Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand brake woes ... :(  (Read 4280 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Hand brake woes ... :(
« Reply #30 on: 24 June 2018, 22:09:35 »

Kicking around in the dust of OOF there's a thread where I replaced my rusted heat shield threads. It never made it as a How To, but in a nutshell I drilled out the old threads and replaced them with stainless steel machine screws and nuts. Had to lift the carpets to do the job properly, and it was judged as a waste of time by onlooking family when I did it(!), but a year or so later when I needed to get them off double quick for the impending MoT, what could have been several hours buggering about was a much quicker, pleasurable job.

I'd say well worth it if you intend on keeping the car, as I do.  :y

That must be the "gold standard" of a fix ...good work .. but I intend to be much simpler .. can't bear the thought of having to remove all the trim to remove the carpets and soundproofing !! and knowing my luck the seats would have to come out !! :(

When I do its a simple 1/8" drill as near to the centre of the sheared stud as I can, then a self tapper with a decent sized washer. Slap some hammerite over it and the jobs done !!

Lazy git me   :)

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2018, 23:18:07 »

I have to confess that when I did the shoes on mine I decided not to do battle with a 17 year old cable and adjuster and did all the adjustment on the adjusters within the drums. It seemed to work well, the MOT tester was happy and the handbrake actually works better than it did on the two year old Omega I had back in 2002!

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 June 2018, 19:24:30 »

Yes .thats the only way to do it properly anyway. Adjust up the drums correctly and 99% of the time the cable adjustment is fine.
Only then do you need to adjust the cable (after checking it’s still seated properly in the outer cable brackets)if it has too much travel.
And if you find the adjuster is seized and feels like it may snap you could add a washer to the cable brackets.(helps stop them opening up too !)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.