Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3031739 times)

05omegav6

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #12015 on: 11 February 2016, 22:09:12 »

Fresh Mot finally obtained... so spent rest of afternoon scrubbing and polishing ::)

Results are in the gallery 8)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: 12 February 2016, 19:56:31 »

Today I have spent getting grazed knuckles and a lot of swearing was had....

I removed the top part of the induction system to get to the cam covers to replace the gaskets as they have started to weep and the engine is stinking of burnt oil.... so the camcovers have new gaskets.... the plug wells was full of vauxhalls finest oil..... but not anymore as they are now empty as the spark plugs was taken out and need replacing anyway.... also started to remove the exhaust headers ready to replace for the 2.6 headers I got from Serek :y went to Vx dealer to get the correct gaskets and new set of studs and nuts... £80..!!! lighter and still have to go back tomorrow to collect them, so I have an Omega that has no induction system and half an exhaust system LOL

Onwards and upwards.....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: 12 February 2016, 20:07:02 »

replacing anyway.... also started to remove the exhaust headers ready to replace for the 2.6 headers I got from Serek :y went to Vx dealer to get the correct gaskets and new set of studs and nuts... £80..!!! lighter and still have to go back tomorrow to collect them, so I have an Omega that has no induction system and half an exhaust system LOL

And I thought spending £26 for the same stuff was expensive, especially considering that the £12.50 head gasket set included stock 3.0l manifiold gaskets!

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: 13 February 2016, 00:15:08 »

Because heater has lost heat once again I have flushed complete system with the holts 2 bottle cleaner as instructed and although water was clean..no sludge...there was some bits of scale in the water....I then again flushed the heater matrix and  reversed flushed it a load of times until the water ran clear...From the matrix I did get quite a bit of white hard scale...now heater works well and is very toasty..so will see how long it lasts for this time.. ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: 13 February 2016, 09:53:53 »

Yesterday... New Heat Reflective screen fitted... £330 lighter but it's been done properly :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: 13 February 2016, 11:25:11 »

replacing anyway.... also started to remove the exhaust headers ready to replace for the 2.6 headers I got from Serek :y went to Vx dealer to get the correct gaskets and new set of studs and nuts... £80..!!! lighter and still have to go back tomorrow to collect them, so I have an Omega that has no induction system and half an exhaust system LOL

And I thought spending £26 for the same stuff was expensive, especially considering that the £12.50 head gasket set included stock 3.0l manifiold gaskets!

Im converting from 2.5 headers to 2.6 headers :y thus the correct gaskets are needed... they're metal yah see not that cardboardy stuff :) plus I bought other gaskets too not just for the headers :iy
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: 13 February 2016, 12:33:59 »

I'm converting from 2.5 headers to 2.6 headers :y thus the correct gaskets are needed... they're metal yah see not that cardboardy stuff :) plus I bought other gaskets too not just for the headers :iy

I did the same, hence not being able to use the new gaskets in my head set. The metal ones were about £11 each(!) delivered and I paid about £4 for all the studs and nuts(including downpipe).
 The manifolds make a small difference, so I would only bother fitting them as part of a bigger job - rotten head gaskets was the actual job I did.

You will need to block the EGR valve; I made a bung to fit in the end, and retained it with the nut cut from the pipe as this was quicker and easier than making a blanking plate. You can also remove the entire SAI system - except for the solenoid - which really tidies up the front of the engine and makes maintenance jobs much easier

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: 13 February 2016, 12:51:24 »

The manifold on the O/S is cracked so thought as Im taking the manifold off Id change to the uprated headers :)

The might make a difference to mine as Iv got a full stainless cat back system fitted, so even if it doesn't make a difference Iv got bragging right LOL

I blanked off the EGR about 12 months ago using the '5p mod' taken from the Vectra B boys :) (VVOC.COM) where you literally blank off the EGR pipe by cutting the pipe, inserting a 5p and then using the nut to clamp down the 5p to the manifold, you do the same to the EGR sensor too... Im thinking of making a cheater circuit to replace the actual EGR valve itself and then making a blanking plate for the intake plenum... if it don't work I'll reinstate the EGR valve and leave it alone...

I'll be removing the pipework for the SAI and disconnecting the pump too, and so-far there is quite a bit of room at the front, I removed the AC pipework a few months ago and I have the shorter drivebelt to remove the actual AC pump itself, so I'll save a bit of weight too (god knows I could do with losing a few pounds)

Should be back together today, as long as everything goes to plan :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: 13 February 2016, 17:30:18 »

The manifolds make a small difference, so I would only bother fitting them as part of a bigger job - rotten head gaskets was the actual job I did.
I agree, not worth doing unless taking heads off etc.  The extra gain is at very high rpm IME - mine pulls better from when the chip cuts to the redline quicker now. Not massive, just noticeable.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: 14 February 2016, 15:45:59 »

Changed oil and filter, greased the brake pipes, rust-converted the surface rust and under sealed those areas with dinitrol on the new un. Got front discs and pads for it but that's a job for another day.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: 14 February 2016, 18:27:49 »

Reconnected and secured the tailgate, refitted the rear crash bar, side skirts and rear quarter mouldings as well as the rear bumper supports in preparation to refit the front and rear bumpers.

Also pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned it over to get some oil around the system and then started it, moved it back and forwards a bit under it's own steam!

Not bad as it's been parked in my lock up for 2 years and 4 months!!

It will be going back on the road soon as a work horse :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: 14 February 2016, 20:29:49 »

Removed 8 locking wheel bolts from 2 cars, ready to throw in the recycling bin. The last time I encountered difficult to remove bolts due to being over tightened, the adaptor broke, and I ended up destroying 3 sockets (suitably ground down to fit) in an attempt to remove.

At least you can stand on the wheel brace when removing (or fitting) proper wheel bolts!  ???
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #12027 on: 15 February 2016, 04:58:37 »

Puncture in the snowy North near Alston on one of my new Dunlops!   >:(

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

baggedestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Gillingham kent
    • 3.2 estate ex police
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: 15 February 2016, 09:04:18 »

I fitted my freshly resprayed tailgate instead of my rusty one that come on the car and removed the inner A piller's to wrap them in diamond stitched leatherette

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: 15 February 2016, 17:24:15 »

At least you can stand on the wheel brace when removing (or fitting) proper wheel bolts!  ???
Not the GM supplied wrenches...  ...twisted my ankle when it broke  >:(
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.