Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: End of new build petrol cars...  (Read 6392 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: End of new build petrol cars...
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2020, 10:23:33 »

Anyone heard that at these motorway service stations with charging points for your EV, the £ of leccy equates to the same as petrol/diesel?! So the pence per mile is identical to ICE car. Yyyup, astonishingly enough theyre using it as a cash cow, whodathunkit?

Hm, where's Jimmy when you need him? He makes fairly regular use of these things IIRC..

Always said that I will give up driving at 80 , don't want to be one of those old duffers that has never had an accident but caused several , in my opinion over 80 is too old to drive.

If PE11 is anything like PE6 (the Deepings) where my folks live, you're going to want to move by then, then! There's bugger all out there ;D Although they do at least have a decent bus service into Stamford (they're 76 & 72 respectively, Dad - 72 - still drives, Mum gave that up a few years after she passed her test and bounced his car off the gate post while he was on deployment for the Gulf War ;D)

but then where does the government recoup the loss of revenue from VED fuel tax etc from?

What makes you think they aren't going to start taxing electric cars? ;) They'll either do that, or as DBG says, they'll mandate separate feeds/smart meters for charging cars and will tax that, instead. Either way, they'll get their pound of flesh, don't worry!

We are a 15 minute walk into Spalding so no intentions of moving again + we both have bus passes now so even Peterborough is just a 50 minute ride away. Never will have an electric vehicle , remember milk floats when I was a kid , electric just not progress in my eyes always aspired to V8s now on my third so completely satisfied with my motoring career.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2020, 10:35:26 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2020, 11:37:52 »

Due to the average age on this forum, it won't be long until Uncle STEMO and Lord Opti are bickering over who has the best buggie!  :P  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2020, 12:43:51 »

Due to the average age on this forum, it won't be long until Uncle STEMO and Lord Opti are bickering over who has the best buggie!  :P  :)

Don't lump me in with that geriatric light-fingered scouser.

I'm still in my prime.....still a babe magnet. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 February 2020, 20:36:44 »

Don't lump me in with that geriatric light-fingered scouser.

I'm still in my prime.....still a babe magnet down the day care centre. :)

FTFY M'Lud!   :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2020, 07:28:17 »

So why will your driving days be over? Everything will be self drive as well

Always said that I will give up driving at 80 , don't want to be one of those old duffers that has never had an accident but caused several , in my opinion over 80 is too old to drive.

Hmmm, having passed that magic number, I see many much younger who should not be driving. Only yesterday an idiot decided that driving at 50 along a narrow winding country lane, 6’ was an appropriate distance behind me. He discovered his error in a village, rendered single track by parked cars on our left, when he had to reverse 20yds to allow the oncoming bus through, which I, being a smug senile old duffer, had avoided in the only space available.  :P

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2020, 07:42:26 »

So why will your driving days be over? Everything will be self drive as well

Hmmm, having passed that magic number, I see many much younger who should not be driving. Only yesterday an idiot decided that driving at 50 along a narrow winding country lane, 6’ was an appropriate distance behind me. He discovered his error in a village, rendered single track by parked cars on our left, when he had to reverse 20yds to allow the oncoming bus through, which I, being a smug senile old duffer, had avoided in the only space available.  :P

Certainly not going to get into a debate over age regarding driving, as I said in my post this is purely my opinion / decision.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 February 2020, 08:46:13 »

I can only say that I have no problem being driven by my Dad who will be 83 this year  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 February 2020, 08:46:55 »

...., when he had to reverse 20yds to allow the oncoming bus through, which I, being a smug senile old duffer, had avoided in the only space available.  :P

;D ;D ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2020, 10:16:22 »

What type of generation are they going to use to supply all this power then? The high demand in winter uses nearly all the capacity we have already,  with perhaps 40 million vehicles  probably using more power per day than a house and more vehicles than houses, we will need to more than double what we have and build more pylons etc to supply it. how is it going to work?  Wind power and solar power surely won’t do it on its own and nuclear seems to be frowned on? Anyway just my thoughts.
Laying a rubber road.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2020, 10:28:16 »

What type of generation are they going to use to supply all this power then? The high demand in winter uses nearly all the capacity we have already,  with perhaps 40 million vehicles  probably using more power per day than a house and more vehicles than houses, we will need to more than double what we have and build more pylons etc to supply it. how is it going to work?  Wind power and solar power surely won’t do it on its own and nuclear seems to be frowned on? Anyway just my thoughts.

Stop using common sense .....  ::) ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2020, 10:59:36 »

My next door neighbour had two prangs in two days before Christmas.

He finally got around to getting them repaired as his car is on a PCP and goes back around Easter. He got the car back about a week ago and it already has a fresh scrape on the side :-X

On the flip side, I know a chap who is well into his seventies and still holds a current Class 1 licence, making a point of having a full medical every year.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2020, 11:01:13 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2020, 12:08:49 »

I can only say that I have no problem being driven by my Dad who will be 83 this year  :y

My Dad towed a caravan till he was 86,we only stopped him because of the physical issues with hitching up etc :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 February 2020, 13:26:10 »

but then where does the government recoup the loss of revenue from VED fuel tax etc from?

What makes you think they aren't going to start taxing electric cars? ;) They'll either do that, or as DBG says, they'll mandate separate feeds/smart meters for charging cars and will tax that, instead. Either way, they'll get their pound of flesh, don't worry!

They already do tax any electric vehicle with an original price tag of over £40K and have done for a while. Certainly Tesla fall in to this bracket for the first five years of ownership, with VED coming in at over £300 annually. By the time that five years is up, they would have thought of something else to fill the loss of VED. Possibly pence per mile, who knows.  :-\
There are plenty of Euro 6 diesels out there that currently cost £30 VED, but buy a new one now costing over £40K and the same vehicle will be around £465 annually for the first five years. It will then drop back to the original £30 VED, or will it.  :-\
Remember, even buying one second hand, it's the original purchase price to the first owner that counts for the first five years. As you say, the money has to come from somewhere.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 February 2020, 15:32:30 »

Many random thoughts on this matter:-
Manufacturers are already investing millions in their "classic car" divisions which by then will be capable of "restoring" old cars for as long as there are people rich enough to buy and run them.
Conspiracy theorists will also already be thinking that Governments would like to retain enough non-renewable fuel to fight the next war they decide to wage, because electric jet planes, tanks and warships (the non-nuclear ones) are some way off yet.
The majority of local trains will still have to use diesel engines, even if they have to run some sort of eco-fuel.
Cities should have "electrified" their trams buses etc to make that possible and personal transport will probably be excluded.
They could turn all the rural disused railway lines into cycle paths, that might compensate the landowners for not being able to keep animal pastures anymore.
It's funny how we are being encouraged to turn to riding bikes, whereas the Chinese all want cars now (with very effective pollen filters)!
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2020, 20:41:54 »

Climate change committee estimate we need 200,000 charging points by 2050 and investment of £100bn plus the equivalent of 10 Hinkley Point C power stations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.