Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: space saver wheels  (Read 7586 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: space saver wheels
« Reply #30 on: 22 November 2019, 18:51:24 »

I know my Omega[on 17" wheels]has a steel spare wheel which[I think] is 16"-size originally fitted to the earlier cars?-which is classed as a space saver in this application.My V70[also a year 2000 car] has what I'd call a proper space saver,I really must check what my '95 960 has although I suspect that's probably a space saver too.

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 22 November 2019, 18:53:07 »

Check? A space saver? Nah. I buy one, put it in it's hole, cover it up with a dog crate and loads of crap and never see it again till I sell the car.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 November 2019, 18:53:49 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

or that there simply isn't room for the massive diameter of modern wheel/tyre combinations. Having a collapsible spare like some Mercs, NSXs etc doesn't help, because there still isn't room for the wheel you removed. Even the original XC90 came with a bag to cover the dirty removed wheel in the boot as it doesn't fit the cradle under the car. XC90s with the factory bodykit and tacky exhausts don't have the cradle.

My R Class had one of those, however the ML just has a (comparatively) skinny spare 

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 22 November 2019, 18:55:14 »

All motor manufacturer's should be compelled, by law, to supply a full size or space saver spare free of charge. It is ridiculous that a 'spare' is seen as an optional extra these days.

I suggest we start by stringing the head of GM and Ford up by their balls, as an example to others. :y

trouble is that some cars no longer have room to store one even you buy one as the space has often been taken up with an Adblue tank

or that there simply isn't room for the massive diameter of modern wheel/tyre combinations. Having a collapsible spare like some Mercs, NSXs etc doesn't help, because there still isn't room for the wheel you removed. Even the original XC90 came with a bag to cover the dirty removed wheel in the boot as it doesn't fit the cradle under the car. XC90s with the factory bodykit and tacky exhausts don't have the cradle.

My R Class had one of those, however the ML just has a (comparatively) skinny spare
And was there any kind of maintenance mentioned in the manual?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2019, 19:10:30 »

Are you suggesting I R T F M  ??? ??? ???
 ;)

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2019, 19:12:35 »

Are you suggesting I Please read the manual  ??? ??? ???
 ;)
No need, mate, a man of your calibre would know this stuff already. I know too, because all my gimp masks split and dried out when I forgot where I hid them.

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2019, 19:14:39 »

Space savers to gimp masks. I'm very proud of this forum.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2019, 19:17:05 »

Space savers to gimp masks. I'm very proud of this forum.  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 November 2019, 11:39:07 »

I wonder what % of RAC/AA call outs are for flat tyres.

so many that RAC patrols now carry a universal spare that you use to drive to the nearest Kwikfit(I know, but the idea is sound) and they collect it later.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 November 2019, 12:38:33 »

Are you suggesting I Please read the manual  ??? ??? ???
 ;)
No need, mate, a man of your calibre would know this stuff already. I know too, because all my gimp masks split and dried out when I forgot where I hid them.

I have a nice pink with horns one I can lend you. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 November 2019, 12:55:51 »

I know my Omega[on 17" wheels]has a steel spare wheel which[I think] is 16"-size originally fitted to the earlier cars?-which is classed as a space saver in this application.My V70[also a year 2000 car] has what I'd call a proper space saver,I really must check what my '95 960 has although I suspect that's probably a space saver too.
My now dead  :'(  CDX Desmond had the standard 16" alloys but the spare, (which, fortunately, never got used) was a 15" steel. :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 November 2019, 14:21:14 »

When we had the 2.6 saloon & the 2.2 estate changed the steel space savers to matching alloys on both of them, my OCD could not cope with having odd wheels..😎
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 November 2019, 16:13:58 »

My now dead  :'(  CDX Desmond had the standard 16" alloys but the spare, (which, fortunately, never got used) was a 15" steel. :y

All Omega had a 15" steel spare from the factory no matter what size alloys were fitted.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 November 2019, 18:08:08 »

I stand corrected then[but it is a long time since I had the wheel cover off] mine will have the 15" steel spare.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 November 2019, 23:41:47 »

update - i have managed to obtain two - one is a full size exact match to my original set, but takes all the space in the boot up. toyed with the idea of making a false floor making it level with the top of the wheel, but lost far too much boot hieght.   the other is a 16" space saver . (on its way still ) .that will do.  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.