Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another one refusing to start  (Read 2006 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Another one refusing to start
« on: 28 July 2007, 19:54:06 »

Parked up for a hour or so today and on my return the car wouldn't start >:(

Cranked over normally, just wouldn't fire. Tried a floored throttle and such like. Nothing. Not a hint of wanting to fire at all. Opened bonnet and pulled a few connectors about to check for loose ones, checked all fuses, generally tried to look like I had an idea why it was doing this to me ;)

SWMBO said it sounded funny when cranking so I told her to crank it while I listened under the bonnet, convinced it had sounded quite normal. Damned thing started first time for her >:(

Played up a little next time I stopped but started on second or third attempt.

No EML showing and it runs normally once started.

I'm thinking it's either the crank sensor or that the transponder was not un locking the immobiliser (interference, maybe?). Would a code 19 light the EML? Might have to find a laptop that'll run cheapo tech2 and check just in case.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Another one refusing to start
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2007, 20:06:58 »

Parked up for a hour or so today and on my return the car wouldn't start >:(

Cranked over normally, just wouldn't fire. Tried a floored throttle and such like. Nothing. Not a hint of wanting to fire at all. Opened bonnet and pulled a few connectors about to check for loose ones, checked all fuses, generally tried to look like I had an idea why it was doing this to me ;)

SWMBO said it sounded funny when cranking so I told her to crank it while I listened under the bonnet, convinced it had sounded quite normal. Damned thing started first time for her >:(

Played up a little next time I stopped but started on second or third attempt.

No EML showing and it runs normally once started.

I'm thinking it's either the crank sensor or that the transponder was not un locking the immobiliser (interference, maybe?). Would a code 19 light the EML? Might have to find a laptop that'll run cheapo tech2 and check just in case.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

What you describe is exactly the same as my experience when I had the crank sensor fail on me, and yes code 19 was read...  It didnt light my EML when this happened.

Jon

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2007, 20:16:25 »

Hi Kevin

I have been told that even tho my 2.2 will start with crank sensor unplugged, that the 2.6/3.2 will not, so going on that id go for crank sensor.

If it was imoboliser prob you would get EML flashing when cranking.

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2007, 20:27:47 »

Identical to my crank sensor :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2007, 20:29:09 »

If it was imoboliser prob you would get EML flashing when cranking.

Ahh, that's narrowed it down, then. Thanks. The lights came on as normal with the first turn of the key, airbag, ABS, etc. went off and nothing changed with the lights when I cranked it.

Sounds like I better get another crank sensor ASAP!

.. and we're thinking about driving it to Italy for summer hols soon :o

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2007, 21:34:10 »

Well change the crank sensor then off you go, just make sure you take out breakdown cover just in case ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2007, 09:11:10 »

These were the symptoms that I had when my sensor started to fail.  Sometimes I would need to crank the engine two or three times before it would start.  I never had a non start situation though.

I since replaced the sensor and the difference in starting is remarkable.  First turn of the key.  It even seems to have improved economy and, when cruising, the engine revs are lower.  The last two points may be subjective and in my imagination though!

Changing the sensor only took me around half an hour, that included walking to the dealer and back to get the part!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2007, 10:44:00 »

crank sensor....   19 will not illuminate eml, which is why around 10% of us are driving around with a faulty sensor....
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2007, 12:01:13 »

Well, TC card arrived yesterday so I'll be off to the VX garage tomorrow lunchtime for a new sensor. Was going to get a spare anyway but it looks like it beat me to it. ::)

Will root around for a decent laptop with a real serial port as well, so I can check for a 19.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2007, 23:10:35 »

Well, TC card arrived yesterday so I'll be off to the VX garage tomorrow lunchtime for a new sensor. Was going to get a spare anyway but it looks like it beat me to it. ::)

Will root around for a decent laptop with a real serial port as well, so I can check for a 19.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Sounds like you had your code 19, but courtesy OOF ;-)

Hope you get it fixed OK and check out the rewiring route to help avoid it going iffy again.  Cable needs to be away from sources of heat.  See maint guide.  Jon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2007, 19:11:43 »

Well, hooked up the cheapo Tech 2 today and got a trouble code 0335 with the engine running. A search on here revealed that this is normal with engine stopped but points to crank sensor if it appears when running?

Anyway, new crank sensor on order from stealers. Should arrive Wednesday >:( £42.08 after presenting ABS card  :y

Kevin

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2007, 20:04:47 »

Well, hooked up the cheapo Tech 2 today and got a trouble code 0335 with the engine running. A search on here revealed that this is normal with engine stopped but points to crank sensor if it appears when running?

Anyway, new crank sensor on order from stealers. Should arrive Wednesday >:( £42.08 after presenting ABS card  :y

Kevin
i think on dbw, the 0335 is a stored cranksensor fault, so if seen, replace sensor...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2007, 23:52:17 »

Kevin

I assume that incl vat which is correct TC price  :y

jay_jay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2007, 20:51:03 »

hi having the same problem with my omega just wanted to known is where is the crank sensor can anybody help me

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2007, 21:07:22 »

hi having the same problem with my omega just wanted to known is where is the crank sensor can anybody help me

Engine size??  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.