Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: secrets of the lost Fords never made  (Read 3269 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: secrets of the lost Fords never made
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2018, 20:02:46 »

Talk of Capri's always reminds me of a girl called Amanda that me and my mates all lusted after when we were about 19 or so.  :-*

She was hot, knew it and thought she was too good for the likes of us!  :(   Anyway she got a new boyfriend, who was a bit older, drove a 2.8i Capri and was a bit of a self-abuser to be honest.  ::)

One day walking past his car in the car car park we spotted a set of footprints on the inside of the windscreen!  :)  Oh how we laughed!  ;D

He probably bought them as transfers from Halfords. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2018, 20:07:54 »

Back in the mid nineties a woman I know owned a 2.8i with a 5 speed box.

It needed  thrashing to within an inch of it's life to have any meaningful acceleration due to a combination of leggy gearing and a lack of torque at low revs. I know the V6 Essex lump has been described as a 'boat anchor' but at least it had good low speed torque.

Turbo Technics (blast from the past but still trading I believe) did a nice job of resolving that. I was a member of Capri Club International (membership card still comes in handy as an ice scraper) and mentioned the mod to my mate. He had it done by them and it flew.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2018, 20:14:31 »

It needed  thrashing to within an inch of it's life to have any meaningful acceleration due to a combination of leggy gearing and a lack of torque at low revs. I know the V6 Essex lump has been described as a 'boat anchor' but at least it had good low speed torque.

Turbo Technics (blast from the past but still trading I believe) did a nice job of resolving that. I was a member of Capri Club International (membership card still comes in handy as an ice scraper) and mentioned the mod to my mate. He had it done by them and it flew.  :y

If the Cologne engine didn't have low speed torque I don't know what it did have. It was all over by about 5,000 RPM too, from what I recall, hence the gearing. ;D

I remember my Dad trying to decide between a 12v Granada and a 24v Senator back in the early 90s. It was hardly a difficult decision. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2018, 20:22:08 »

If the Cologne engine didn't have low speed torque I don't know what it did have. It was all over by about 5,000 RPM too, from what I recall, hence the gearing. ;D

You're confusing Cologne and Essex engines! A 2.8i will happily hit the rev limiter in the first four gears(which is about 6k); an Essex is running out of puff at 5, and done by 5.5 if your mechanical sympathy is turned off. If you're daft enough to remove the rev limiter from a 2.8i(it's on the rotor arm) it's easy to blow them up. The Essex can be improved by milling out the centre of the plenum under the carb, with no other mods it will eventually hit 6k, but do it frequently and you'll be resetting the valve clearances. Both use the same 3.02 diff ratio and similar diameter tyres.
Both suffer from timing gear failure, and the oil pump hex drive is truly shit. And they're heavy.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 20:24:55 by Nick W »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2018, 20:27:31 »

I remember my Dad trying to decide between a 12v Granada and a 24v Senator back in the early 90s. It was hardly a difficult decision. ;D
Chalk and cheese...

The 2.9 Cosworth 24v V6 would give a 3.0/3.2 Omega a sound kicking (if only because the Granada is about 200kgs lighter.

That said both will cruise at Vmax. Allegedly  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2018, 09:25:09 »

A mate of mine had a Brooklyns 280 Capri with Turbo Technics conversion from new,that was interesting in the wet when the turbo lit up :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2018, 09:33:45 »

You're confusing Cologne and Essex engines! A 2.8i will happily hit the rev limiter in the first four gears(which is about 6k); an Essex is running out of puff at 5, and done by 5.5 if your mechanical sympathy is turned off. If you're daft enough to remove the rev limiter from a 2.8i(it's on the rotor arm) it's easy to blow them up. The Essex can be improved by milling out the centre of the plenum under the carb, with no other mods it will eventually hit 6k, but do it frequently and you'll be resetting the valve clearances. Both use the same 3.02 diff ratio and similar diameter tyres.
Both suffer from timing gear failure, and the oil pump hex drive is truly shit. And they're heavy.

Possibly I am. Both are regarded as rather asthmatic boat anchors in the kit car world, and that Granada test drive told me why. ;)

A Rover V8 is a horribly flawed engine, but even they are lighter, more powerful, make a nicer noise and are more reliable.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2018, 11:56:04 »

Talk of Capri's always reminds me of a girl called Amanda that me and my mates all lusted after when we were about 19 or so.  :-*

She was hot, knew it and thought she was too good for the likes of us!  :(  Anyway she got a new boyfriend, who was a bit older, drove a 2.8i Capri and was a bit of a self-abuser to be honest.  ::)

One day walking past his car in the car car park we spotted a set of footprints on the inside of the windscreen!  :)  Oh how we laughed!  ;D

.......A combination that is more like to get her knickers off than a spotty 'yoof'  with a Marina. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2018, 12:22:45 »

As a kid I lusted after a 3 litre Capri. Had to be the 3000GTXLR though. What the additional XLR pack consisted of I have no idea.

Later they were badged 3000E and then 3000 GXL.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2018, 12:41:39 »

She was hot, knew it and thought she was too good for the likes of us!  :(  Anyway she got a new boyfriend, who was a bit older, drove a 2.8i Capri and was a bit of a self-abuser to be honest.  ::)

.......A combination that is more like to get her knickers off than a spotty 'yoof'  with a Marina. :)

This is true M'lud, but we did enjoy telling her that her boyfriend needed to clean the inside of his windscreen, especially on the passenger side.   She looked baffled at what we were laughing at, but later when she realised was suitably embarrassed!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.