Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car buying  (Read 5569 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Car buying
« on: 26 January 2020, 23:08:51 »

Went to but a new (used) car for SWMBO yesterday. Evans Halshaw, cardiff

SFO for old car, admittedly very old with a lot of issues, so no surprises there

But, staggered by how much time and effort went into trying to sell us stuff we really didn't want. Didn't even understand what most of it was. Some kind of extended warranty, asset protection insurance, AA cover, some kind of bodywork coating thing. All of it would have been over £1k. Declined everything, so a senior manager came out to try and do better than the young lad. Dug heels in and no to everything. But over 4 hours to buy a car!

I'm happy with the car and end result, but it's hard work constantly saying "no".

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Car buying
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2020, 23:15:07 »

The answer to that is pretty simple, there's precious little margin in used cars anymore, all the profit for the stealer is in the outrageous finance costs, paint protection, bullsh!t insurance products etc etc.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2020, 23:36:49 »

I had all that when I bought my R Class ... GAP insurance ... wheel & tyre insurance .... minor parking ding insurance etc & had to sign to say that I'd read & understood what I'd signed etc
But when I got the ML I just said I didn't want any of the extra ins and that was that, the salesman just accepted it.  :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2020, 23:37:32 »

The answer to that is pretty simple, there's precious little margin in used cars anymore, all the profit for the stealer is in the outrageous finance costs, paint protection, bullsh!t insurance products etc etc.

Never quite thought of it that way. I assumed that the quite attractive sticker price was profitable. Anyway, Mrs now has quite a nice a 2012 V70. It's D3 which I thought would be underpowered, but really not too bad. Happy all round.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2020, 23:47:27 »

Nice!

Friend of mine has an S60 D2, which is a real sad sack. You have to work it so hard to get any progress. Glad the D3 is better.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2020, 23:56:02 »

Nice!

Friend of mine has an S60 D2, which is a real sad sack. You have to work it so hard to get any progress. Glad the D3 is better.

For some reason there are two versions of 2.0 D3, one at 135 BHP and another at 161. This is the 161. Noticeably different to my '06 XC70 at 185, but adequate, and economical.

Hang on, this is an Omega forum . . . .  ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2020, 00:34:19 »

Nice!

For some reason there are two versions of 2.0 D3, one at 135 BHP and another at 161. This is the 161. Noticeably different to my '06 XC70 at 185, but adequate, and economical.

Well there's plenty of chat about Range Rovers, Jaguars and even Astras!  :o

So I think that there's room for a little Ovlov corner.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2020, 06:30:11 »

Nice!

What do you mean 'even astras'? At least they are Vauxhalls.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2020, 09:41:49 »

Nice!

The D2 is the previous 1.6 110 bhp D3. They shuffled the numbers up and realigned them with their marine range several years ago  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2020, 09:50:47 »

The answer to that is pretty simple, there's precious little margin in cars. all the profit for the stealer is in the outrageous finance costs, paint protection, bullsh!t insurance products etc etc.
Fixed.

Always been that way... Jerry Lundergaard (William H Macy) in Fargo has this very conversation with a rather pissed off punter.

https://youtu.be/B2LLB9CGfLs

GM and Ford only make vehicles in order to create demand for GMAC and Ford Motor Credit. Manufacturer finance pays their bills and dealer add ons and finance kickbacks pay the dealers bills and the non manufacturer finance products keep the banks open.

Cheap brands are only cheaper on the forecourt because they cost less to make.  ;)
« Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 09:53:16 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2020, 10:53:21 »

I'm happy with the car and end result, but it's hard work constantly saying "no".

so say "goodbye" instead.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2020, 11:19:04 »

I posted up about a few years ago. As soon as I make it clear that there will be no 'add ons', the dealer loses interest and couldn't give a toss whether I buy the car or not.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2020, 11:48:11 »

Nice!

You've forgotten to mention the best car in the WORLD the  pussy magnet that is the 1.3 Marina...   
 Some of us have Posh Vectras (Saab) :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2020, 14:39:20 »

The answer to that is pretty simple, there's precious little margin in cars. all the profit for the stealer is in the outrageous finance costs, paint protection, bullsh!t insurance products etc etc.
Fixed.

Always been that way... Jerry Lundergaard (William H Macy) in Fargo has this very conversation with a rather pissed off punter.

https://youtu.be/B2LLB9CGfLs

Substitute Welsh accents, and that clip is remarkably close.  ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2020, 14:42:11 »

so say "goodbye" instead.

Tempted, but I did actually want the car and it was a 60 mile drive to get there. Advertised price £6,028 ( I have no idea where the £28 came from!) Eventually paid £6,076 total. Still happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.