothered by the GPS. The mount is an adhesive pad (1 spare provided). Whilst this makes the mount smaller, it also makes it less portable. Up to 64Gb card.

Nextbase 402G. At the same time I bought mine, my mate bought this. So we've done side by side comparisons. 32Gb card, GPS. Suction cup mount, so a little bigger but more portable.

Oddballs notes/points....
The Transcend and the Nextbase both use the same type of mount from the fixing to the camera.
The Nextbase has a smaller lighter plug, the Transcend one gets caught in the Omega on gear change (need to hardwire).
The video quality between them (in my eyes) is too close to call. There are slight variations in angle of lens and F point (light needed), but not really enough to wow either way.
The footage I've seen/used was recorded on DP200 (Free 16Gb card that came with camera), DP220 (Sandisk Extreme 64Gb U3 card), Nextbase (Sandisk Extreme 32Gb U3 card).
Remember Youtube footage is encoded, therefore is not a true review of a camera.
One added bonus I found with the DP220 was that whilst both that and the 402G had GPS, the DP220 recorded your speed and GPS into a separate text file (On the SD card) which could be joined together and then overlaid onto Google maps. The 402G didn't do this. Whilst it's a nice toy to replay a journey, I'm not quite sure of the real world uses.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2016, 01:40:48 »

Daughter in law recently got front of Vectra smashed by Stagecoach driver on the wrong side of the road. Got an eye witness for the claim, amazingly when she contacted him for the statement he had given Stage coach his statement and would not give her a statement >:( Now a dash cam would have been invaluable in helping her case and it has made me seriously consider one myself :y To many arses on the tarmac now
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.