Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: waiting for AA recovery  (Read 13921 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: waiting for AA recovery
« Reply #60 on: 29 April 2018, 20:57:22 »

Gosh. What a pain. I dislike faults that could be something or nothing. Have you got a you got a younger  family member you could send on a longer journey?  Working on the principle that a breakdown would be an adventure for them rather than a pain for us older folk.
The 28 year old and the 30 year old live  300 miles away and the 2 year old and the 3 year old are a bit too young.....
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 29 April 2018, 21:14:09 »

did you check live data (voltage and temp) of the ecu coolant temperature sensor
plus check earth straps etc ?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 29 April 2018, 23:14:39 »

did you check live data (voltage and temp) of the ecu coolant temperature sensor
plus check earth straps etc ?
I have checked live data and it gave plausible readings (VCDS doesn't show raw voltage inputs though)

Apparently there is a common earth point somewhere under the battery tray that is a common source of trouble - looks like I will be spending another day pulling the thing apart to try and find it  ::) **sigh**

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 08 September 2018, 21:13:11 »

Apologies for stirring up a dusty thread.......

Having changed the water pump and fitting a new cambelt kit the bloody thing has run without overheating for several thousand miles (and a few 700 mile round trips) until yesterday.

After a 5 mile trip the gauge went up to 130 degrees just 200 yards from home. I pulled over and tried not to swear at it (kids in the back) and watched the gauge drop straight back to 90 degrees (engine idling) so drove it home and parked it.

4 or 5 hours later I unscrewed the cap on the coolant bottle and it burped and spewed coolant over the battery (another class piece of VW design....).

I have resigned myself to the conclusion that exhaust gases are forcing their way into the cooling system and causing an 'air lock'. I really do not understand why the problem is intermittent though :-\

What are the odds that I can fix it by fitting a new head gasket ?

STEMO

« Reply #64 on: 08 September 2018, 21:17:17 »

Having changed the water pump and fitting a new cambelt kit the bloody thing has run without overheating for several thousand miles (and a few 700 mile round trips) until yesterday.

After a 5 mile trip the gauge went up to 130 degrees just 200 yards from home. I pulled over and tried not to swear at it (kids in the back) and watched the gauge drop straight back to 90 degrees (engine idling) so drove it home and parked it.

4 or 5 hours later I unscrewed the cap on the coolant bottle and it burped and spewed coolant over the battery (another class piece of VW design....).

I have resigned myself to the conclusion that exhaust gases are forcing their way into the cooling system and causing an 'air lock'. I really do not understand why the problem is intermittent though :-\

I wouldn't be fitting a new head gasket hoping that it fixes the problem, you need a proper diagnosis. Else you'll spend a fortune, and a lot of time, fixing things that might not cure it.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08 September 2018, 21:40:29 »

I wouldn't be fitting a new head gasket hoping that it fixes the problem, you need a proper diagnosis. Else you'll spend a fortune, and a lot of time, fixing things that might not cure it.
I totally agree - I am just hoping that someone has some experience of what goes wrong with these engines (1.9 PD tdi Volkswagen code "AUY")

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 09 September 2018, 00:06:32 »

I totally agree - I am just hoping that someone has some experience of what goes wrong with these engines (1.9 PD tdi Volkswagen code "AUY")

Friend of mine is having the same issue with his Galaxy,he's done stat and pressure cap and like yours it'll do hundreds of miles (towing tin tent mostly) and then he'll do a Shortish  trip solo and it'll play up,he's done chemical test on coolant for exhaust gases but that was ok.next step is head off but if gasket is sound then pressure test of head will follow
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 09 September 2018, 23:02:44 »

Friend of mine is having the same issue with his Galaxy,he's done stat and pressure cap and like yours it'll do hundreds of miles (towing tin tent mostly) and then he'll do a Shortish  trip solo and it'll play up,he's done chemical test on coolant for exhaust gases but that was ok.next step is head off but if gasket is sound then pressure test of head will follow

I haven't changed the stat or pressure cap as I tested the stat and that appears to be good and there is generally a big release of pressure when I unscrew the pressure cap.

What I did do today was discover a silly little plastic plug with a hole in it which lives in the pipe which connects to the top of the expansion bottle. After much prodding and poking I managed to extract it from it's hiding place and find that the hole was blocked. Cleaned it, put it back together, started the engine and the coolant (and gas) started flowing. After much burping and farting I had to add another litre of coolant and the interior heater started working :y

Marvelling at another piece of design failure from VW >:( and puzzling over whether the crap in the tiny orifice was
- the original cause of the overheating
- where the crap came from
- whether it came from a failing head gasket
- whether the overheating has caused any permanent damage

Either way I don't have the confidence to take the family on any extended journeys in it in the near future so we went out looking for a replacement / back up mummy bus  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 10 September 2018, 16:33:58 »

Apparently Jimbob is selling a Zafira ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 10 September 2018, 17:19:51 »

"One careful owner" ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 10 September 2018, 17:43:25 »

"One careful non-smokingflatulent owner" ;D
Honest, guv. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 10 September 2018, 17:51:06 »

"One careful owner" ;D
;D

Going on the feedback I have seen from Zafira owners (including TB) a Zafira hasn't made it on to my short list ::)

Every one I know who has one seems to have inherited it from an aging relative.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 10 September 2018, 17:54:14 »

"One careful owner" ;D
;D

Going on the feedback I have seen from Zafira owners (including TB) a Zafira hasn't made it on to my short list ::)

Every one I know who has one seems to have inherited it from an aging relative.....
They are not a car you could ever love.  But for a small car, surprisingly practical, and annoyingly reliable
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 10 September 2018, 18:51:44 »

And a C3 Picasso as it happens!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10 September 2018, 20:00:18 »

And a C3 Picasso as it happens!
It gets worse :o
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.