Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M1 minibus crash  (Read 3545 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: M1 minibus crash
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2017, 19:49:02 »

In Yorkshire for a few days at the moment, got to say some of the driving I witnessed on the way here left a lot to be desired & that was in daylight hours hate to imagine what goes on in the early hours or under the cover of darkness.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 August 2017, 20:28:14 »

Dreadful but I am not suprised that HGVs are involved and found wanting.  For some reason that stretch is notorious for bad driving by HGVs and I have long suspected that some of the Eastern European drivers are driving while over the limit.

An example which was filmed northbound M1 not far from where the incident took place:

https://youtu.be/qiWituAtodA
Car only reacted after the truck was mostly past...

Not brilliant, but equally, had the car driver been watching their mirrors, which is a sensible thing to be doing when queuing to leave a motorway, then they could have preempted the positioning of the lorry as it approached, thereby limiting the impact of the lorry drivers bullish action... ie moving to the left to avoid a conflict...

It could be suggested that the car driver is half asleep and pissed off because the lorry has prevented them from their intended course of carving a second lane where there is only one...

Two wrongs don't make a right, and let he who is without sin etc, spring to mind :-X

It was me driving.  I was watching my mirrors and saw the lorry in lane 1 but there was no indicator on and its approaching speed suggested that he intended to go straight on.  I thought the white car was going left so I started to move in to the right to take the lane when it became available (i'm not a cock like the hgv driver in this clip).  As he got nearer I saw him moving left so I thought he might be going for the hard shoulder but then realised he was going in tot he lane and nearly took my front bumper off.  The hgv performing that move never even crossed my mind until it happened as I never thought anyone driving a hgv could be so brazen stupid and reckless, hence the delayed reaction.  I guess I was wrong to think so highly of (some) of them.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 August 2017, 20:43:52 »

Having spent 20 years working closely with HGV drivers, the stupidity of some of them ceased to surprise or shock me a long time ago.  ;D
It was quite common for me to get a call from one of them before 5am to inform me that their delivery ticket said they should have 127 concrete beams on the trailer, but my guys had only loaded 124 on there.
I would get myself up to the yard within 15 minutes, count the beams twice, count 127 each time, and then tell them they were a retarded useless f*ckwit who shouldn't be allowed outside their own front door unless accompanied by a responsible adult.
The same driver would think nothing of doing exactly the same thing a fortnight later, and it would never occur to double check and be sure, or apologise when they were wrong.
Typing this has just brought back a lot of bad memories, of when I was a corporate mug.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 August 2017, 21:52:41 »

Dreadful but I am not suprised that HGVs are involved and found wanting.  For some reason that stretch is notorious for bad driving by HGVs and I have long suspected that some of the Eastern European drivers are driving while over the limit.

An example which was filmed northbound M1 not far from where the incident took place:

https://youtu.be/qiWituAtodA
Car only reacted after the truck was mostly past...

Not brilliant, but equally, had the car driver been watching their mirrors, which is a sensible thing to be doing when queuing to leave a motorway, then they could have preempted the positioning of the lorry as it approached, thereby limiting the impact of the lorry drivers bullish action... ie moving to the left to avoid a conflict...

It could be suggested that the car driver is half asleep and pissed off because the lorry has prevented them from their intended course of carving a second lane where there is only one...

Two wrongs don't make a right, and let he who is without sin etc, spring to mind :-X

It was me driving.  I was watching my mirrors and saw the lorry in lane 1 but there was no indicator on and its approaching speed suggested that he intended to go straight on.  I thought the white car was going left so I started to move in to the right to take the lane when it became available (i'm not a cock like the hgv driver in this clip).  As he got nearer I saw him moving left so I thought he might be going for the hard shoulder but then realised he was going in tot he lane and nearly took my front bumper off.  The hgv performing that move never even crossed my mind until it happened as I never thought anyone driving a hgv could be so brazen stupid and reckless, hence the delayed reaction.  I guess I was wrong to think so highly of (some) of them.
My post wasn't intended as a dig, apologies if it reads like it...  merely offering my thoughts on what the video shows... regardless of conditions/speed differential/total lack of consideration on the part of the lorry driver, (it is a pretty shitty manoeuvre on his part), two things stand out on it:

1. The truck is indicating the instant that the cab becomes visible in the frame.
2. You're following the right hand sliproad edge rather than the left line/lane centre, which automatically exposes you to greater risk of being struck by someone, in this case a relatively fast moving truck, shoving their way onto the slip road.

Your surprise, and anger, at the situation is perfectly normal. In your own words, "The hgv performing that move never even crossed my mind until it happened as I never thought anyone driving a hgv could be so brazen stupid and reckless, hence the delayed reaction.  I guess I was wrong..."

Expect the unexpected and plan accordingly. Even professional/highly trained people make stupid decisions without thought, just be thankful that it wasn't worse and learn from it ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 August 2017, 08:28:58 »

I've given up, at the amount of times car drivers have at the last minute they want that exit and gone across 3 lanes, causing, vehicles to brake, or coming down slip roads and pulling straight out,  or brake testing a fully loaded truck, because there journey was impeded, by a second,

Then Lycra warriors coming up the left side as your turning left, then screaming you nearly killed me,
If i was to be a dash camera warrior and post everything from everyday, there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.
Hoof'land storeman.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 30 August 2017, 08:47:51 »

I've given up, at the amount of times car drivers have at the last minute they want that exit and gone across 3 lanes, causing, vehicles to brake, or coming down slip roads and pulling straight out,  or brake testing a fully loaded truck, because there journey was impeded, by a second,

Then Lycra warriors coming up the left side as your turning left, then screaming you nearly killed me,
If i was to be a dash camera warrior and post everything from everyday, there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

Know exactly what you.mean, when I did my defensive driving course in the London Ambulance Service our instructors all said consider most drivers to be total idiots which certainly seems to be the case nowadays.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 August 2017, 13:12:57 »

The only time I am on the left hand side of a lorry is when they are overtaking me, normally without slowing down and leaving me the obligatory 6 inches as well as my life flashing before my eyes.

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 30 August 2017, 13:32:28 »

The only time I am on the left hand side of a lorry is when they are overtaking me, normally without slowing down and leaving me the obligatory 6 inches as well as my life flashing before my eyes.

6 inches or 6 "inches"  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 August 2017, 14:32:12 »

6 inches or 6 "inches"  ;D

I have heard from previous girlfriends that few truckers even manage 6"  ::) ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.